300 wsm build for european games, selective hunting in Italy

hello Simone
i m also european and hunt same size animals then you and i own 308 .30 06 ,300 WSM and also 300 WM and a 338 Lapua . and i also like like you the idea to have bit additional power in case i not get an perfect shot done . i think with an 300 WSM your fine for nearly all european game except you get an really big red deer on distances around 500 meter . i get it done to load a 300 WSM at around 900 m/sek and my 300 Win Mag is run same 168 grain Barnes Tsx bullet up to 1024m/seks , i also have a tikka and i like it - nothing wrong with it .
my idea about hunting rifle here is an rifle with detachable magazin and a 65 cm barrel if you go longer ranges . as scope i would suggest
Nightforce Nxs 5-25x56 or something like this . reticles illuminated .
my idea about hunting at longer ranges is short barrel and low weight isnt important in this case . if you have places so long distances you will have the time to place your rifle adjust your scope and all this things . short barrel just reduce speed and also energy . the worst thing you can say its a bit harder to carry your rifle to the place where you hunt at . and you can help yourself with a backpack like eberlestock gunrunner or
something close like this .
i own one of the bigger eberlestock backpacks but its not needed for 1or 2 days hunting trip .this are my ideas about hunt in europe .

I don't have a budget limit for this build within common sense, so you are free to suggest me! I heard heavier projectiles could cause overpressure in 300 wsm due to the short case, what about you using the 215 bergers?
I have been shooting the 215 Berger out of my .300 WSM without any issues. Sure I would love to have a longer COAL but my mag limits it and I do not want to single feed. It's how hot the NUT behind the trigger load it is what creates the pressure, not because it is a heavier bullet. 2850 FPS for a 215 Berger is not too shabby. If I need anything faster, I can load my .300 WM or .30 LARA.

Even without a set budget, it is hard to make any recommendations because I do not know what is locally available for you or if there's any import restrictions.

I also Own Tikka T3 Lite in a 300WSM. I have had very good luck with Hornady Precision Hunters ELDX 200 grain (which I feel Hornady is going to stop making to Promote their 300 PRC), and Norma 180 Grain Bond Strikes. Both are sub MOA for me. I customizes my rifle also. I am running a KRG Bravo Chassis, Sig Sauer Whiskey 5. I shoot 100-800 yards no problem. Again very accurate. I use an Ultradyne Apollo S Compensator Muzzle Brake and I can tell you what a difference. As for the performance of a 300WSM Whitetail in Northern MN dont have a chance and Mule deer either. A well placed shot and they don't move. Both of my Mule deer I have harvested have been past 400 yard 1 shot and no follow ups and no tracking. I have had mine for 18 years and will not change calibers. You will not regret the caliber. Accubonds are hard to find along with all good 300WSM ammo. I also have a 308 and would not want to part with that one also. I have owned these two caliber rifles my entire life and very proficient with both. (Why Change). Know what they like and don't like.

Last edited:
I own a Tikka T3 in 300WSM and I love it. It has been very accurate and effective on white-tailed deer and elk. I use 180gr Accubonds and get excellent accuracy with them. I do not think you will regret your choice.
Thanks man, with either setup i will end up with, i'll update you. But i think it will be a 300
Wsm. I see it as a even more versatile (for ranges many modern hunters hunt at) than the 3006, so I love the idea.

