300 WM new to reloading

Beave945

Hello everyone, been doing a bunch of reading around this site and have come across a ton of helpful information. But now I'm looking to narrow some of it down for my particular rifle. I'm in search of a place to start for working up a load for long range shots. I have been shooting 180 grain core lokt for a few years now with success but have never taken them past 450 yards, now I'm looking for more reliable accuracy and distance. I have a RCBS rock chucker supreme master reloading kit on the way. My thoughts were to start with the 208 grain A-Max due to the high BC, but I've read both good and bad about using the A-Max for hunting. Then H1000 powder with winchester large rifle magnum primers. I've kept all my brass from the core lokt I've been shooting, would this brass be decent to reload with?

As for the gun, I have a 1981 Ruger M77 chambered in 300 WM with a 24" barrel with 1/10 twist.

Any advice and information would be appreciated. Thanks

I would suggest you get a box of 215 Berger Hybrids. H-1000 and some FED GM 215M primers if you can find them. Start at 72 gr in your RP brass and work up .5 gr at a time looking for first sign of pressure. Most factory rifles will max between 74 and 77 gr. For a starting point seat the bullets -.040" off the lands.

Best of luck to ya. This load has shot well in everything we tried it in, and is a hammer on all sizes of game.

Jeff

I would suggest you get a box of 215 Berger Hybrids. H-1000 and some FED GM 215M primers if you can find them. Start at 72 gr in your RP brass and work up .5 gr at a time looking for first sign of pressure. Most factory rifles will max between 74 and 77 gr. For a starting point seat the bullets -.040" off the lands.

Best of luck to ya. This load has shot well in everything we tried it in, and is a hammer on all sizes of game.

Jeff

B, this load is the gospel, used it in a friend's rifle when other loads only shot average at 200 yds. He has a very nice muley mount coming as a result.

Thanks for the quick response! I'll get some ordered and give it a shot. What pressure signs should I be looking for on the brass?

If you see any flattening of your primers, back it off. Also, since your Ruger doesn't have an ejector plunger, look for harder than normal bolt lift. If you get there back it off.

Thanks for the quick response! I'll get some ordered and give it a shot. What pressure signs should I be looking for on the brass?

Im starting with 165 grain slugs and trying to get an ACCURATE load at close to 3000 fps. If and when I do....I'll work up in bullet weight

Recoil is going to go way up with heavy bullets. My rifle is breaked and mercury recoil reducer. it's like a 243. I'm shooting 210's. Berger hunting VLD's. Really good groups with 7828ssc and MagPro at around 2850 fps. 71.4gr for 7828ssc and 78gr with Magpro. However that's from a 26" bbl. Im shooting out to 1500 yds with great success with these loads. (steel gongs)

Recoil is going to go way up with heavy bullets. My rifle is breaked and mercury recoil reducer. it's like a 243. I'm shooting 210's. Berger hunting VLD's. Really good groups with 7828ssc and MagPro at around 2850 fps. 71.4gr for 7828ssc and 78gr with Magpro. However that's from a 26" bbl. Im shooting out to 1500 yds with great success with these loads. (steel gongs)

In a couple weeks I'll be taking my gun to the gunsmith to have a boyds stock bedded. I've been thinking about putting a break on it or murcury dampening it. Does the murcury really help that much? As for the break, I'll be hunting with my rifle so I'm not sure a break would be a good idea. Because how often do you actually wear hearing protection when hunting? I think directing thoes gasses back towards you would destroy your ears. Also, does a muzzle break affect velocity?

Yeah the mercury reducer is very effective. If there's room in the forend of the stock to install it there then that's probably the best location, some stocks have more meat up front to install during bedding, but if not then in the buttstock as high as you can to align it with the bore. As far as a break goes...yeah, loud!!! So your assumption is correct about hunting with it if you don't plan on using hearing protection. I bought my chrono after the break was installed. I get good velocity with hand loads so it's a non factor. POI can change a little so you'll need to check zero each time it's used. That's assuming you have it threaded and have a thread protector when not using it. With both a break and MRR my 300 is a pleasure to shoot...maybe too much. I'm always at the loading table making more fun.

Thanks for the feedback. When I take my gun in I'll see if they can do the mecury while they have it. Anything else I should look into getting done to the rifle? My goal is to be able to take it out to at least 1000 yards. I have a Burris M-Tac 4-14 x 40mm on it right now, will that be enough for 1000?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.