.300 wsm pressure signs

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Dexter Grayson, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Dexter Grayson

Dexter Grayson Member

I'm shooting my tikka .300 wsm with 180 gr AB's over 66 gr of RL-17 (max sammi) at 2.895 coal, in nosler brass. This load has performed great for me so far, but when I was shooting yesterday I noticed the bolt lift was a little stiffer than what I remembered. So I threw a couple of factory nosler loads down range and paid close attention to the lift, and my reloads definitely had a stiffer lift.

I've probably shot 40-50 of this load
    I have not shot it over a chrono yet.
    The brass does not show any pressure signs.

My question is am I just being nitpicky or do you guys think my pressures are too high?
    And if they are high what is my next step?

2. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Was the day warmer when you noticed the bolt lift issue? They say the powder is temp sensitive, but I have not proven that for myself yet.

I ran RL-17 up to 65 gn in my 300 WSM with 180 NBTs, but thought it a tad hot and backed off to 64 gn. Once reason for the backoff was to see how the load performed in warmer weather. It was about 50 deg when I developed it. Also, the Alliant web site list 66 gn as max for a 180 Speer bullet, but that is a SPEER bullet, not a NOSLER AB. The bullets bearing surfaces could be different and that would affect the max load.

I would back off to 64 or 65gn and see if it relieves the issue.

3. Dexter Grayson

Dexter Grayson Member

It was a touch warmer. I got the max load from nosler.

I'll load a couple at 64-65 range and see how the lift is. Thank you for the reply.

4. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

That is a hot load ...66g RL17 in a 300 WSM and 180gr Accubond. Quick Load shows that load at 66,227psi with max pressure being 63,817. I would say that 64gr is pushing it with RL17. That would be a OK load with RL19 or 22.

If Nosler gave you that load are you sure they were not thinking 300WM? I would back off to 62gr and come back up. I think if you pay close attention you will find brass or primer pressure signs around 64gr or a stiff bolt.

Those numbers above came out of Quick Load with a temp setting of 40 degrees. The warmer the more the pressure goes up. All rifles are different so keep fooling with it....be safe!!

5. Barrelnut

Thanks, Jim. Very good info. I think I need to bite the bullet and get QL

6. Barrelnut

Also... I have a long throat on my 300 WSM for the 210 berger. So when I use a 180 Gn bullet I have lots of throat left. I think that is how I'm getting to 64 Gn of RL-17 without pressure. Just another reason to get QL and figure out some of this out myself I guess.

7. Dexter Grayson

Dexter Grayson Member

Awesome info. I'll call nosler again tomorrow and verify what I think I heard.

Thanks

8. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

If you reload for different rifles and fool with different bullets and want to figure out where the powder is burned at 100% with a particular load and a whole lot more it will be the best money you can spend on a reloading "tool" Customer service is fair-good.

9. Dexter Grayson

Dexter Grayson Member

What are the repercussions of shooting a load that hot?

10. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

You run the risk of damaging your rifle, potentially yourself, especially when shooting in hot weather. A hot load at 60-70 degrees with rl17 gets real hot at 90 degrees. Other than the risk of damaging your rifle, brass life suffers.