You can't go wrong with the 300wsm, one of the most inherently accurate rounds there is imo. Mine likes the 175 berger vld and the 178 eld-x , most of the wsm's also seem to like the ttsx barns as well. Not sure if you can have ammo shipped there, but Choice Ammunition has some excellent choices in handloaded ammo. Shame you aren't in the states as I'm probably going to sell my 300wsm soon, built on a model 70 action with a bartlein barrel and game warden stock. It has shot 1 3/4 " groups at 500.

hello Simone
i m also european and hunt same size animals then you and i own 308 .30 06 ,300 WSM and also 300 WM and a 338 Lapua . and i also like like you the idea to have bit additional power in case i not get an perfect shot done . i think with an 300 WSM your fine for nearly all european game except you get an really big red deer on distances around 500 meter . i get it done to load a 300 WSM at around 900 m/sek and my 300 Win Mag is run same 168 grain Barnes Tsx bullet up to 1024m/seks , i also have a tikka and i like it - nothing wrong with it .
my idea about hunting rifle here is an rifle with detachable magazin and a 65 cm barrel if you go longer ranges . as scope i would suggest
Nightforce Nxs 5-25x56 or something like this . reticles illuminated .
my idea about hunting at longer ranges is short barrel and low weight isnt important in this case . if you have places so long distances you will have the time to place your rifle adjust your scope and all this things . short barrel just reduce speed and also energy . the worst thing you can say its a bit harder to carry your rifle to the place where you hunt at . and you can help yourself with a backpack like eberlestock gunrunner or
something close like this .
i own one of the bigger eberlestock backpacks but its not needed for 1or 2 days hunting trip .this are my ideas about hunt in europe .
Thanks mate. Where do you hunt? I am young and in good shape, no problem to carry a 65 cm barreled rifle. But i often have to move in thick brush or sneaking while prone so i like the idea of something more compact, especially considering i will use a muzzlebrake which increase the overall lenght of quite a bit. That said, you are probably right but i read that a 24 vs 26 inches barrel gives you just a few m/s more in this chambering! And what about the future that especially lighter barrels, if shorter, are more accurate due to less impact of barrel harmonic on bullet path?

Ok I see, thanks. As far as scopes, no import restrictions, i can get every scope in production in the globe! I am leajing towards schmidt und bender but I am totally open to other suggestions. For example on my 308 i have a khales which i absolutely love. Light and very good glass and light transmission. More than one time I have been able to shoot animals i could barely see naked eye because it was basically night. Through the scope i could distinguish the shoulder and even the face traits to estimate the age class for selection
I have been shooting the 215 Berger out of my .300 WSM without any issues. Sure I would love to have a longer COAL but my mag limits it and I do not want to single feed. It's how hot the NUT behind the trigger load it is what creates the pressure, not because it is a heavier bullet. 2850 FPS for a 215 Berger is not too shabby. If I need anything faster, I can load my .300 WM or .30 LARA.

Even without a set budget, it is hard to make any recommendations because I do not know what is locally available for you or if there's any import restrictio

I am a 300WSM user and advocate. You can easily take any of the animals mentioned at any of those distances. Put a brake on it and you won't feel the recoil.

180 grain projectiles are my favorite with the Berger elites ticking my fancy. Second would be the 166 grain Hammer Hunters.

Now, Tikka would not be my choice, but I have had a bad experience with them and their parent company. If it has to be a factory rifle, then I would opt for a Savage, Seekins or some othe brand. Keep in mind, it is hard to beat a good custom, but with that comes more cost.

As for as the optics, use what you feel looks good to your eye and budget. I am a fan of Zeiss and NF for a good solid hunting rifle.

Anyway, good luck with your journey and let us know how it goes. Good luck.
Just get a Blaser R93 with interchangeable barrels-- for all European and African game

I also Own Tikka T3 Lite in a 300WSM. I have had very good luck with Hornady Precision Hunters ELDX 200 grain (which I feel Hornady is going to stop making to Promote their 300 PRC), and Norma 180 Grain Bond Strikes. Both are sub MOA for me. I customizes my rifle also. I am running a KRG Bravo Chassis, Sig Sauer Whiskey 5. I shoot 100-800 yards no problem. Again very accurate. I use an Ultradyne Apollo S Compensator Muzzle Brake and I can tell you what a difference. As for the performance of a 300WSM Whitetail in Northern MN dont have a chance and Mule deer either. A well placed shot and they don't move. Both of my Mule deer I have harvested have been past 400 yard 1 shot and no follow ups and no tracking. I have had mine for 18 years and will not change calibers. You will not regret the caliber. Accubonds are hard to find along with all good 300WSM ammo. I also have a 308 and would not want to part with that one also. I have owned these two caliber rifles my entire life and very proficient with both. (Why Change). Know what they like and don't like.
It seems like we have similar tastes as far as hunting guns ahah! I have heard eldx have not very good performance on bigger games at close range, what do you think?

