300 wsm, deal or no....

earlcurtis67

I ran across a really good deal on a savage model 12 300 wsm. Comes with a 3x12 burris sig. series posi-lock scope, the factory stock and an aftermarket B&C stock. The problem is that I had set my mind on a model 12 or LRP in either 7MM mag, or 6.5x284. Im looking for a long range rig, I wil start out at 200 yds and work up to progressivly longer ranges as my skills increase. would the 300 wsm do that for me all the way out to 1k. Should I buy it and rebarrel later? what similer calibers will work with the 300 wsm action. A different scope will come later but the 3x12 burris would work for now. The rifle has a 26" fluted stainless barrel. opions, thoughts would be appreciated E

if its a good deal I would pick it up I don't know much about that cartridge but I know it in between 3006 and 300 win mag a little closer to the win mag and it is a perfect 1000 gun especially with 180s and up to 215s gr. Bullets its a shooter.....

The .300 WSM is a fantastic cartridge for long range shooting. More uniform ignition with the short/fat concept. I built a custom mountain rig a few year ago. Loaded, the package weigh 6.72 pounds loaded. With 168 Bergers, I had a load that would consistently through 5 at 4/10ths of an inch. The farthest I ever shot with it on paper or steel was 1050 yards. It printed an 9.3" group. I was extremely happy with that. Farthest game animal I ever shot with it was a nice 6x6 bull elk in the Bob Marshall Wilderness at 853 yards. Put him down in his tracks. Don't hesitate to buy it, just don't try to make it as light as possible like I did. :rolleyes:

300 WSM will get you there for sure - it is more than capable of 1K yards. It is a very versatile cartridge. I haved moved to shooting the heavies (210's) in mine, and it is a solid performer.

I will say that compared to the 6.5x284, you should expect significantly more recoil from a 300WSM. I ended up having a brake put on mine to make it more recoil-friendly.

RHC must be taking a beating with a sub-7# rifle!

Brandon

It was a kicker even after the muzzle and the decelorator pad. Extremely accurate but I got rid of it. Too much recoil and blast.

I was wondering about recoil but I figured w scope, bipod and rifle it would be about 12 lbs. would a brake be an option, the barrel looks to be around an 1'' E

I was wondering about recoil but I figured w scope, bipod and rifle it would be about 12 lbs. would a brake be an option, the barrel looks to be around an 1'' E

A brake would be no problem. My M70 tapered to .750" and my smith put a nicely blended 4-port on it.

Brandon

I love my 300WSM. Gonna go play 700 yards tomorrow on a 5" dueling tree as the target. I missed the 1000 yard game today due to a headache. :(

A good deal is a good deal. As a factory rifle that will reach 1000, yes it will. Well it should unless something is wrong with it. ;)

I have 8 30 caliber rifles.

The worst "feeling" recoil is the 30-06 hunting rifle. The worst recoil is really the 300 Weatherby 'Fibermark' but that has a lot to do with the rock hard but pad.

The 300 RUMs both have breaks that work really well.

The 300 WSM in it's original configuration was pretty harsh but nothing like the 30-06 or 300 Wby. Perhaps I got used to it.

The only way a person can claim that a 300 WSM has extreme recoil is if they have gotten used to shooting cartridges that have zero recoil like the 22-250, 243, 25-'06 and 308, or similar and anything else is automatically labeled as a "kicker"
I have 2 Tikka T3 Lites in 300 WSM and my wife and 14 yr old daughter shoot and hunt with them with absolutely no discomfort or are even aware of "recoil" .... even hot loads with 180 gr coated Barnes MRX at 3050 fps

The only way a person can claim that a 300 WSM has extreme recoil is if they have gotten used to shooting cartridges that have zero recoil like the 22-250, 243, 25-'06 and 308, or similar and anything else is automatically labeled as a "kicker"
I have 2 Tikka T3 Lites in 300 WSM and my wife and 14 yr old daughter shoot and hunt with them with absolutely no discomfort or are even aware of "recoil" .... even hot loads with 180 gr coated Barnes MRX at 3050 fps

Good for them. I can handle big boomers without a hinch or a flinch but when it gets to the point were it just hurts to shoot it, it means it's probably too much gun for you.

I personally think that, if your recoil sensitive you should stay away from anything that starts with a 3 or a 7 and ends with magnum also any thing that is going to reliably get you to 1000yrds is probably going to kick ya a little bit that's what the price of playing with the big dogs....

Kick has much to do with the stock angles and measurements. I have a 300 WSM Kimber. I would rather shoot it than my 700 Rem Classic 270 Win. That short fat case gives a quick powder burn without a lot of rocket effect from the barrel when the bullet exits. If you play with the big dogs be prepared to get bit or kicked. Good Luck.

If you haven't bought it yet, I hope it's still available :D

I shoot the Lazzeroni Patriot which is their 30cal short mag, just a little shorter & fatter than the WSM; I would expect ballistic equivalence. I've probably put more rounds through that rifle than most of my others combined. You can really eat up powder capacity with the long heavies while mag feeding though.....

You can expect pretty good bore life with near 300wm power & some pretty dern good brass availability. I too would recommend a brake, there is not reason not to.

The rifle you describe sounds like a pretty well put together rig, you may check the round count before you buy.

t

I love my model 12 300wsm...now throwin 210 bergers outa it and love it...will be adding an assassin brake next time I can get to the Houston area though. ..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.