.300 WSM info

Ian M

Here is some interesting info regarding the .300 WSM. The engineer who developed the cartridge informed me that:

"...you must use a ball powder. Extruded
propellant will not get the numbers we get. The 180g bullets are loaded with WC760, a powder readily available to he public."

"Yes we have reload data. Take a look at our web site it should be there."

He mentioned that the 150 grain bullets are loaded with a powder that is not available to the public.

Just thought that some of you guys might find that interesting.
ian

Ian

Thanks for posting this. It had never occurred to me that they would be using ball powders, though it should have been obvious in hindsight. I have hear a number of people who used 300 WSM factory ammo in factory rifles complain about pressure signs, including some very stressed primers. Have you seen this in your testing?

I have found Win ball powders to generate some great speeds, often with good accuracy, but to be very susceptible to climate/condition change. I have sworn off using them for that reason.

Fergus

Fergus,
The reason that I became involved with the Winchester engineer was because of some high pressure signs on some factory loads during a recent shoot. We had to shoot in extremely hot conditions, the rifles and ammo was subjected to 109 degrees in the shade.

I am confident that the pressure resulted from the extreme shooting conditions - the amazing fact was that the ammo still shot superbly. We got sub 1/2 minute five shot groups at 100 yards with 150 Gr. Ballistic Silvertips and also 180 Fail Safe ammo. I have never seen Fail Safe factory loads shoot as well.

The rifle was built by GA Precision out of Kansas City, scope was a 5.5-15 Nightforce in Badgers. George Gardner owns GA Precision and I have been fortunate to shoot a number of his rifles recently - they are very accurate, beautifully made long range machines.

Dang Ian! You have been holding out on me!!! Being a native of Kansas City, I had no idea about George. I'll have to look him up as I have a couple of "project" rifles in the making. Glad to hear there's a good gunsmith nearby!

Chris,
George Gardner (GA Precision) builds superb shooting rifles, I believe his passion is long range heavy-barreled Rem. 700 based hunting and tactical rifles. I have shot several of his rifles, including some .338 Lapuas, .300 WSM & .300Win Mag and .308's in various configurations. They are great shooters.

George arranged for Eric Reed, a recently retired master armourer (Marine Corps) to work part-time with him. Eric worked on the development of the new Marine Corps sniper rifle. These guys know a bunch about building accurate rifles.

GA Precision is open daily from noon to six o'clock and their located in a very large area in the rear of a separately operated gun shop. Their address is: 2001 Clay Street, North Kansas City, MO 64116. Phone number is 816 221-1844. E-mail is:
[email protected]

George works closely with his buddy Marty Bordson, owner of Badger Ordnance. Marty sells tactical mounts and goodies (extended bolt handles, trigger guard assemblies, M-16 parts) that are absolutely top quality.

George has a rifle that he calls "The Rock" that we used extensively with excellent results out to 1000 yards down at the Badlands in Oklahoma. 22 inch deeply fluted Mike Rock 5R barrel, pillar bedded McMillan stock, Badger Ord. trigger guard, mounts, bolt handle. You supply the action and scope and get a rifle that will significantly exceed 1/2 minute accuracy. We shot that rifle hot and it kept putting one on top of the other.

In case this sounds like a blatant promotion for GA Precision - it is.
ian

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.