300 wsm LR mountain rifle

Bucklowery

I am hoping to make the group elk hunt in the next few years and trying to prepare. Never shot an elk but know I need a well constructed bullet. I am wanting at least 190 gr but have heard a lot about those lighter hammer Bullets. I am sitting on a factory Remington 700 short action 300 wsm. It will be getting a match barrel probably criterion from NSS as I have had great accuracy with all of my builds. I would prefer to keep it blind mag and I am thinking a AG composite stock. They let me stop by the shop and tour the facility last year and handled all the models. Anyway I am more concerned and interested to see what everyone's recommends on barrel length, twist and bullet selection. I want to keep it balanced but not too long. I have not hunted the mountain much and can only imagine. It is fairly flat here on the florida and Alabama line. So this will be the elk gun. It will be threaded and most likely have a break on this hunt. It will be equipped with the TBAC 30 back home for those bean field white tails

Thanks

Buck

Hard to go wrong with a 24" 10 twist if your planning to shoot say, from 215 Berger's on down to 180s. If you don't mind packing longer barrels go 26 or 28 if you want. I hunt some thick stuff so I don't go too long.
I love the 215 myself for long range and it's killed well for me so far. Make sure tips are clear with the few ya hunt with if you run any open tip type.
Of course in your short action, it's really going to rule out the 215s and other long bullets. Unless you want to single feed. How long of a shot do you intend to be prepared for?
600 and in? Or further?

I should probably add that if you're interested in shooting a Hammer bullet heavier than the 181 you should look at their web site (or contact Steve) to determine the best twist rate for the application.
But ... mono-metal bullets are long and a 300WSM build will probably limit how far out a bullet can extend from the case and still fit in the magazine.

Thanks guys. I am thinking 700 is my max that I am comfortable with. I thought the length and feeding might be an issue but I know quite a few guys have build 300 wsm but they may all be running mags too.

Thanks

Buck

A lot of guys build the 300 wsm on a long action for just that reason. Look into the 300 Sherman Short. Based on a shorter saum case. PVA sells prefit , maybe others. It'll run with a wsm and actually fit with the long bullets we like.
However, to kill at 6-700 and in, you can still do a wsm on a SA and shoot the 200 grain accubond or similar. BC isn't really having huge affect yet at 600 or thereabouts.
All depends on what YOUR happy with as far as limits.

Here is a visual of how different weights can vary due to materials. (.30 cal) Left to right are a barnes lrx 200, a nosler partition 200, a grand slam 180 and finally a barnes ttsx 130.
A hammer as discussed for 1:10 twist would be HH 196. Bullets pictured IMG_2751.jpg are 1.622, 1.355, 1.165, 1.167 and (1.557 HH) respectively. Just have to decide how much powder /power you want to give up or gain.

If it is a short action, and plan on using Bergers, and shooting close to the lands then it may not work. Based on experience.
That's what I've been afraid of. I've had great success with 180 silvertips and 168 gr barnes vor-tx. Only used for long range whitetail so far, but intend to try elk when points get right (if ever). I feel confident with those bullets ~ 600, but would like better options in longer heavier bullets if I make it western hunting. Been thinking about starting over with new build or converting 300 wsm (rem 700 SA) to 6.5 PRC.

That's what I've been afraid of. I've had great success with 180 silvertips and 168 gr barnes vor-tx. Only used for long range whitetail so far, but intend to try elk when points get right (if ever). I feel confident with those bullets ~ 600, but would like better options in longer heavier bullets if I make it western hunting. Been thinking about starting over with new build or converting 300 wsm (rem 700 SA) to 6.5 PRC.
You would be OK for the most part if using a different brand of bullet that is not sensitive to seating depth.

I am not dead set on short action but I have heard of feeding issues if it was not already a wsm. Anybody doing a bdl style with wsm. What are you using for bottom metal

Thanks

Buck

I am hoping to make the group elk hunt in the next few years and trying to prepare. Never shot an elk but know I need a well constructed bullet. I am wanting at least 190 gr but have heard a lot about those lighter hammer Bullets. I am sitting on a factory Remington 700 short action 300 wsm. It will be getting a match barrel probably criterion from NSS as I have had great accuracy with all of my builds. I would prefer to keep it blind mag and I am thinking a AG composite stock. They let me stop by the shop and tour the facility last year and handled all the models. Anyway I am more concerned and interested to see what everyone's recommends on barrel length, twist and bullet selection. I want to keep it balanced but not too long. I have not hunted the mountain much and can only imagine. It is fairly flat here on the florida and Alabama line. So this will be the elk gun. It will be threaded and most likely have a break on this hunt. It will be equipped with the TBAC 30 back home for those bean field white tails

Thanks

Buck
Here is my 2 cents. With a wyatts box you can go 3 or 3.1. You don,t have enough horsepower for heavy bullets so my choice for you would be the new federal edge TLR in 175gr. Solid shank bonded tipped. G1 of .536, And I would not go shorter than a 23 inch barrel

Here is my 2 cents. With a wyatts box you can go 3 or 3.1. You don,t have enough horsepower for heavy bullets so my choice for you would be the new federal edge TLR in 175gr. Solid shank bonded tipped. G1 of .536, And I would not go shorter than a 23 inch barrel
Get the wyatts short mag box for the Remington. It is kind of pregnant compared to the regular and has a window cut in the side.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.