300 wsm build for european games, selective hunting in Italy

I own the Tikka 300WSW. I shoot 180 grain accubonds thru this barrel and love my rifle as my go to for elk and deer season. I have taking game out as far out as 392 yards with a Meopta 3-12x56 Mchoter Reticle on top. I don't have a break on this rifle so if there would be one recommendation, that would be the one to keep in mind.

Hi everyone. I followed this forum since many years and i already posted a similar thread somewhere else but i finally managed to login here so i want to know your take on this guys!

so, until now i had a very prolific career hunting with a .308 here in Italy. That rifle, a bergara b14 with a 2-10x50i khales scope with a standard german IV type reticle, is intended to be used inside 250 yards and i built it in order to be as simple as possible, no need to worry about anything at that distances: from 200 yards below just point, shoot and the animal dies. I am currently using 170 gr geco teilmantel ammo (softpoint basically), which my gun shoots extremely well (0.3-0.4 MOA all day in range conditions). Now i want to try to reach a couple hundred meters further so i am looking at a tikka t3x lite in 300 WSM (but i am open to other calibers suggestions). I am still a bit undecided between a 300 wsm and a 7 rem mag but the possibility to have a shorter action and barrel, better barrel life and the fact that i like 30 cals make me lean towards the 300 wsm, despite the heavier recoil (luckily it seems that i just don't develope a flinch when i shoot, maybe until now ahah). And i would use a muzzlebrake anyway. So i wanna know what you think of this setup before starting buying stuff. Consider that i will hunt mainly roe deer (50 lbs), fellow deer (up to 240 lbs), wild boars (up to 380-400 lbs) and hunts outside my country are possible in the future (but this is not central in my choice now). Ranges would be from 10 to 500 meters (550 yards more or less), on average probably around 300 yards. I don't like the idea to shoot further because of the many variables that come into play and are more difficult to face at distances past 550 yards but i could change my mind in the future depending on the outcome of my future long shots. I do both stalking and still hunting, depending on the circumstances (50-50 i'd say). So:

-rifle: tikka t3x lite 300 wsm with 4-16 s&b scope (FFP, MIL reticle, uncapped turret for elevation, capped for windage and parallax adjustments) in a PSE composite e-lite stock with a bipod (still have to decide which one), sling and a muzzlebrake. Overall weight will be around 9.5-10 lbs.. a bit on the heavy side but i am young and in good phisical shape and a bit of weight will help with the actual shooting.
-ammo: no idea, i thought about 165 or 180 grains accubonds but i want your suggestions

My main questions are:

what about the caliber choice? I know i don't strictly need a magnum for this ranges and games but I think more power downrange is handy giving a little more more margin of error in regard to shot placement for long shots. There are calibers that have even better ballistic for sure but I think the 300 wsm has good ballistic anyway and I heard it's very accurate, pretty available here in my country, and packs a punch. Additionally it seems like this caliber is gonna stay pretty popular for many years to come and i love the longer barrel life in comparison to other faster calibers (in italy rebarreling is not easy for legal and practical reasons).

What do you think of this setup? What would you change?

What about the bullet? How would a 180 gr accubond perform on a small roe deer (50 lbs) at 50 meters and 400 meters? And what about a big 400 lbs wild boar at the same distances?

What about the scope?

What about the muzzlebrake? I have always shot without ear protections while hunting but whit that artillery piece i would do it. Any downside other than that and other than increasing weight and bulk of the rifle?

a couple pics for entartainment!
I think your choice is perfect for your application.300 WSM is a good choice with the 180 Accubond. I've always thought Tikka makes good quality products. The scope sound ideal as well. I think you've done your research well

I've been a fan of the 300WSM since it first hit the market. Along with being a great hunting cartridge it's also my go to competition cartridge. The nodes tend to be wide and very forgiven. Some call it a magnum Dasher. IMO the Berger 215 is the perfect bullet for the 300WSM.

Simon,

Great choice here for your setup and I think you are generally headed in the right direction.

I have too many calibers and rifles to count …. But the 300 WSM is my go-to choice for hard hitting, long shooting and good ballistics/wind bucking capabilities. It is one of the easiest calibers to 'tune' if you are planning to do reloading for it ….. and is basically just an inherently VERY accurate caliber choice.

