300 wsm barrel length question

Is there any point in your attempt to bash me by proving the point I was making?

I'm not trying to bash anyone. I just asked what are you calling BS on?

If it's the velocities I posted with my 300 WSM, that's not BS. That's what my Pro Chrono chrony told me and I have good reason to believe that chrony is fairly accurate within a few fps. In fact, about a year later I got another chrony (Alpha Shooting Chrony) to compare the two. Tha Alpha read about 5-60 fps higher than the Pro Chrono on some other strings I fired through both of them.

I'm assuming you don't have any experience with RL17 and the 300 WSM? If you don't, you might want to reserve your judgments until you've actually tried it.

Yes, I meant to compare the .300 WSM to the .30 Win mag, not to a .300 Weatherby.

I am familiar with RE17, its Alliants attempt to duplicate Imr 4350 burn rates, RE powders are blended 80 miles from my house, I choose not to use them in many cartridges because of there ridiculous inconsistency from lot to lot and find that Imr or H 4350 will post about the same velocities with less ES and tighter groups. But everyone has an opinion so I'm not saying your full of s(#t but I doubt you will find another one with that short of a barrel that will duplicate it so you got a good one, take care.

Well here is the second barrel that gives more than decent velocities with RL17.

by the way, that has been confirmed repeatedly over an Oehler 35 with 4 ft spacing on the screens, so more than sure it is accurate.

Maybe there is a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th etc barrel out there. :D My bet there is.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/300-wsm-rl17-ttsx-wow-35230/

BH

Last edited:
We were speaking of heavy weights don't think a 168 barnes is under that classification, my buddy has a 700 sps factory 10 twist 24" and I get an average of 3260 with a 165 NBT and 68.5grns Imr 4350 with an ES of 8 and can go to 70 grains but groups aren't as tight, plus if I run out of powder I can go get some IMR even from another lot and not have to worry about adjusting the load, so RE powders do not impress me in anything but 22-250 and 257wby.

Hey guys i didn't want to start a fight, just looking for good info which everyone has provided. I'm still uncertain which way i am going to go but today i'm leaning toward the 26" , hey if i don't like it i can always cut it down. Have hacksaw ready and willing to do the job. Lol thanks for all the responses i'll let everyone know how it works out. I just got my first chrono so now i can quit guessing. Y'all have a good one.

Well here is the second barrel that gives more than decent velocities with RL17.

by the way, that has been confirmed repeatedly over an Oehler 35 with 4 ft spacing on the screens, so more than sure it is accurate.

Maybe there is a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th etc barrel out there. :D My bet there is.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/300-wsm-rl17-ttsx-wow-35230/

BH

I started using R-17 about same time you did here good article on 24hr
R17 and the 300 WSM - 24hourcampfire

I am familiar with RE17, its Alliants attempt to duplicate Imr 4350 burn rates, RE powders are blended 80 miles from my house, I choose not to use them in many cartridges because of there ridiculous inconsistency from lot to lot and find that Imr or H 4350 will post about the same velocities with less ES and tighter groups. But everyone has an opinion so I'm not saying your full of s(#t but I doubt you will find another one with that short of a barrel that will duplicate it so you got a good one, take care.

Backwoods, I went back and looked at my data and retract the 2990 velocity for the 210 Bergers. It was actually 2935. The 180 E-Tips however were 3193. I shot that load again, (the 180's not the 210's) and came up with similar results, and quite frankly don't know if it was a different lot. Now I can't really tell you how consistent 17 is from lot to lot or temp wise because I haven't really flesshed it out all that well. That being said, I used RL17 in two different lots in my 25-06 (26" barrel) and shot 110 AB's @ 3500 fps and 115 BST's @ 3400 fps. Those are better than 257 Wby mag velocities from a 25-06. and I did check my data on that.

Yeah I wasn't meaning to sound like an ***, right now with the lot of RE22 I have I'm using 3 grains more than recommended with RE25 but when I run out of that lot I will not start with the same charge. Not bad powder, just batch to batch inconsistency and temperature sensitive so be careful.

Go with the 26" barrel it handles great.With a short action,it is a shorter rifle than a long action with a 26",only slightly longer than a long action with a 24".

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.