300 WM with Berger 210 grain VLD and IMR 4350

Cannon-300

I have a new 300 WM with a 26 inch barrel with 1:9 twist and 0.160 of free bore. I am in need of advice on a load to start with. I will be using 4350 powder and Berger 210 grain VLD bullets. My COAL to touch the lands is around 3.640 in. by my measurements with a Hornady OAL gauge but when I seat a bullet to this COAL and cycle it through the rifle the cartridge comes out around 0.050 shorter at 3.590 in. Therefore I plan to start at a COAL of 3.590 in which may actually be touching the lands. My Berger reloading manual does not give any data for bullets which are seated out farther, therefore I am not sure where to start my powder load. If anyone has experience with this combination and would be willing to share your load data it would be much appreciated. Thanks, Mike

I have a new 300 WM with a 26 inch barrel with 1:9 twist and 0.160 of free bore. I am in need of advice on a load to start with. I will be using 4350 powder and Berger 210 grain VLD bullets. My COAL to touch the lands is around 3.640 in. by my measurements with a Hornady OAL gauge but when I seat a bullet to this COAL and cycle it through the rifle the cartridge comes out around 0.050 shorter at 3.590 in. Therefore I plan to start at a COAL of 3.590 in which may actually be touching the lands. My Berger reloading manual does not give any data for bullets which are seated out farther, therefore I am not sure where to start my powder load. If anyone has experience with this combination and would be willing to share your load data it would be much appreciated. Thanks, Mike

I have to agree with big bulls, you should use a much slower burning powder, especially with such a heavy bullet and one that will fill that case all the way up. I dont feel the 4350's are pushing this case to its full potential. Start with lighter charges and slowly work your way up, watching for pressure signs as you go. I use the burger 210 myself in my 30-378, getting great groups. Have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.