300 WSM popularity??

mtelkhntr78

A buddy and I were at the local gun gun shop the other day becasue he was looking for an "all around" hunting rifle. He is not a real serious hunter so he wants a "do-all" cartridge. Naturally the 30-06 comes to mind when thinking about an all around cartridge for North America. However we came across a really nice used Winchester in 300 WSM with a decent Leupold on top for a steal of a price.
His concern was that the 300 WSM may not what he wants becasue it doesnt carry the notoriety/popularity the '06 and 270 carry.
What do you all think about the 300 WSM's versatility and longevity? Do you think it will be the '06 of the 21st century?

A buddy and I were at the local gun gun shop the other day becasue he was looking for an "all around" hunting rifle. He is not a real serious hunter so he wants a "do-all" cartridge. Naturally the 30-06 comes to mind when thinking about an all around cartridge for North America. However we came across a really nice used Winchester in 300 WSM with a decent Leupold on top for a steal of a price.
His concern was that the 300 WSM may not what he wants becasue it doesnt carry the notoriety/popularity the '06 and 270 carry.
What do you all think about the 300 WSM's versatility and longevity? Do you think it will be the '06 of the 21st century?

I absolutely love my 300wsm. I can load it anyway I want from 130g Barnes for antelope and 190g Bergers for elk. I built mine on a long action so I never have to worry about the length of bullets in the magazine.

But, I think the '06 of the 21st century will be the 30-06. It still does everything most people need. Especially with the newer high bc bullets.

300WSM is liked by many, here included. Excellent for longrange hunting and used to some degree in BR. Similar ballistics to the 300 Win Mag but, can be used in a short action. It's been around since 2001 and I think it will be around for a long time. Whether it surpasses the legendary 30-06 or not I don't know and I'm not sure it should matter. Decide what cartridge meets your needs and go for it and enjoy.:)

Buy the dang thing or tell me where it is so I can. It is arguably as good an all purpose cartridge as anything. I own one and love it. My wife knows I need another rifle. I haven't bought one since yesterday when I stole a 257 wby at cabelas for $300 in the box. If you get a good deal, buy it!

I think the 300 WSM has definitely carved out a significant market share and is here to stay. The 300 WSM is carried in most any place that sells ammo in my area, and it's loaded in a good variety of loads. For the handloader, the options are almost limitless. I've found it as easy to load for as my -06s and it easily outperforms them.
Having said that, the -06 is pretty good too. My first -06 was/is a real mule kicker compared to my 300 WSM (probably more of a stock design issue since my 300 WSM is over a pound lighter). I recently picked up a Savage 30-06 for a song and discovered that the savage stock design and excellent recoil pad make it a ***** cat compared to the older Rem 760 trombone action version.
So, you can't go wrong either way; but I'd lean towards the 300 WSM for the additional velocity and the price you mentioned.

-warthog97

The 300 WSM is a great round.I really like mine and it is very accurate too.I feel it certainly fills the gap between the 30-06 and the 300 Win. Mag and that really puts it purty high on the totem pole of versatile cartridges.I'm sure the 300 WSM will be around for a real long time simply because,it's just that good.

I honestly think there will never be a cartridge that will reach the popularity of the 3006. The wsm is a wonderful rifle, but face it... the 30-06 stormed the gun market last century and is here to stay. It was an amazing cartridge in 1906, and a very very good one yet in 2010! It isn't the best, but it has a reputation that is match like no other.

However, I do think you will find wsm ammo on the shelves in 50 years too.

Thanks for all the replies! I am just trying to get some outside opinions on the 300 wsm. I am a big fan of both the '06 and the 300 wsm. I started out hunting with an '06 and it has a special place in my heart as I have taken many Elk, deer, antelope and coyotes with the two 30-06s I have. About two years ago I wanted to give the WSM a try and since then I have been hooked. In fact my next rifle will be a 300 WSM. I love the cartridge and everything about it and my buddy knows that. So I think he sees my opinion on buying that rifle as a bit one-sided and I cant blame him for that. Lots of good opinions so far, keep 'em coming!

I doubt the 300wsm will be the 30-06 of the 21st century. However it is a great caliber and hopefully will survive. I say that because I have two 325wsm rifles and they are less popular than the 300wsm. Conversions from one wsm to another should be easy though. Just in case I don't I got plenty of brass. the aforementioned are considerations for your friend if he got the 300wsm. 30-06 by far is more practical and presents so many more options.

Last edited:
He is not a real serious hunter so he wants a "do-all" cartridge. Naturally the 30-06 comes to mind when thinking about an all around cartridge for North America.

Absolutely! There is only the .300 Win. Mag. which might do a little better with larger body animals and those with bigger teeth...;) But the .30-06 is still highly respected by most knowledgeable hunters and shooters.

However we came across a really nice used Winchester in 300 WSM with a decent Leupold on top for a steal of a price.

Buy it with confidence and go shoot it!:D

So what? And who cares?

The 300 WSM is fine outstanding cartridge fully capable of stopping any North American game. It has all the same range of bullets available that the .30-06 does but has more case capacity.

Notoriety has no bearing on cartridge choice. Some of us thrive on having little known or unknown cartridges because it sets us apart from everyone else! But it doesn't mean that we're sacrificing performance by any means. I've even shot a 300 WSM in competition in F-Class with stellar results!:D

Buy it, load for it, shoot it!

Enjoy the process!

Tell him to check out the .325 WSM. I had one and loved it. But the 300 WSM is a fantastic cartridge, and is only around 50 fps behind the old school Winnie. The only complaint I ever see about them is the rebated rim. Which I don't see why that is an issue. Maybe if a case gets stuck, it can't hold it as tight?

It's a Fantastic Cartridge design in each and Every Caliber go Enjoy it , why do you think it's so copied ,and it's Super Efficient to Booth !!! ,cheers !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.