300 WSM and 181 Hammers

Ross1147

I've said this before in others threads that I'm a Berger fan. But dang Steve, you make it hard to stay faithful.
First time running Hammers in my 300WSM due to stupid Ca non-lead laws. Went to my local indoor 100 yds range. 80.4 deg, DA 2330", Loaded a ladder from 69.0 -72.0 of RL26. Shot 2 fouling rounds, Bergers of course, then started at 69.0 grns 3076fps. 69.2 grns 3083fps, 69.4 grns 3091 fps. Every bullet same hole. I stopped there, no use wasting money. I'm going home to pull the rest. Reload at 69.2 Grns and call it good. I'm sure I could get them up to 3150-3200 fps but why? 3080 should kill a mulie dead at the distances I'm comfortable shooting.

F2F9B04B-81EE-4EA3-AA5A-F01C874EC5ED.jpeg

Ran it out to 840 yds today. Seemed to track pretty good with hits at 250, 650, and 840 yds. I also got to test how RL26 does when it's 85+ degs. Out of 6 shots average 3096 fps with ES of 16, SD of 8. No excess pressure with this load and primers still rounded. Think I'm ready for deer season!

No, haven't yet. Just started thinking back and I don't think I've ever shot RL26 below maybe 75-80? Going to use the gun on a hunt here at the beginning of Oct. I've seen it as high as the 80s and like last time I hunted there it was in the teens. Should probably do it get get the speed down that low I guess.

Take three and freeze them overnight and put them in a hydro flask with the top on. Should keep them cold enough tell you get to the range.

Take three and freeze them overnight and put them in a hydro flask with the top on. Should keep them cold enough tell you get to the range.
I have done that in my .260 AI, temp was 17° on the cold ones, and 67° on the warm ones (Wyoming summer morning, that was as warm as it got) and my temp variation was .15 fps/degree. Haven't tried them hot yet. One day I'll do a truely accurate test, rifle and ammo out in the cold winter air until all are ambient temp, then put em in the truck and wait until all are ambient temp of around 85, and chrono from that temp. About the only way I can see to 100% rule out all variables.

Looks like those hammers are doing their job. I just finished up lpad developement in a 7 mag with the 143, took 16 rounds, including a max pressure work up/velocity test, and a 560 yard ladder test. Makes it nice.

ross1147: I switched from RL26 to RL16 in the 300WSM and got better velocity, really good SD ES and far less powder than RL26 if you have time to try it with the Hammers. And RL16 seems to be somewhat easier to get than RL26 these days.

What weights bullets were you using to get higher velocity with 16? I am at 69.6 with 200.20x. I could see that happening if you were shooting lighter bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts