.300 WM or 7MM Rem mag

4ked Horn

I have a friend that is getting hooked on long range hunting. He saw a 300 yard shot take my deer (sorry guys, It was my shortest shot on deer in the last 5 years.) and he was there when my bro connected on a 540 yd elk (although the.338 250 gr SGK performed poorly in securing the animal with 4 hits. First of which hit below the spine by an inch and only clipped the lung. A shot from a .270 actually anchored it.)

Now he wants a long range gun.

He will be killing Mule deer and elk (maybe a moose, maybe a bear, but the focus is elk and mulies) He will often have shots from 0-600 yards but he wants to be able to use the gun for 1000 yard elk as he works up to that. Te longer shots on both deer and elk will be more common as as skills and technique develop. He is looking hard at the 7mm mag chambering but I threw a bunch of numbers at him and asked him to consider a .300 win mag. It will be a new factory rifle and I will do all the basic work on it for him i.e. glass bed and free float and bbl break in and load development and trigger work (where applicable). There may be some minor gunsmithing at some point if needed.

My question is- Of the 2 options which would you pick and why? I'm looking for some good "'ol school" advice. I know as well as anybody that shooting in theory is not the same as shootin on fur.

I did search for info already and spent the last hour combing Darryl Cassels posts for the answer I was looking for. I figured just asking again would be a bit more efficient.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
If it is only the odd shot at an elk at 1000 yd then I would go with the 7mm mag, especially with the 0-600 yd shots at deer.
If he is really serious about 1000 yd elk then a 338 RUM would be excellent as a factory gun, otherwise the 300 RUM with 200 accubonds wouldn't be far wrong.

Stu.

Shot placement is crucial and more energy will *never, ever* replace correct shot placement. Otherwise and all things being equal, more power!!!

OK, so right outta the gate, i admit i've never killed an elk - deer yes, elk no. However, i do have a 7mm RM and it's a nice cartridge - shoots flat and hits fairly hard (my longest shot to date on game with it is 520 +/- and it did the trick).

Additionally, deer go *maybe* 300-350lbs - maybe. An elk is, as i understand it, a different critter altogether. Maybe something that is more able to smash through heavy bone such as a .300 Win. is better medicine (bullet choice has ALOT to do with this BTW). To wit, the .308 caliber simply has more projectile choices, though both are easy to load for or find store-bought ammo if thats the plan.

I don't know how much more, if any, barrel life he would get with the .300 Win, but i believe it will be more than with a 7mm Rem (depending loads used of course).

Both cartridges can be very accurate - i wouldn't say one is more so than the other in that - depends on too many things...

Recoil is manageable in both, though the 7mm Rem has less - again, specific rifle has a lot to do with this.

Of the 2 suggested rounds, i'd choose the .300 Win.

Later on for 1,000 yds+ engagements on elk, the .338 caliber seems the way to go - it's what many here choose with great results.

I have been going through this very same decision making process over the last few weeks. I have been running a 7mm RM for a while and am starting to move over into shoots between 600-800 on deer. For me, it came down to more energy down range and that was the 300WM over the 7mm. I decided that if I got to the point of being able to take elk or larger game at these and longer distances, it was time to step up to the 338 cartridges.

If i were purchasing a longrange rifle, i would have a few choices, but for over the counter stuff, .300 RUM wins. I have all the above plus a few and everytime i go hunting where i need a distance of over 500 i always pick up my .300 RUM. Energy and a well placed shot means alot on a 2000lb animal. If you do alot of elk hunting i might even go with a .338-.378. Just my two cents worth....Good luck

I would go with the 300 for a couple reasons. Bigger bullet and they hit harder.

Big bulls are different then cows and spikes, but reguardless, you wanna quick clean kill either way. Big bulls are just a lot bigger and tougher to anchor at times.

My dad is getting the a TC Icon in 300 WM and he'll be using 180g or 200g AB's.

He already has a 7 RM in a Tikka t3 lite, but its a packing rifle.

The RUMS are hard to beat for factory offerings and will do very well out to 1K and a little beyond.

I would look at a 300 WM, 300 RUM, or 338 RUM and have it braked.

I feel the RUMS are a little much inside 600 yards, and are better used beyond 600.

The regular magnums do very good out to 800-900, but your on the edge at 1K.

I've killed elk with 7 RM, 300 WM, 300 RUM, and 338 EDGE and didn't have trouble with any of them. USe a good bullet and put it in there shoulders/lungs and they usually dont go to far.

gun)the 7mm rm is a very good lr caliber. newer bullet selections have made it shine. i might have chosen it for my application for deer to 1k ten years ago. i didnt see the "good" bullets for 7mm. so i chose the 300 wm. i am glad i did. i really like this caliber. there are more powerfull out there---300rum,300wby,30-378 etc. but the 300wm suits my needs. i personally would choose the 300wm.especially if ocassionally shooting 1k at elk. heavier bullets to choose from.i would lean toward the 200 ab for elk. deer i'm using 208 amax and 185 begers.as far as 7mm goes the 180 berger has a very good bc. my .02, jason

I chose the 300 Mag years ago over the 7 Mag. and never looked back. I always thought the 7 Mag in my friends Remington had more recoil than another friends 300 Mag. As a kid looking in my reloading books I thought it did not make sense to own a less powerful cartridge (7 Mag) that had more recoil than a more powerful cartridge like the 300.

A long time ago when there wasn't competition for animals I took elk to 400 yards and deer to six with 100 grain bullets in my 6mm Rem.. Moose with 7-08 and several elk as well. All one shot and none ever went more than 50 yards.

Today I would not go anywhere with anything less than a 300 Mag because everything I have hit with that 300 has been a dramatic ending. SHot placement is paramount and bigger is better.

Currently neither I or my wife hunt with anything less than 338 caliber.

Neal

Yup, no matter the choice, a good break and trigger work are needed also. I agree with all said, over the counter gun, Sendero. If weight is issue and money won't be, i would see about getting a carbon barrel with a very good liner for weight reduction. A sendero with bipod, good scope and sling with push 13-14LB. Try carrying that baby a few miles without breakin a sweat....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.