300 WM vs 7mm RUM

jakebrake

I really like the 300 WM and as I am still looking to get a custom rig.I was toying with the idea of the 7 RUM.Wat do you guys think? How about barrel life between the 2 also.

two totally diffrent cartriges. The 7 is going to be crazy fast and flat with hogh b.c bullets and about 900 rounds barrel life.
The 300 win is gonna be about the same recoil, hit a bit harder because of frontal cross section, have alot more drop/drift but... about triple the barrel life.

I've had a 300 win. I have a 7 rum. win ran 180s at about 3120 with a max load in a 24" bbl. Back when I first got the 7, I had a lot of RL25 that would push the 150 partition at 3500 with good case life for an ultra-The primer pockets stayed tight for 5 loads. The next lot was not the same...nor has any other been since. never approached that velocity again safely and accurately with RL 25. I have ran the 140 AB as fast as 3580 with retumbo but wasn't very accurate at 1.4 inches at 100 yds. And even though the pressure seemed ok; I was scared of the charge weight I was dumping into those cases. I settled on 7828 at about 3400 for a good mild accurate load. It also shoots the 160 AB pretty good with retumbo at 3250 fps. I decided to quit screwing around with loads and just settle on one and use it... thus the 140 ab load. I have approx 700 rd thru that 7 so far... still shootin good so far...always have shot 3 and let her cool. run a snake thru her every 3 shots.. clean her every 21.

two totally diffrent cartriges. The 7 is going to be crazy fast and flat with hogh b.c bullets and about 900 rounds barrel life.
The 300 win is gonna be about the same recoil, hit a bit harder because of frontal cross section, have alot more drop/drift but... about triple the barrel life.

It don't get no simpler than that! With the .300 Win Mag, you'll have plenty of choices in brass and bullets (esp. in the 200+ gr) too.

At $300-$400 and up a pop for a blank barrel + smith re-barreling cost could certainly up. The last re-barrel cost for me was $375 for the barrel and $250 smith cost. If you require muzzle brake, it's ~ $100 thread and install (not counting the brake). And since .300 Win Mag is about triple, that's ~$2,250 cost (unless you can do the smithing yourself) over the 7MM RUM you need to consider. But it that's within your budget, then it might not be a factor for you. I have limited funds for hunting/shooting, so it's a factor for this budget conscious member ... just saying.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I would normally say go 300 win but with the 195 eol coming out that woud be a ballistic monster pushing that bullet with its g1 bc of .794 at 3150-3200 fps

if its only going to be hunted with...like 20 rounds/year, the 7 RUM is awsome. but deffinatley a hot rod.

300 win is a king of practicality.

I love my 300; got another 500+ yard trotter this year in the prarie wind. I use a 165 at 3300 fps out of a 26" barrel. I like the 7rum also and have my two longest kills with that cal. 140's at 3500 are monster for point and shoot without el. correction.
I spot and stalk for the most part, so I don't play with some of the LR gadgets that the guys that sit have. I value speed a lot and don't care nearly as much about BC; I want a quicker mid range time of flight and will put up with more arc or having to close in a bit to get the time of flight down.
You do need to be aware that the 7rum will flat out eat barrels. My 300 win has a bunch of rounds on it and it is still virtually new inside; I would have wiped out two 7rum barrels by now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.