300 WSM Good deal or ???

COhntr

My son just picked up a Tikka T3X veil wideland in 300 wsm and was curious as to whether he picked a good rifle/cartridge combo. I personally own 3 tikka t3's and couldn't be happier but know nothing about the 300wsm. He wanted the knockdown power of a bigger 300 but with the shorter action. It came with 4 boxes of factory ammo and 42 rds of once fired brass, which is all the rifle has been fired. Now to find components and get some dies. Thanks in advance for any input. This will be his deer, elk, and bear gun

This model has a factory muzzle break, so i am sure it will help. So overall, it seems like he made a good purchase. Hopefully we will be able to find some reloading components after he shoots up the factory rounds. Thanks for the input

I've built two of these rifles and both really liked the 185 gr berger classic hunter. Got 2950 out of them, they fit well in a magazine, and we're crazy accurate.

Good rifle, good cartridge.

Brass can be a bit of a struggle, if you are looking for great brass ootb. Winchester is probably your best bet and neck turning equipment. Norma makes brass too.

Generally, they like ~180gr bullets with SAAMI chambers and 10 twist barrels.

I have a Model 70 .300 WSM that has taken many elk. It has shown great accuracy with 175 to 200 gr bullets. My grandson has a Tikka .300 WSM, that shoots best with 165 gr bullets. He is going to try the 160 gr Hammer Hunter, that is recommended for the Tikka with 1-11 twist. I have switched to the HH 181 gr, and it's the most accurate bullet I have ever shot. Plus you can actually get them!!