300 wsm or 6.5 prc

I have a 300 WSM and currently working on finding an accuracy load for a new 6.5 PRC. I had the same question. I decided to go with the 300 for elk and the 6.5 for deer. Due to mag length limitation, I'm going to try a hammer bullet at higher velocity and not worry bc. My limit on range for elk will be under 500 yds, so a mono that penetrates should work.

Not changing the subject, but changing thought pattern, would he be able to use his current .30 barrel and do a switch barrel set up?

hunt 2014.JPG
Apples vs Oranges I know, not very similar cartridges but hear me out.

I want to build a decent all around rifle(mostly mule deer and elk every other year) for backpacking and am wanting to keep the weight around 9ish pounds. To me that is a decent weight for shoot-ability and pack-ability.

I have a trued up Remington 700 short action with a magnum bolt face. I picked up a fluted Bartlein #3 chambered in 308 win(only 200 rounds through it) awhile back from a close friend for dirt cheap(shot fine but he decided to go a different caliber).

I was thinking about just having the 308 barrel punched out to 300wsm gunsmith said it should be pretty easy to do but the 6.5 prc has caught my attention as of late.

So what do you guys think I should do, go with the wsm or buy a new barrel and go prc??

I posted this on Rokslide as well but was curious to see what you all had to say.
I run the 300 WSM. I wasn't concerned with "the best caliber for...." I was concerned with ammo availability if SHTF. I run handloads through it for everything, but have the ability to buy factory and still find the ammo in nearly every store. Several people, and myself have taken deer, elk, rock chucks, and targets out to 1100 yds. The rifle is a Remington action that was re-barreled by RSE customs out of 29 palms. I had no access to a lath at the time, although now I build my own rifles. I would not change anything other than barrel weight/profile. My rifle is 16lbs and with the brake I can spot my own shots easily. It is however not my favorite thing to pack around in the high country. I would go with a thinner barrel profile on my next build. Just a little heavy.

I own a 300 WSM and a 6.5-284 Norma (which is ballistically the same to the PRC). Love them both. But, when it comes to elk, my 300 WSM gets the call every time (or I break out the 338 Lapua). I tend to quote Jeff Brozovich when it comes to elk, and he says you need a 30 cal or bigger when you hunt elk. Not that the 6.5 won't get the job done, but like many, I feel you owe it to the elk to take him down as quickly as possible and the bigger bullet gives you a little more "fudge factor" as well as a bigger thump and larger hole.

TREE FARMERs thoughts make sense to me. On occation I use a 6.5 / 26 Nosler for deer but prefer 30 cal for Elk. Never owned a 300 Wsm before this off season but bought a Sako 300 Wsm and had a long action 700 built to 300 Wsm. With brake mine just do not kick, just push. For tunning new scopes finding factory ammo with great bullet sellection is excellent at reasonable prices. Reloading options seem unlimited. I am in the process of tuning several brand of bullets including Hammer 174 and 181 grain bullets. Here at LRH Dougduey has been most helpfull to me with the 300 Wsm.

You didn't hear me say this.... but 300 WSM. I reload and I love what I read about the 6.5 PRC and wish we had longer shots where I hunt, as I could "JUSTIFY" buying one..darn it...but I do love my WSM...opps!...I mean, love the way it shoots. Just as soon walk up behind my Jackass and tickle his tail ! I have become a lil whimpy with recoil as I grow older...but no need for Magnums on deer at 100 yards. I can only use ballistics that I see on paper and as others have said, you owe it to the animal for a clean and quick. Are ya absolutely positive that you can't have both ? 2 guns are always better than one! 3 better than 4 and the list goes on.

I don't shoot with a brake... Like my ears too much. So thinking that one is more accurate with the rifle that is shot more often, how would you outfit your rifle, and what is your tolerance for recoil when shot a lot?

Personally, I went with 6.5prc.

I want to build a decent all around rifle(mostly mule deer and elk every other year) for backpacking and am wanting to keep the weight around 9ish pounds. To me that is a decent weight for shoot-ability and pack-ability.

I have a trued up Remington 700 short action with a magnum bolt face. I picked up a fluted Bartlein #3 chambered in 308 win(only 200 rounds through it) awhile back from a close friend for dirt cheap(shot fine but he decided to go a different caliber).

I was thinking about just having the 308 barrel punched out to 300wsm gunsmith said it should be pretty easy to do but the 6.5 prc has caught my attention as of late.

So what do you guys think I should do, go with the wsm or buy a new barrel and go prc??

I posted this on Rokslide as well but was curious to see what you all had to say.
I have both. My overall choice is the.300 wsm. Since you want an elk rifle. The guides I use in Idaho require a 284 or larger. They say that far to often they have to spend time tracking wounded elk with users of 264 and smaller calibers. I use the 6.5 for derr but have loaded 150 gr. in the 300 that does a fine job on deer as well.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM 24" barrel mounted on top is a Burris Euro Diamond scope 30mm tube weighting @ 8 pounds no sling. Of all the factory hunting rifles I have, it is the most accurate. I have seen a guy at the shooting range owning two same calibers but a different cartridge, 30-06 and the 300 WSM. But, there nothing wrong with desiring to have a semi-custom/custom rifle made. If the bucks are there, go for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.