300 WSM popularity??

The 300 WSM is a great round.I really like mine and it is very accurate too.I feel it certainly fills the gap between the 30-06 and the 300 Win. Mag and that really puts it purty high on the totem pole of versatile cartridges.I'm sure the 300 WSM will be around for a real long time simply because,it's just that good.
You make me feel better about having 325wsm. Prior to that I had 12 guage(slug/shot),30-06,.223 and 22LR thinking I was covered-lol. 338 Lapua would have filled up a gap for me in terms of long range/energy. You certainly helped ease my buyers remorse.

Absolutely! There is only the .300 Win. Mag. which might do a little better with larger body animals and those with bigger teeth...;) But the .30-06 is still highly respected by most knowledgeable hunters and shooters.

Buy it with confidence and go shoot it!:D

So what? And who cares?

The 300 WSM is fine outstanding cartridge fully capable of stopping any North American game. It has all the same range of bullets available that the .30-06 does but has more case capacity.

Notoriety has no bearing on cartridge choice. Some of us thrive on having little known or unknown cartridges because it sets us apart from everyone else! But it doesn't mean that we're sacrificing performance by any means. I've even shot a 300 WSM in competition in F-Class with stellar results!:D

Buy it, load for it, shoot it!

Enjoy the process!
Tell him to check out the .325 WSM. I had one and loved it. But the 300 WSM is a fantastic cartridge, and is only around 50 fps behind the old school Winnie. The only complaint I ever see about them is the rebated rim. Which I don't see why that is an issue. Maybe if a case gets stuck, it can't hold it as tight?
I own two 325wsm rifles. Love them. I may convert them to 300wsm one day. Maybe not.

Absolutely! There is only the .300 Win. Mag. which might do a little better with larger body animals and those with bigger teeth...;) But the .30-06 is still highly respected by most knowledgeable hunters and shooters.

Buy it with confidence and go shoot it!:D

So what? And who cares?

The 300 WSM is fine outstanding cartridge fully capable of stopping any North American game. It has all the same range of bullets available that the .30-06 does but has more case capacity.

Notoriety has no bearing on cartridge choice. Some of us thrive on having little known or unknown cartridges because it sets us apart from everyone else! But it doesn't mean that we're sacrificing performance by any means. I've even shot a 300 WSM in competition in F-Class with stellar results!:D

Buy it, load for it, shoot it!

Enjoy the process!
A guy set 1000 yard world record with 300wsm. I think he used 211 grain Bergers in F class. And a couple of others have won 1000 yard F class with the 300wsm.

Pretty good revival of an old topic. I was hoping to see what people currently thought of the WSM calibers.

The 300 wsm is a proven winner! With that in mind, I recently designed the 300 Max because of the superior quality brass which the wsm will likely never see, from what Im told. I would really like to see a couple of 300 max rifles built to compare to the wsm by people who have owned them.
I have no doubt that the max will top out around 3000' with a 215 in a 26" barrel.
The Max has very low body taper and a 40 degree shoulder coupled with a .314" neck length (about . 016" longer than the wsm). Case capacity is marginally less but has proven in the 7 max to keep up or exceed 7 wsm velocity. Here is a pic of the 300 Max loaded with a 215 at 3.090" to the lands. The body/ boat tail jct is positioned slightly up into the neck where it belongs. I expect a loaded accurate round would be about 3.075" coal for full performance with a 215 Hybrid.
IMG_20190716_132932910.jpg
IMG_20190716_132704894.jpg

The 300 wsm is a proven winner! With that in mind, I recently designed the 300 Max because of the superior quality brass which the wsm will likely never see, from what Im told. I would really like to see a couple of 300 max rifles built to compare to the wsm by people who have owned them.
I have no doubt that the max will top out around 3000' with a 215 in a 26" barrel.
The Max has very low body taper and a 40 degree shoulder coupled with a .314" neck length (about . 016" longer than the wsm). Case capacity is marginally less but has proven in the 7 max to keep up or exceed 7 wsm velocity. Here is a pic of the 300 Max loaded with a 215 at 3.090" to the lands. The body/ boat tail jct is positioned slightly up into the neck where it belongs. I expect a loaded accurate round would be about 3.075" coal for full performance with a 215 Hybrid. View attachment 141744View attachment 141746
Looks like that would have to be built on something other than a short action? Or if a short action would have to be single feeded because that length would not even fit in an extended magazine correct?

The case is .085" shorter than a wsm
I built my 7 max on a 700 LA with a Kwik Klip and it feeds great. It will run a 195 over 3000' in a 26" barrel and thats why Im confident that the 300 will make 3000' with a 215

When you talk rifle cartridges popularity. There is one thing many modern shooting cartridges can't compete with the 30-06 is, These cartridges have never been to war. I know old men when I was a kid swore by the 45-70 and 30-40 Craig, Because they was their service weapon when they was in the military.
Of the generations now about gone were soldiers in WW 1, WW II and Korea. Their issue rifle was US 30 cal. Military spec. For the shell fired in 1903, 1917, BAR and M1 Garand rifle. Civilian name 30-06 Springfield. The survivers of these generations are very few now. But they bet their life on the 30-06 and survived. Any soldier from about 1964 to present who has been in battles carried a AR15/M16 for a personal weapon.
That is why you see so many empty 5.6/ 223 Rem. and 9mm cases left behind at public ranges today.
The era of the M-14 7.62X51 ( civilian name 308 Win.) was a very short period in US Military history and only has stayed in US Armed Forces as Sniper rifles, M-60 Machine Gun and some Gatlin Gun special use weapons.
I have a Kimber Montana 300 WSM I bought in 2004, It has White tail, Elk and Caribou to its credit.
Seems the 300 WSM cartridge was designed for use in a light mountain rifle. Short Action, Good velocity with a 180 gr. bullet as a walking hunt high country rifle, With enough power for about all USA, Canada Game. Except big bears up close. If the cartridge was to be used for long range, With heavy bullets then a longer action would need to be used for magazine length.
I have seen 300 WSM ammo in stores in Alaska, Canada and in Western US States.
Its your choice, Good Luck in your choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.