300 wsm build for european games, selective hunting in Italy

Just noted the other guys comment on the 270 WSM. All of the WSMs are great cartridges. I have them all and really enjoy them. As a side note... as much as I love my 300 WSM, when I look at the 7mm WSM it THEORETICALLY should be the better cartridge. BUT... the 7 and 325 WSM have become almost reloader only cartridges. Yes you can still buy, but your going into a store and MAYBE... big maybe that they have any in stock. I just picked up a Browning mountain ti in 7 WSM from a friend because he doesn't reload and can't buy ammo (I have the same gun already in 325 - we bought them at the same time). The 270 WSM is still pretty available but the 300 WSM is still by far the king for availability.

My 270 WSM is Browning White Gold BLR (lever action) and with a ballistic matched scope, rocks at 450 yards are no problem. Only shot a couple of mule deer at 100 and 200 yards with it otherwise.

If your looking at the one gun does it all... you just can't go wrong with the 300 WSM.

Hmmmmm.... based on my own argument... me thinks I need a second 300 WSM but in a Tikka???? 🤔🤔🤔🤔
Ahahah ops, sorry for your wallet man! Yes i would have picked a 7 SAUM no doubt, also a 270 WSM but they are disappearing. They are even more balanced roumds for european games but I think also the 300 wsm, even tough a but more brutal, is more than usable. And it delivers big *** 30 cal bullets

I think a 300 WSM will do everything you ask of it. Personally, I have used and love the performance of the 165 grain Accubond. Given the variety of different game you plan to hunt, I think a bonded bullet like the Accubond makes the most sense. However, many mono metal bullets would also work well but I have no experience using them on game and would defer to those that have such experience.
Most suggestions have been eld-x, hammers, accubonds, ttsx and sst

Almost all the possible different bullets on the market ahah

Stay away from the 7 SAUM unless you are a reloader. If you think the 7 WSM or 270 WSM are disappearing... unfortunately the 7 SAUM is disappearing even faster. I thought that my 6.5 Rem Mag was difficult to find ammo for but the SAUM is right up on par with it. I still might be buying one but the guy has 200 new brass and dies coming with it.

Stay away from the 7 SAUM unless you are a reloader. If you think the 7 WSM or 270 WSM are disappearing... unfortunately the 7 SAUM is disappearing even faster. I thought that my 6.5 Rem Mag was difficult to find ammo for but the SAUM is right up on par with it. I still might be buying one but the guy has 200 new brass and dies coming with it.
So you can't even find brass in the US? that's crazy

Well I'm in Canada and it's not so easy. It's do able, but life would sure be a lot easier (rifle, ammo, etc wise) if a guy was in the states.

300 WSM brass can be found in the US … need to look hard …. But it's around occasionally. NORMA 300 WSM brass is great quality (my pick).

Don't forget …. If you can get your hands on 270 WSM brass …. It shares the same parent case….. all you need to do is size it up with a .30 cal expander …. Very easy. All the specs are the same … same parent case. One more option for you if you are needing to find brass for the 300 WSM.

Well I'm in Canada and it's not so easy. It's do able, but life would sure be a lot easier (rifle, ammo, etc wise) if a guy was in the states.
I see, i was going to come to Canada on holiday before covid.. there are hunting hoidays available?
300 WSM brass can be found in the US … need to look hard …. But it's around occasionally. NORMA 300 WSM brass is great quality (my pick).

Don't forget …. If you can get your hands on 270 WSM brass …. It shares the same parent case….. all you need to do is size it up with a .30 cal expander …. Very easy. All the specs are the same … same parent case. One more option for you if you are needing to find brass for the 300 WSM.
Cool! Thanks for the advise man. I only reloaded pistol cartridges for competitions, in bulk. I am totally new to precision handloading

I have found 300 WSM brass pretty easily. BUT... it all depends who you talk to. I have about 250-300 of new brass for each of WSM that i have. Just right places right time. But in general you will find 300 WSM brass before the other WSM brass. But don't forget... there's always the case of walking into a store behind me (and others like me) and it's oh... 2 bags of .... brass. Well I don't need it but I better buy it anyways and the guy behind is like dang... no brass again. Lol

Hunting holidays galore. Our good old Canadian government is looking at catering to anyone who wants to come in and hunt/fish. Unfortunately, we are moving towards a pay to hunt society here or you better own your own land.

We have (in Saskatchewan)... for big game your choice of deer, elk, moose, bear, coyotes, wolves, not sure about guided antelope at the moment.

For bird hunting... pheasant (although northern states are better), grouse, ducks and geese.

If you do come here... our biggest chuckle from guides I know is that they tell the guys DONT SHOOT SMALL ONES (deer hunting). Here's a trail cam picture. Wait for these guys but guys get so excited over the size of the bodies of the deer that they wind up shooting 3 year olds instead of 7-8 year olds.

Bring your 300WSM and shoot them all except the birds lol.

Is the increased weight and slower MV compensated by higher BC inside 600 yards?

I can tell ya this...for 7 years in a row the NRA Fclass Mid-Range (600yrds) National Championship was won with a 300WSM shooting 215's......Performance on big game has been well documented here.

Hunting holidays galore. Our good old Canadian government is looking at catering to anyone who wants to come in and hunt/fish. Unfortunately, we are moving towards a pay to hunt society here or you better own your own land.

We have (in Saskatchewan)... for big game your choice of deer, elk, moose, bear, coyotes, wolves, not sure about guided antelope at the moment.

For bird hunting... pheasant (although northern states are better), grouse, ducks and geese.

If you do come here... our biggest chuckle from guides I know is that they tell the guys DONT SHOOT SMALL ONES (deer hunting). Here's a trail cam picture. Wait for these guys but guys get so excited over the size of the bodies of the deer that they wind up shooting 3 year olds instead of 7-8 year olds.

Bring your 300WSM and shoot them all except the birds lol.
I am undecided between alaska and saskatchewan as my first hunting holiday ever! What do you think?

I can tell ya this...for 7 years in a row the NRA Fclass Mid-Range (600yrds) National Championship was won with a 300WSM shooting 215's......Performance on big game has been well documented here.
Unfortunately it seems like 300 wsm tikka are not available anywhere.. probably I will just buy another 308 and limit my shots to 450 yards or so

I'll respond on the hunting in canafa versus Alaska later as I need to get some work done at the office today lol. But I just looked and Tikka is carrying the 300WSM in all its models according to their website. As an alternate check the Sako although they are more expensive. I have 3 sakos but my latest is a model 85 finnlight that I rechambered from 7 RM to 28 Nosler. I set it up for long range elk (600 plus yards) but it's only shot a mule deer at 25 yards lol. Once it shots an animal it becomes a safe queen lol. I keep buying and buying lol.

Why not look into a 6.5x55? Excellent accuracy, recoil, balistics and game stopping power from small whitetails to moose. Also not to mention it's a popular cartridge in Europe from what I hear. I also have head a lot of guys using the tx3 I believe and having excellent accuracy with a variety of ammo. This is my sporter Carl Gustav and a mulley I shot at 200 yards with 140 grain Berger's, didn't take a step.

Attachments

• 0C6FE69C-83CE-46C4-B192-7B11DF0599A8.jpeg
    0C6FE69C-83CE-46C4-B192-7B11DF0599A8.jpeg
    456.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: