300 wsm barrel length

Ok I'm about to drive myself crazy with this. I'm building a 300wsm for a little more reach over my main hunting rifles. I typically hunt with 18" 308 and 6.5 creedmoor rifles and always suppressed. I originally planned on a 24" barrel for the wsm and have a Proof in hand. Lately I have been going back and forth on whether to go with a 20" barrel instead. I know I'll give up some velocity but I plan on 600 yards being my max and probably no heavier than a 180. Anybody who has been in my shoes please chime in. I would like the ability to shoot anything in the lower 48 to 600.
Edit to add: Sendero or Sendero light?
20 inch will work good

I have a .325 WSM Model 70 26" barrel and wouldn't mind a shorter barrel, but the rifle shoots so dang good with 200gr AccuBond on top of 67gr of H4350. Less that 1/2" MOA. The 26" barrel gives all the 67 grs to burn up. I could'nt imaging putting a supressor on it for hunting. My PRS 260 with a 26" and supressor is sooo looong. Good luck with a shorter barrel. Also why need a suppressor for hunting? Seems like everyone that wants to hunt with a suspressor has to cut their barrel down because of the extra length. It shouldn't bother your ears that much with only shooting ONE shot to harvest an animal. I have a half dozen supressors and quite frankly don't know why I bought all of them. Unless you are shooting sub sonic ammo it is stiil LOUD. Unless you are in the SEALS, MARINES, SF and using special ammo that is designed to work with a supressor - is it worth the extra cost and wieght on you firearm? Also if you shoot a lot of supressed it will wear you barrel out faster.

Ok I'm about to drive myself crazy with this. I'm building a 300wsm for a little more reach over my main hunting rifles. I typically hunt with 18" 308 and 6.5 creedmoor rifles and always suppressed. I originally planned on a 24" barrel for the wsm and have a Proof in hand. Lately I have been going back and forth on whether to go with a 20" barrel instead. I know I'll give up some velocity but I plan on 600 yards being my max and probably no heavier than a 180. Anybody who has been in my shoes please chime in. I would like the ability to shoot anything in the lower 48 to 600.
My 300WSM is a 22" Kreiger 1:12 twist with a break. Light sendero. Shoots 165 ballistic tips very well.

This is on a .300 WM, but it should give you a general idea ...

This is weird....it should have been going 3300 fps, instead of 3150fps. Still, going down to 3000, might as well run a 308 or 30-06. They are normally 22" rifles. My 300WSM is a 26". It Will work at 20".

I have 20" win mag, pushing 180gr balistic tip at 3050 with Rl 22. Hammer of thor on white tail deer. Same load in my old browning 26" barrel was 3200 approximately by drop, didn't have chrony then. So not any thing drastic on velocity lose. Good luck , by the way blast is not bad, im sure it would be with break but target crown no biggie and i do hunt without ear pro.

Shot a cow elk last December in New Mexico at 300 yards with my left hand tikka 300 wsm. Know distance and know your rifle and it isn't that bad. Haksaw

Recent Posts