300 WSM Improved 40 degree

larryaguilar

Does anyone have experience with the Improved
300 WSM "300 Chubbyhawk"
Pac-nor can do it but will charge me an extra
$150 to cover the reamer cost

Anybody know a smith that already has it??

What do you guys think, is it worth going to the 40 degree version? Maybe it would get a little more room so that H4831 could be used to it fullest potential??
confused.gif

Well, I'm not sure I'd take a whole lot of taper out, maybe .007" max at shoulder, and then 5 more degrees in the shoulder, it looks to me like you should expect around 2 more grains of room.
Whether that's worth a rechamber and new dies is up to you.
You might see some improvement with the light and mid-weight bullets.

doesnt really seem like a worthwhile effort considering costs,just use a longer barrel to squeeze out a little more velocity-my-2-dave

Not even sure this cartridge even warrants that...
Kinda like the .308 Imp.. no real gain..
I heard that unless you gain 8% or better it just isn't worth it...

Man this cartridge is so efficient now and has such good accuracy potential .. I'm wondering what you see that I don't outta this thing??? Not that I am a no it all about this cartridge but just don't see what you do I guess...

Spend less money to get your rifle to load a round as close to 3.1" COL and you'll do much better. There's much more space wasted sticking that bulelt down in there than in taper/shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.