300 wsm build for european games, selective hunting in Italy

I'll respond on the hunting in canafa versus Alaska later as I need to get some work done at the office today lol. But I just looked and Tikka is carrying the 300WSM in all its models according to their website. As an alternate check the Sako although they are more expensive. I have 3 sakos but my latest is a model 85 finnlight that I rechambered from 7 RM to 28 Nosler. I set it up for long range elk (600 plus yards) but it's only shot a mule deer at 25 yards lol. Once it shots an animal it becomes a safe queen lol. I keep buying and buying lol.
I just got out of prison after a 12 hours shift, my situation was even worse ahah
41bis is no joke

Btw sako 85 is not longer in production and the s20 isn't made in 300wsm. Tikkas in 300 wsm exist, on paper.. my lgs owner, one of the biggest in Italy, said that tikkas in 300wsm are impossible to find, they are not even in stock in finland!

Why shooting an animal makes it a safe queen? Ahaha

Why not look into a 6.5x55? Excellent accuracy, recoil, balistics and game stopping power from small whitetails to moose. Also not to mention it's a popular cartridge in Europe from what I hear. I also have head a lot of guys using the tx3 I believe and having excellent accuracy with a variety of ammo. This is my sporter Carl Gustav and a mulley I shot at 200 yards with 140 grain Berger's, didn't take a step.
Nice buck my friend! Congrats! That bino is small!! What model is it?

Unfortunately i have restrictions on calibers, for boars and fellow deer only 7 mm and above with the exception of 270 win.. such a nonsense. Otherwise i would have considered 6.5 prc. I don't know much about 6.5×55 even if yes, it's pretty popular here. What MV you get with a 140 gr bullet?

Well son of a bee bop... you are so correct sir. The 85 is being discontinued. I did not know that. I haven't shot one of the S20s yet so I don't know what they are like.

The guns become safe queen's because I am a complete gun whore as the other guys have referred to themselves. I generally buy 2-4 guns (usually hunting guns) per year. So when hunting season comes around, I take 3 guns out per day. Hunt with 1 for 2-3 hrs, then out comes the next, etc. If one shoots something... well it's turn is done and onto the next.

I am a meat hunter and my wife and I pretty much live on wild meat. But it also means I wind up picking up extra tags lots of times in additional areas. I made the mistake shooting a trophy bull moose years and years ago and you had to chew the hamburger 30 times before you could swallow. And the guys I was hunting with were like you shoot it... you will regret it!!! And they were right. I haven't shot big whitetail or elk. Maybe the largest whitetail scored about 160 but some were OLD and even the meat smelled like leather and tasted like it. I'm pretty happy taking my 3-4 year old moose and elk. Whitetail... well just depends what walks out in front of me lol. This year 40 minutes into hunting this guy runs across the field in front of me at 350 yards. Season done.

Attachments

• 20221126_130128.jpg
    20221126_130128.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
Well son of a bee bop... you are so correct sir. The 85 is being discontinued. I did not know that. I haven't shot one of the S20s yet so I don't know what they are like.

The guns become safe queen's because I am a complete gun whore as the other guys have referred to themselves. I generally buy 2-4 guns (usually hunting guns) per year. So when hunting season comes around, I take 3 guns out per day. Hunt with 1 for 2-3 hrs, then out comes the next, etc. If one shoots something... well it's turn is done and onto the next.

I am a meat hunter and my wife and I pretty much live on wild meat. But it also means I wind up picking up extra tags lots of times in additional areas. I made the mistake shooting a trophy bull moose years and years ago and you had to chew the hamburger 30 times before you could swallow. And the guys I was hunting with were like you shoot it... you will regret it!!! And they were right. I haven't shot big whitetail or elk. Maybe the largest whitetail scored about 160 but some were OLD and even the meat smelled like leather and tasted like it. I'm pretty happy taking my 3-4 year old moose and elk. Whitetail... well just depends what walks out in front of me lol. This year 40 minutes into hunting this guy runs across the field in front of me at 350 yards. Season done.
It seems like overseas you don't get many animals per year.. that's a shame! But probably it's due to the huge number of hunters.. i get more than 30 animals per year and I feel very lucky in that regard

I don't care about trophies too, that's why female roes are my favourite prey now that we have suine african pest here and we can't take boars

Another option for you to consider is a 280 Ackley Improved. Get a nice light gun and loaded with 150 grain Barnes TTSX... it almost duplicates a 7mm RM.

I rechambered a Weatherby ultralight from 280 to it and scoped its 3042 grams (6.7 lbs). Super nice to carry and you can reach out long distance with it.

Hi everyone. I followed this forum since many years and i already posted a similar thread somewhere else but i finally managed to login here so i want to know your take on this guys!

so, until now i had a very prolific career hunting with a .308 here in Italy. That rifle, a bergara b14 with a 2-10x50i khales scope with a standard german IV type reticle, is intended to be used inside 250 yards and i built it in order to be as simple as possible, no need to worry about anything at that distances: from 200 yards below just point, shoot and the animal dies. I am currently using 170 gr geco teilmantel ammo (softpoint basically), which my gun shoots extremely well (0.3-0.4 MOA all day in range conditions). Now i want to try to reach a couple hundred meters further so i am looking at a tikka t3x lite in 300 WSM (but i am open to other calibers suggestions). I am still a bit undecided between a 300 wsm and a 7 rem mag but the possibility to have a shorter action and barrel, better barrel life and the fact that i like 30 cals make me lean towards the 300 wsm, despite the heavier recoil (luckily it seems that i just don't develope a flinch when i shoot, maybe until now ahah). And i would use a muzzlebrake anyway. So i wanna know what you think of this setup before starting buying stuff. Consider that i will hunt mainly roe deer (50 lbs), fellow deer (up to 240 lbs), wild boars (up to 380-400 lbs) and hunts outside my country are possible in the future (but this is not central in my choice now). Ranges would be from 10 to 500 meters (550 yards more or less), on average probably around 300 yards. I don't like the idea to shoot further because of the many variables that come into play and are more difficult to face at distances past 550 yards but i could change my mind in the future depending on the outcome of my future long shots. I do both stalking and still hunting, depending on the circumstances (50-50 i'd say). So:

