300 WM or 7mm STW

coupalr

Well it is my last chance to change my mind on what cartridge to chamber my next long range rig in. I already have a 300 WM but at the rate I shoot it will be worn out by this time next year. So now my mind that was set on getting a 7mm STW is not so sure anymore. I have really grown to like the 300wm and very rarely shoot at things that are less than 500 yards away. What do you guys think?

Hey 6mm,

Why make a choice , get both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif then you can decide .

That being said I have a 300 Winnie and I am presently loading for and shooting a friends 7 STW .

At this point I would choose the 300 over the 7 . Brass quality , bbl life ( I know that you can "detune " that is to say load down the overbores to increase bbl life but hey ! why have it if you can't exploit it's potential ?

If I want a superexplosive varmint round for my winnie I load up some 110 vmax at 3700 fps and wham ! In accurate rigs this bullet will produce groups well under moa at 700 yds and pd's fly high !

Thers a whole lot more to this question of yours but someone elser is going to have to take up the question as I have to cook some ribs on the grill now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jim B.

If you are primarily interested in bullet drop and wind deflection then I'd barrel in 7 STW. If throat life and availability of quality braqss is more important than the ballistic advantage of the 7 STW then I'd take the 300win.

The 300win may also be a better choice because you already all the necessary reloading equiptment and plenty of experience with the cartridge.

Bet you're still undecided. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You shot it in the heart Varmint Hunter. I am still undecided because of all of the reasons you stated. Good brass is available for the 300 WM and I have Redding competion dies for it that work great. But the ballistics of the 7mm STW are very attractive.

There is good brass available for the 7 Dakota, a ballistic twin to the STW.

[ QUOTE ]
There is good brass available for the 7 Dakota, a ballistic twin to the STW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you just muddy the waters a little more!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Choosing a caliber can get very frustrating. It's almost impossible to have your cake and eat it too. Since you've already got the stuff for the 300, I think I'd just go that route. There are no flies on the 300 win shooting a VLD type bullet. I would bet that one could become just as proficient w/it as the 7. It's going to take lots of practice either way!!

I have both and if you want less drop, more fps, less wind, more energy, velocity, and less recoil the 7mm STW is the choice. I use winchester brass and have not had a problem with it. If you do not like that I believe you can get RWS brass for the 7mm STW or neck down and fire form norma 300 weatherby brass. Either one you choose will get the job done you just have to pick one. As for barrel life I got 2000 rounds + through my 7mm STW in a sendero and I am now putting a new barrel on it. I know I still could shoot a 2inch group at 500 with it but it started to copper foul really bad after 20 rounds and I really wanted to put a 5c on it so I sent it to Chris.

Under 500 yds I would stay with the 300WM.
For reasons stated above for longer range I am going with a 7mm Dakota (albeit in a specialty handgun).

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.