300. wsm for the Upcoming Big Game hunt

matt_3479

I have a pretty high chance of getting a moose tag this year and so does the rest of my party. I just recently bought a Browning A-bolt 300. wsm for my big game medium to long range rifle and will be taking it out looking for its first blood.

I have almost everything to reload except the main ingredients, the powder and the head. I dont know what bullet to use. This will be my first time reloading for the 300. wsm. I have reloaded for the 7mm, 30-06, 308 and 30-30. I am looking at maybe some 180 grain nosler accubonds. I dont know what else to try. Any suggestions. I wont be using Berger because those bullets aren't needed. I am not shooting 1000 yards. Longest would be 500 yards. my average would be between 100-300 yards and i just want a bullet that would do it and save the bergers for others who need the range more then me.

Any suggestions on powder and a head? and stories you want to share from your experience at the bench, in the field?

I use nosler e-tips and at 100 yrd with 5 shots i have one hole the size of a nickel. At 500 yrd its about a 3.5' group. But that is just what shoots great out of my savage 300 wsm. Just play around with a few diff ones and you will find the right load for your rifle.

Theres always the good ol' reliable IMR 4831. But I agree with Bigngreen, RL-17 will give you alot more velocity, and seems to be a go to powder for the 300wsm.
Nosler Accubonds would be great, but youd better get your hands on em quick after what happened to thier plant today.
My personal opinion on Elk/Moose size game to 600yds is a tough bullet. I want a bonded, or X bullet or other monometal. I trust tough bullets on big critters at close to mid range. For farther distance I go with a more ''fragile'' bullet like an SST, Berger, NBT, etc.

I just harvested an Elk with a .300 WSM, loaded with 200 grain Nosler Partitions. Loaded in Winchester brass, and using WLRM primers and 68 grns. IMR 7828 with a muzzle velocity of 2896 FPS. It worked well, and although most people use 180 grain bullets, I prefer the heavier bullets for Elk.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.