I hunt frequently and also shoot competitively to 1,000 yards …. and if I am shooting at 1,000 yards I am reaching for my 300 WSM …. Not a 7mm.

To address your questions/points:
1) caliber choice: 300 WSM is excellent …. You will not regret it. It does have more recoil, but with a few trips to the range as you get accustomed to your rifle you will get used to it. Your muzzle brake will help with that a lot. Just watch you eye placement on your very first shot (wink)…. Lots more recoil than a .308 WIN or 7mm type round.
The 300 WSM is inherently accurate.

2) gun choice: I own a TIKKA hunting rig … not in your setup, but TIKKA a makes great guns (for the money … and if you are sticking to factory rifles) and this will be a highly capable hunting rifle. I believe that specific rifle has a 1:11 twist in the factory barrel ….. which is capable …. But I'd rather it be a little faster twist. I run heavy bullets (208-215 grain) and faster twist barrels (1:9) on my competition 300 WSMs

If you are staying with a factory rifle … you have a solid choice picked out. Custom is a whole other animal …. And will be far more expensive.

3) bullet selection:
I am an advocate of trying several bullets and different ammo setup in a new gun … and then 'let the gun tell you what it likes'. having said that … I suspect you will end up wanting to use something in the 180 grain range. (like a federal 180gr Power-Shok) or something similar for your hunting ammo (not sure what is available in Italy). Try the lighter bullets you mentioned if you'd like …. But I'd be expecting that the 180's + to be giving you more accuracy. The heavy bullets will also be a bit of a better selection for the larger game (boars) as well.

4) Muzzle brake
Like mentioned earlier ….. no issue with that on a hunting setup. You will see a fair amount of muzzle back-wash though. It will bring the 300 WSM recoil back to manageable for this 'lighter setup'.

5) General setup.
I liked everything you mentioned. You might want to think about other scope magnification options.

S&B sure makes very good glass and optics. So if you like that 4-16 scope it is a perfectly acceptable option from one of the best optics makers. For this application you may want to consider the benefits of a slightly more powerful upper end on magnification….. especially if you want to go longer on range … or if you just like the extra magnification (I do!) If you will be shooting out 400/500 to 600 yards …. Getting a scope with 25X or more on the upper range may be a real benefit (depending on your eyes!!).

As an example … Steiner makes a very good 5-25X (the T5Xi) which I have on several of my rifles. Good scope …. FFP, MIL tough, and good glass. there are many other options …. But if I were outfitting this … I'd probably consider higher magnification.

Sounds like a fun path you are on. Let us know your final selection and how it performs for you.

Gotta love the 300 WSM!

For years, my go to rifle was a 300WSM. With it, I shot pretty much every big game animal in North America (excluding moose and grizzly bears). I agree that the cartridge you have chosen is a good choice. I have never owned a Tikka but I know lots of people who love them. From what I have read they have a very solid reputation. My nephew owns one in a 300WSM and it's a shooter for him. I have shot 168g Barnes ttsx's out of mine for everything. I am a reloader so I have recently been playing with the 160g Hammer Hunters, but I'm still in the process of developing a load with that bullet. I'd vote you go for it. Best of luck

I love the Tikka rifle/action. I currently have a switchbarrel Tikka action with both 6.5 PRC and 300WSM carbon barrels. But I would just like to point out that Tikka's only come in a long action, so there would be no weight saving choosing a 300 WSM over a 7mm Rem Mag as suggested in your original post.

I own a Sako 75 in 300 WSM. It's my elk rifle and very accurate, as well as, a very light and nimble rifle that I don't notice when I chasing elk up and down mountain sides. I shot the 180 gr Accubond for years and it was great, performance wise,on everything from deer to elk. I switched over to the 200gr ELDX when they first came out. Was unsure if it would stabalize in my 1:11 twist, but it works just fine. It's a beast of a bullet on elk.
I don't think you can go wrong with the WSM. I love mine. Just FYI, I have a Swarovski Z5 5-25 scope on it and love the combo