Ok I see, thanks. As far as scopes, no import restrictions, i can get every scope in production in the globe! I am leajing towards schmidt und bender but I am totally open to other suggestions. For example on my 308 i have a khales which i absolutely love. Light and very good glass and light transmission. More than one time I have been able to shoot animals i could barely see naked eye because it was basically night. Through the scope i could distinguish the shoulder and even the face traits to estimate the age class for selection
Those are excellent scope choices and you cannot go wrong with any of them. I do like the EU made scopes. The IOR Valdada is also an excellent option.

You can't go wrong with the 300wsm, one of the most inherently accurate rounds there is imo. Mine likes the 175 berger vld and the 178 eld-x , most of the wsm's also seem to like the ttsx barns as well. Not sure if you can have ammo shipped there, but Choice Ammunition has some excellent choices in handloaded ammo. Shame you aren't in the states as I'm probably going to sell my 300wsm soon, built on a model 70 action with a bartlein barrel and game warden stock. It has shot 1 3/4 " groups at 500.
Why are you selling it?? I can't shop on that website but I will handload for this rig probably

Just get a Blaser R93 with interchangeable barrels-- for all European and African game
Sorry man but i don't particularly like blasers. They are great guns but I don't like the straight pull system and they are too expensive for what they are imho. 8-9 thousand dollars new, 3 k used for something i am gonna take in snkw, mud, rain, blood etc doesn't sound good for me. Plus a good scope and other accessories we are talking about 10 grand! For me a hunting rifle is a tool!

Blaser put high quality leather on some models of R8.. i don't like this kind of "gentleman" view of hunting.. blasers shoot well and are balanced incredibly well, though, i have to admit it

Those are excellent scope choices and you cannot go wrong with any of them. I do like the EU made scopes. The IOR Valdada is also an excellent option.
Yes EU glass is often good even if pretty expensive. I don't know that model, i'll look into it

Thanks mate. Where do you hunt? I am young and in good shape, no problem to carry a 65 cm barreled rifle. But i often have to move in thick brush or sneaking while prone so i like the idea of something more compact, especially considering i will use a muzzlebrake which increase the overall lenght of quite a bit. That said, you are probably right but i read that a 24 vs 26 inches barrel gives you just a few m/s more in this chambering! And what about the future that especially lighter barrels, if shorter, are more accurate due to less impact of barrel harmonic on bullet path?
i hunt in Austria/ Salzburg . mainly roe and chamois . and yes a muzzlebrake can help reduce recoil much aswell as silencer does. but those make an long barrelt even longer then a muzzlebrake . well i not think a barrel lenght reduces barrel life so much - the important part is the pressure . An hot load effects barrel life more i think . And also i think a barrel life might be at around 1200 shots till you can recognice . and how many cartridges you fire at your hunting year ? i like to have slightly thicker barrels . my remington 700 long range barrel is around 22 mm . i added an MTD stock and an 5 shot magazin . on top a Nightforce NXS moar 5-25 x56 with illuminated reticles . with my load it produces groups where all fired bullets touch each other at 100 m . costs for rifle and the additional stock was close 1700 for rifle and 700 for stock + 2300 for scope . thats still under what an plain Blaser would cost . as far i know price is around 4600 euros for Blaser R8 . and i m really satisfied with my Remington . i not want to blame Blaser they are shooting well and you have the option to exchange barrels and try new calibers . i own one myself in 6.5 PRC . but prices are really crazy .