-rifle: tikka t3x lite 300 wsm with 4-16 s&b scope (FFP, MIL reticle, uncapped turret for elevation, capped for windage and parallax adjustments) in a PSE composite e-lite stock with a bipod (still have to decide which one), sling and a muzzlebrake. Overall weight will be around 9.5-10 lbs.. a bit on the heavy side but i am young and in good phisical shape and a bit of weight will help with the actual shooting.
-ammo: no idea, i thought about 165 or 180 grains accubonds but i want your suggestions

My main questions are:

what about the caliber choice? I know i don't strictly need a magnum for this ranges and games but I think more power downrange is handy giving a little more more margin of error in regard to shot placement for long shots. There are calibers that have even better ballistic for sure but I think the 300 wsm has good ballistic anyway and I heard it's very accurate, pretty available here in my country, and packs a punch. Additionally it seems like this caliber is gonna stay pretty popular for many years to come and i love the longer barrel life in comparison to other faster calibers (in italy rebarreling is not easy for legal and practical reasons).

What do you think of this setup? What would you change?

What about the bullet? How would a 180 gr accubond perform on a small roe deer (50 lbs) at 50 meters and 400 meters? And what about a big 400 lbs wild boar at the same distances?

What about the scope?

What about the muzzlebrake? I have always shot without ear protections while hunting but whit that artillery piece i would do it. Any downside other than that and other than increasing weight and bulk of the rifle?

a couple pics for entartainment!
u have a 300 wsm. Winchester model 70, benchmark barrel, Oregon gunsmith stock. 4.5 -14 x44 zeiss scope that shoots .5 moa or better, that has been my favorite go to rifle for over 30 years. things in front of it, just die. it's been to Africa 26 trips as well as hunts western US and Canada. I've lost count of how many big game taken. it's only been shot with handloaded 168 gr tsx or ttsx mono copper bullets at 3260. you can't go wrong with the 300 wsm. many of my game taken at 300, 400 yds. the longest was 624 yds. smallest Grey duiker largest 1800 lb eland.

u have a 300 wsm. Winchester model 70, benchmark barrel, Oregon gunsmith stock. 4.5 -14 x44 zeiss scope that shoots .5 moa or better, that has been my favorite go to rifle for over 30 years. things in front of it, just die. it's been to Africa 26 trips as well as hunts western US and Canada. I've lost count of how many big game taken. it's only been shot with handloaded 168 gr tsx or ttsx mono copper bullets at 3260. you can't go wrong with the 300 wsm. many of my game taken at 300, 400 yds. the longest was 624 yds. smallest Grey duiker largest 1800 lb eland.
I meant, I have

You can't go wrong with the 300wsm, one of the most inherently accurate rounds there is imo. Mine likes the 175 berger vld and the 178 eld-x , most of the wsm's also seem to like the ttsx barns as well. Not sure if you can have ammo shipped there, but Choice Ammunition has some excellent choices in handloaded ammo. Shame you aren't in the states as I'm probably going to sell my 300wsm soon, built on a model 70 action with a bartlein barrel and game warden stock. It has shot 1 3/4 " groups at 500.
pm me if you sell, or call. 425 422 0104, allan

Or... let's go back to basics... the good old 300 Winchester Magnum. Still is the best as the ultimate all around gun in my opinion. I like the 300 WSM because you can make a slightly shorter and lighter gun more easily. But you can also get custom lightweight easily too. Brass and ammo is available around the world. And the 300 WM has surpassed the 7mm RM as the #1 magnum cartridge.

brass is hard to find. but it is a fantastic choice also.factory ammo is easier to find than brass. nuff said
sorry I meant 7 wsm. but 270 wsm is great also. I have all three. 7 wsm is a combo match hunting rig, pierce action, proof Carbon fiber wrapped barrel, manners stock. 6.5 -20 mk lv Leopold. I use it put to about 1300 yds in matches. I shoot 168 burgers. also have used it hunting and cleanly taken big game to 750 yds. because the industry has abandoned this rd for some reason, I bought 1k rds brass last time I found it.

sorry I meant 7 wsm. but 270 wsm is great also. I have all three. 7 wsm is a combo match hunting rig, pierce action, proof Carbon fiber wrapped barrel, manners stock. 6.5 -20 mk lv Leopold. I use it put to about 1300 yds in matches. I shoot 168 burgers. also have used it hunting and cleanly taken big game to 750 yds. because the industry has abandoned this rd for some reason, I bought 1k rds brass last time I found it.
Come on tooth....???? No 325 WSM????

Awesome cartridge. With reloads it hits harder out to 100 yards then a 338 Win Mag

But on paper the 7mm WSM should in theory be the ultimate winner. I have 2 of them lol

Come on tooth....???? No 325 WSM????

Awesome cartridge. With reloads it hits harder out to 100 yards then a 338 Win Mag

But on paper the 7mm WSM should in theory be the ultimate winner. I have 2 of them lol
not yet! My thoughts exactly on the 7
.have 2 also. think I'll sell my 270 wsm Kimberly and replace with a 7 wsm Kimberly, if I can find one, or have benchmark rebarrel mine. was expecting the 325 backlash, lol
!