I am not one of those guys that wants everyone to like what I bought, but I have to say, I bought a new Savage Impulse (wait don't stop reading). I bought.it in 300 WSM, and it is the first American straight-pull rifle. I have lots of different rifles in many different calibers, but I think the 300 WSM is goingnto be a favorite. Very versatile. As far as the rifle goes, it has proven to be very accurate, and is very innovative, which is what brought.me to it. Something to consider. I put a relatively inexpensive scope on it, which is feature packed. It's a Burris Signature HD 3-15x44. It's got an illuminated reticle, and side parallax adjustment and long eye relief. I really like the scope so far, but the us has been limited to only the range so far, so I can't give it a full review. Good luck, and reach out via PM with any further questions.
I like that scope also. Have one on a 22-250. That tiny lit cross in the center is great.

The r8 goes for much more than that! Btw I never said barrel life depends on barrel lenght! I fire at least a couple hundred ammo per year (i practice with my guns, i check zero when needed and luckily i can hunt a lot (having a very committing job and being single this means i don't sleep much ahah). For example in theast two months:
-12 shots for 12 roes
-2 practicing sessions at the range: more or less 40 shots
-2 zero checking because i bumped the scope in the woods: 10 shots

It's mlre than 60 shots in two months. I hunt quite a bit man!

If you consider the first 1-200 shots to develope a load and try the new rifle and getting used to it, with a 1200 rounds barrel lifethis rifle is gonna last between 5 and 10 years. I don't like the idea. Considering i have two rifles let's say 10 years. I want this to last much more, i don't like using a rifle knowing it's disposable! Here in Italy rebarreling is nkt as easy as in the us, not at all..
i hunt in Austria/ Salzburg . mainly roe and chamois . and yes a muzzlebrake can help reduce recoil much aswell as silencer does. but those make an long barrelt even longer then a muzzlebrake . well i not think a barrel lenght reduces barrel life so much - the important part is the pressure . An hot load effects barrel life more i think . And also i think a barrel life might be at around 1200 shots till you can recognice . and how many cartridges you fire at your hunting year ? i like to have slightly thicker barrels . my remington 700 long range barrel is around 22 mm . i added an MTD stock and an 5 shot magazin . on top a Nightforce NXS moar 5-25 x56 with illuminated reticles . with my load it produces groups where all fired bullets touch each other at 100 m . costs for rifle and the additional stock was close 1700 for rifle and 700 for stock + 2300 for scope . thats still under what an plain Blaser would cost . as far i know price is around 4600 euros for Blaser R8 . and i m really satisfied with my Remington . i not want to blame Blaser they are shooting well and you have the option to exchange barrels and try new calibers . i own one myself in 6.5 PRC . but prices are really crazy

I own a Sako 75 in 300 WSM. It's my elk rifle and very accurate, as well as, a very light and nimble rifle that I don't notice when I chasing elk up and down mountain sides. I shot the 180 gr Accubond for years and it was great, performance wise,on everything from deer to elk. I switched over to the 200gr ELDX when they first came out. Was unsure if it would stabalize in my 1:11 twist, but it works just fine. It's a beast of a bullet on elk.
I don't think you can go wrong with the WSM. I love mine. Just FYI, I have a Swarovski Z5 5-25 scope on it and love the combo
Cool, thanks for the additional infos man! Have a good hunt ;)

I own the Tikka 300WSW. I shoot 180 grain accubonds thru this barrel and love my rifle as my go to for elk and deer season. I have taking game out as far out as 392 yards with a Meopta 3-12x56 Mchoter Reticle on top. I don't have a break on this rifle so if there would be one recommendation, that would be the one to keep in mind.
Meoptas are very good, especially for the price.

I think your choice is perfect for your application.300 WSM is a good choice with the 180 Accubond. I've always thought Tikka makes good quality products. The scope sound ideal as well. I think you've done your research well
Thanks man, i hope so cause it will be an expensive and time consuming project. I wouldn't want to be a roe or a boar when that thing will be around tough!

I've been a fan of the 300WSM since it first hit the market. Along with being a great hunting cartridge it's also my go to competition cartridge. The nodes tend to be wide and very forgiven. Some call it a magnum Dasher. IMO the Berger 215 is the perfect bullet for the 300WSM.
Is the increased weight and slower MV compensated by higher BC inside 600 yards?

Recent Posts