300 WSM for elk hunting?

WEATHERBY460

What are your thoughts on this cartridge? Thinking of getting a Savage Ultralite in this. But not sure if this round would kill a big elk at 400 yards? Is it as strong as a 300 Winmag? Can it shoot heavier bullets?

As long as it feeds smoothly (some short fat setups struggle in this area), it is an excellent option and has no problem efficiently dispatching an elk up to the ranges you're speaking of. My suggestion would be to pick a bullet of proper construction for the type of hunting you think you will find yourself in 90% of the time. Don't pick a load for the hypothetical 10% unless it doesn't compromise the other 90%. For distances up to 400 yards, if it were me with your 300 WSM taking into consideration your restrictions, I'd load our 144gr Afterburner. Our 153gr would be a great option as well, but in my opinion, restricting myself to 400 yards, I'd opt for the higher muzzle velocity with still a very stout BC of the 144gr. You should be able to see 3350 fps, easily, and with a G7 of .234, that will cover you for anything you're considering with A LOT of extra margin.

What are your thoughts on this cartridge?

Great cartridge. Very accurate and easy to load for. Kind of snappy in a light rifle though - without a muzzle brake, I wouldn't want to go much under 9lbs all up. That's just me though ...

Thinking of getting a Savage Ultralite in this. But not sure if this round would kill a big elk at 400 yards?

With good bullet placement, no problem.

Is it as strong as a 300 Winmag?

Nothing inside 500yd will know the difference.

Can it shoot heavier bullets?

Yes, but the magazine length can be a bit of a problem on a true short action. 300WSM is at its best built on a 'medium' length action with a little more room in the magazine for those heavy bullets.

What are your thoughts on this cartridge? Thinking of getting a Savage Ultralite in this. But not sure if this round would kill a big elk at 400 yards? Is it as strong as a 300 Winmag? Can it shoot heavier bullets?
Oh HELLYEAH! Mine propels the 215 Berger at 2850 FPS. Run the numbers; it is no slouch.

Are you punking us...? I mean are you for real asking if a 300 WSM will do in an elk or not @ 400?

A yeah it will and for easily 2X that far, feed it appropriately and it'll do wonders...

Think of it as a win mag lite…though it's not very far performance wise. Less than 100fps and they seem to be inherently accurate.