300 WSM for everything?

Elkwonder

I have a new FN TSR 300 WSM that I really like and although I haven't shot it or even started working up a load for it yet, I am sure it will be a shooter. I have a buddy that has one and it is an incredible shooter.
I have been thinking about going to one caliber for everything and REALLY learning that caliber well. I hunt everything from Antelope to Elk and really want a gun that will perform well out to about 600 on elk. This leads me to wonder how many people actually hunt with the 300 WSM exclusively. I will obviously have to put a brake on it due to the recoil, but I think the 300 WSM with a good 180 could be a pretty good do it all round and was wondering what others think? Thanks in advance

I know a couple of people who use the 300 WSM for most all of their hunting and a number of guys who run a 300 WSM as well as others, all run a 215 Berger in the 2850-2950 fps range depending on barrel length.

not quite sure if I have the overall length in the mag for the 215, but my buddies gun shoots factory 180 like lasers.

My goal this year is just that; .300 WSM for the 2015 hunting season. Mine has a 24" barrel and just started load development with 215 Bergers. Not sure if achievable but my goal is 2800 FPS or near.

The fastest on my initial load is 2698 FPS with 64.4 IMR 7828SSC, CCI 250, WW brass, CBTO = 3.03", CBTO = 2.231" - slight flattening of the primer but no increase lift pressure on bolt yet.

I've loaded some H4831SC but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. I have few more powders to try also to get to the velocity goal but will gladly take accuracy over velocity anytime. :D lightbulb

wonder, I load 185 Berger with H4831SC for my hunt pal's 300WSM stainless 26" Savage in a bedded Boyd's thumb hole stock. Once the seating was corrected it is amazingly accurate. Last fall he downed an elk one shot never took a step. Also hit a coyote off the gut pile at 450 the next morning. I don't recall there being enough recoil to warrant a brake, but he does have a Limbsaver pad which may help. Good luck

I see no reason why you can't do it all with that. I'm a many guns for many things guy because I enjoy them. That being said my dad has over 100 guns and only ever uses one. A 300 win mag. Very similar to the wsm. He has shot and killed everything in north america from yotes to moose. Hell he's even shot lots of large game in Africa with it. Just the rifle he loves likes the idea of the memories with that gun. Won't even let me redo anything on it lime the finish.

wonder, I load 185 Berger with H4831SC for my hunt pal's 300WSM stainless 26" Savage in a bedded Boyd's thumb hole stock. Once the seating was corrected it is amazingly accurate. Last fall he downed an elk one shot never took a step. Also hit a coyote off the gut pile at 450 the next morning. I don't recall there being enough recoil to warrant a brake, but he does have a Limbsaver pad which may help. Good luck

I'm not recoil sensitive and the .300 WSM's recoil is definitely tolerable but it is much more pleasant with an effective muzzle brake. An effective muzzle brake not only reduces felt recoil but also reduces the muzzle rise/fall ... being able to see targets on impact is priceless.

Attachments

• SWFA 5-25x50 SS HDFPP 3 of 3.jpg
    SWFA 5-25x50 SS HDFPP 3 of 3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 76
No reason a 300WSM can't do everything...and not a foregone conclusion you have to brake it. That is a personal preference. I shoot both a 300WM and 358 WSM which are not braked. The 358 tossing 225gr ABs at 2770 fps is not braked and is a light gun. The 300WM is a Sendero, so heavier, also not braked.

I have a 300WSM. I'm too much of a rifle junkie to shoot just one but if it had to be the 300WSM could indeed do it.

A brake is not necessary but also won't hurt. Depends on what and how you are shooting. Mine does not have a brake and probably won't get one.

If you are talking all north american medium/big game hunting, IIWM I wouldn't bother with a brake but if you are going to use the same rifle for varmints and range days... may be go for a brake.

You might be able to duplicate the "flat to 400" for antelope with a 130grain TTSX after that, you could make loads for everything up to 240grain SMKs. The Berger 210 Hunting VLD should make for a 700+ yard capability for big game. You can harvest little things with a big bullet but you can't harvest big things with a little bullet. LOL.

I have two along with other calibers and not sure it would be a "do all" for everything I shoot/hunt.

With that said, both are factory guns with no modifications and shoot extremely well with Berger 185 grain Hybrids and Barnes 180s over RL17.

I see no reason why you can't do it all with that. I'm a many guns for many things guy because I enjoy them. That being said my dad has over 100 guns and only ever uses one. A 300 win mag. Very similar to the wsm. He has shot and killed everything in north america from yotes to moose. Hell he's even shot lots of large game in Africa with it. Just the rifle he loves likes the idea of the memories with that gun. Won't even let me redo anything on it lime the finish.

ELKwonder- the 300 wsm is too short and squatty...... just kidding. a lot of the folks that have a 3000 square foot trophy room, fill it with one of the 300 magnums . see above. the difference in the in them doesn't matter. there is something to having one gun, and getting real good with it.

The 300WSM is probably the most versatile cartridge you can have. IMHO if I had to have 1 gun that would be it.
You can push 200-210 30 cal bullets @ 3000fps if you have a 28" barrel and have it set up to do so with the right reamer. You can shoot 230's in the 2850 range so getting it out to a 1600-1800 yards is no big deal. and with a brake and the fact that where talking 70 grains or less powder it's not abusive to shoot if your just logging some range time. It does everything the WIN MAG does with less powder and at least according to records better accuracy. There just isn't a lot to not love about the WSM (short and fat is where it's at)

I'd have to agree, not much you couldn't do with the 300 WSM. The bigger question would be weight, barrel, chamber and optics...how you want to set it up. Dark timber and open fields are different animals:)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.