300 wm vs 300 prc. sell me on one!

Gatorpoint

Looking for a new 30 cal. Mainly hunting with some target/steel. Prolly going with a chassis. Can handload for either. Looking for a 200-215 grain bullet weight. I know both seem to be able to accomplish what I am wanting to do, just seeing if one or the other stood out. Thanks.

in all reality flip a coin. all indications are that top brass suppliers will be making brass for the PRC so that wont be a issue. the 300PRC being a little shorted might be a help if you have mag restrictions. pick one and enjoy it

There is very little real world data on the PRC. The 30 Nosler is an awesome cartridge and now has three different options for brass. The 300 PRC will actually be slightly LONGER when both are throated with a given bullet seated in the same manner. I have had 3 Noslers and have a PRC that should be here in a week or so. Rich does have another great option which should be given serious consideration.

I kind of have the same dilemma. Except I am trying to decide between 30 Nosler and 300 PRC. I see it like this. More brass options for 30 Nos and slight capacity edge.

300 prc seems to be designed correct from the factory so factory ammo might have the velocity. And if for some reason you have to shoot factory ammo, if the 300 PRC ammo shoot like the factory 6.5 Creed or 6.5 PRC than it will most likely be accurate. Also I can get 5 boxes of factory 300 PRC for less than I could buy 100 pieces of 30 Nos brass.

Not sure on how much the ADG Nos brass will be. Maybe not quite as high as Bertram and Nosler.

Main reason I am considering the PRC is because I think it will have more support in the future. Hornady does a great job marketing. I don't see why it will be any different with the 300 PRC.

And as mentioned you could always build a 300 PRC SI. Still have factory options if necessary and squeak a little more out of it with hand loads.

I'm not a big 300 wm fan

Hornady may be hyping the 300 PRC a little by calling it "The Ultimate 30 Caliber" which was within the title of that video. Who put that in the title? I have no idea.

If you are a fan of beltless cases and like something new to play with, then the 300 PRC will do the trick.

Ballistically, it is not the ultimate 30 cal. It might be 3rd or 4th in line behind the 30-378 Bee, the 300 RUM and maybe the 300 Bee too. We'll see after the ballistic #s come out.

The 30 PRC has actually been shot and tested for at least 9 years that I know of and I have seen it shot in 1K BR matches and win big time. There is a hell of lot of data on it IF you know where and who to talk to. Start with Dave Tooley. IMO it will be the go to round especially with the different brass coming on board. No way I would go back to a belted cartridge now.

The 30 PRC has actually been shot and tested for at least 9 years that I know of and I have seen it shot in 1K BR matches and win big time. There is a hell of lot of data on it IF you know where and who to talk to. Start with Dave Tooley. IMO it will be the go to round especially with the different brass coming on board. No way I would go back to a belted cartridge now.
Yes guys like Dave Tooley have been shooting it for at least 10 years but the data is not readily available it's pretty scarce. If you know where you need to go to find it there is some data but there is still far more data already on the 30 Nauslar and by far more data for a 300 win mag.

I talked to Dave about building a rifle years ago but decided I didn't really want to mess with the 375 Ruger brass.

I've been shooting my improved version since 2011 and can you plenty of data. Just call and ask.

I 've been wondering what are the better options for a short action 30 caliber. 20 to 21 inch barrel standard readily available brass. Fireforming is finefine, around 200 grain bullets.

PRC ? got her beat in every dept with the short action 300 LRC (300 Norma Mag Imp short , brass is in production and will be available to the public in March along with reamers ...

the 300 LRH (300 Norma Mag Improved) and 300 Werewolf (30/500 Jeffery Improved) brass coming in early summer

300 LRC 200.20x Berger.JPG
1a-Wildcats Sierra 230 SMK.jpg

PRC ? got her beat in every dept with the short action 300 LRC (300 Norma Mag Imp short , brass is in production and will be available to the public in March along with reamers ...

the 300 LRH (300 Norma Mag Improved) and 300 Werewolf (30/500 Jeffery Improved) brass coming in early summer

View attachment 123767 View attachment 123768

I do love following your projects but I see no Lapua bolt face in my future unless I am running a big 338 Lapua improved.