300 WSM Barrel Length/Bullet combo

I have run the 230otm and the 200.20x at a 2.86" oal, I lost about 30fps from what I could do seated to the lands, which is just a snick over 3" with either bullet. I single feed the 200.20x and do quite well with it, I push it 2826fps with h4831 from a 24" barrel. I can reach 2900 but my accuracy is at 2826.

I am pretty sure you won't be able to seat the boat tail at the case neck/shoulder and fit into 2.95" oal.

Hey guys,
I'm torn on a few decisions. Going to be getting a CA Ridgeline(24") or an ELR(26") here soon in 300 WSM. Reason for the WSM will be decent thump from a SA and easy to tune. I will be shooting suppressed so the 24" is more appealing, but I may throw either in a folding chassis to negate the suppressor hanging off the end too much when being packed.
My question to you all is experience when loading to SA lengths (2.950" in accurate mag) and bullet selection. I'm leaning heavily towards the 200gr eldx for its shorter profile/decent BC combo. Anyone have experience with this bullet combo paired to H3450 and real world velocities? Purpose will be for anything on 4 legs in North America out to 1k and potentially ELR plinking fun. Open to other experiences and recommendations. TIA!

Optimal performance will occur in a LA, but the 200 ELD-X loaded to magazine length with a stiff charge of RL26 will let you know that the 300 WSM is for real.

I run the 200 gr ELDX out of my stock Sako 75. With 62.8 gr of RL17, WLRM & Nosler brass, I get sub 0.5 moa and 2952 fps. MY COAL is 2.855". It's an absolute hammer on elk!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts