300 WM Load

drtony

Would like to developer a 300 WM load for elk hunting (ideally one load that can be effective for short or long range. If it doesn't exist I'll load for one of each)

I have never reloaded before, but my dad has all the equipment.

Who is willing to share the fruits of their labor with me? Bullet type, brass type, primer type, powder type (and amount).

Am I missing something? I'd like optimum performance. From what I can gather, the Berger VLDs look quite nice.

Thank you all in advance!

Also, if you know a thread where this already exists I'd be happy to read through it if you can point me in the right direction.

Tell us about your gun. Make, model, and any other specs.

+1 for Bergers. They work for up close and far out, in my experience. At least when using heavy for caliber. I'd look for 210 Hunting VLD, 215 Hybrid Target, or 230 OTM's. The 215s and 230's are labeled as target bullets but don't worry one bit, they kill elk dead. Look for articles by "broz" on here and longrangeonly.com and become a believer in the 215 Hybrids.

Nosler Brass (ADG, Hornady, also work)
Federal Gold Medal Match Primers (215M)
H1000 Powder should be on your short list and maybe the only powder you'll need. R-33 is another good one.

I just bought a browning Xbolt LR. 26" Heavy sporter barrel and 1:8" twist.

Do you think there are negatives to the VLD shedding so much mass? Loss of meat?

They added faster twist rates to shoot heavies on this model. They switched many Calibers to faster twists. I love my xbolt in 28 nosler. Good luck with the 300 win. I want one too

Do you think there are negatives to the VLD shedding so much mass? Loss of meat?

Tony, That is a great gun. You should be able to work up loads from coyote to bison. Every gun shoots different. People will have starting loads for each. I have a 300rum and can't help.

Very good choice of rifles. I love what browning is doing with twist rates and am considering picking one up myself.

The magazine on the X-Bolt will allow for about a 3.6" COAL. That should give you room to work with bullet seating depth.

As to meat loss. I shoot for the crease behind the front leg. It'll make mush of the heart and/or lungs and your elk will drop.

I shoot several 300 WMs using the Hornady 208 grain ELD Match bullets. Load them to 3.600" with 75 to 78 grains of H1000. Berger 215s have also shot well in some of my guns but so far they have all liked the bullets very near to, or touching the lands. Not every gun will fit such handloads into the magazine.

With a 1:8" twist rate, I would try to take advantage of the heavier bullets, as others have suggested. Anything over 200gr should be great. Also, where are you hunting? If you want/need to use a lead free bullet, Hammer Bullets are fantastic and easy to load for. They are long for their weight and carry a high BC. They make a 214gr and a 227gr that would work with your twist rate. https://hammerbullets.com/product-tag/308/page/2/

I don't work for or represent Hammer Bullets in any official or unofficial capacity- I'm just a happy customer of theirs that really likes what I've used from them in my 6.5 rifles and am about to start development for my .300, and they're big supporters of this site.

H1000 is a good starting point. If for some reason your rifle doesn't like it you can always look at some of the other suggestions, but H1000 is fairly forgiving in this cartridge.

For brass, I like Nosler and ADG. That said, I bought my Nosler before I knew about ADG- had I bought ADG first I never would have spent the money on Nosler. Quality yes, but it's expensive. ADG has the quality and a good price.

Primers- I have both the Fed215 and the Fed215M. Both work great, so buy whatever you can get the easiest at your local shop.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts