300 wsm bullet selection for whitetails 0-700 yards

weaverism

I am building my first long range rifle in 300 wsm. I want to shoot whitetails and the range will most likely be 200-700 yards. My plan was to use 150 grain ballistic tips but after finding this website you guys have me wondering what would be the best bullet for this purpose. You seem to favor heavy matchkings. What bullet and or load would you recommend? I have a 1-10 twist barrel. Thanks.
grin.gif
smile.gif
confused.gif

weaverism,

Up front I'll tell you I'm new to LR hunting and that I've never had any experience with the 300 WSM. Be that as it may, I'll share with you what I've learned on this forum.

The 300 WSM is an upcoming favorite for LR shooting here on a variety of game. Most of the experts in here have recommended time and time again the Sierra Match Kings, Hornady A-MAX and Cauterucio bullets - all of which are "intedended for target shooting only". However, the arguments for shooting these types of bullets have convinced me to go with them. I'll tell you, like they told me, that the single most important thing in LR shooting is practice. Good optics, accurate rangefinders, drop charts, etc. all are required but practice is mandatory. Most of the guys here shoot several hundred or even thousands of rounds in preparation for hunting. So before going the length of setting everthing up for LR shooting in the way of equipment, make sure you have a good range to practice on.

I myself got myself a new LR whitetail rig for shooting the 0-700 distances. It is a Rem 700 Sendero in 7 RUM topped with a Sightron 6-24 X scope with mil-dot reticle. I am still waiting on my Hornady A-MAX 162 grain bullets to arrive so I can't tell you how it performs.

Remember, whatever bullet you go with, use it within its design range. Match bullets will work at LR. Hunting bullets may not work at 600+yards as they are intended for impacting at closer ranges and at higher velocities.

Good luck!

I might have unless someone can give a good reason to build that 284 on a 9 twist. All the barrel makers told me to go with the 8 twist for the 7 mm VLD's at long range. So that is what I ordered. I still have a little time to change my mind if some can tell me I need to.

Mountaineer,
Check the mil dot spacing on your Sightron on a barber pole with 4 inch bars at 111 yds before you use it to range or for hold offs. I have looked through a couple of Sightron mildot scopes and the dots were not spaced correctly at the designated magnification.

FWIW..
..I have had great results with the 162gr AMax's in 9 twist rifles.. My current 7mm WSM has a 9 twist Spencer barrel on it and it stabilizes them as far as I can tell.. I think the Remington 7mm mag has a 9.5 twist or something similar and it really likes the 162gr SST's and the AMax's.. Good luck.. d:^) JiNC

Weaverism, my mid LR rig is based on the 30 Gibbs which has performance very similar to the 30 WSM. For me, my bullet is the 165gr SST from Hornady.

Amazingly accurate, very reliable bullet performance and enough bullet weight and construction to go through shoulder etc. The best part is that it will work from off the muzzle out to 700yds+. The max impact vel is 3000fps and will work down to around 1500fps.

My muzzle vel is 3000fps so have the perfect combo. The ballistic tips may be going too fast for shots inside 150yds. If it does not blow up, the bruising would waste a lot of meat. Have not had that problem with the Hornady Interlock or SST.

Also, the higher BC of the 165 will help with more retained vel and energy at longer ranges. Performance will exceed the 150gr. At long range, bullet weight matters more then speed - all bullets are going pretty slow so bullet weight will give it more oomph on target.

Following that thought, the 180gr SST would be the best choice. However, I don't like the recoil and it takes up too much case space, so have settled on the 165gr as the best compromise between speed, trajectory, and game performance. Love it.

Jerry

Jerry,
Next week you will find out there are three bullets that are sexier than the SST. I bet you get a new favorite
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.