.300 wm for Nevada Elk Hunting

Schnyd112

My dad and I both drew Nevada bull elk tags. Pretty excited, we have been applying for 18+ years and are finally hunting in November. We are both residents and have hunted Nevada extensively, his area we have a solid plan. Mine is going to take a couple long drives and extended spotting sessions but it's an adventure I look forward to.

Onto the guts:
We have a .300 win mag in model 70 sporter. It has been bedded, cut to 13.25" lop and a fit with a new trigger. Sporting a Burris veracity with adjustable turrets and ffp.

Load:
Norma brass
Cci mag primers
71.8 g 4831sc
180 accubonds
2900 fps at the muzzle

We plan on this being bad medicine for anything inside 600 yards. Am I being over confident? I have had a few scoff at the bullets saying I need more bc to trust at that range. I really like accubonds on big game. I have shot them that far in this rifle, dad has shot that far, matter of fact it is just a skosh under 13 Moa vertical elevation to get there. Confirmed drops over several days inside 400 but have only had this rifle to 600 once.

Shoot more? Of course, that's a given. But am I flirting with disaster planing on this load for 600 and in?

Nothing wrong with 180s. The heavier bullets drift a little bit less in the wind but inside of 1000 yards thats about it. The 180s actually shoot flatter and recoil less.

I will admit I've moved on to the 215. But that use to be my elk bullet. It worked well from 50 yds to 800 quite well. Was shot out of a 300wm, speed was just a tad over 3000 fps. Have fun and best of luck.

I will admit I've moved on to the 215. But that use to be my elk bullet. It worked well from 50 yds to 800 quite well. Was shot out of a 300wm, speed was just a tad over 3000 fps. Have fun and best of luck.

Am eyeing the 190 Berger. Still have some time to see if things can improve. I know I will gain some BC but don't know as much about terminal performance.

No brake, so bigger bullets are bigger recoil. The factory 210's we shot were noticeably more stout. If I could get noticeably better results from a factory barrel I am willing to experiment.

Folks are killing elk with 6.5 Creedmoor Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X Precision hunter rounds.

The 6.5 CM in the 140 gr. range is virtually the same trajectory as a 180 gr. .300 Win mag round, bullets being roughly the same BC.

I have a Browning A-Bolt in .300 Win mag that I used to hunt cow elk two years ago in the Jarbige Wilderness Area but last year I hunted there for cow elk and buck muleys with the 6.5 CM in a Ruger American Predator. No luck either time.:eek:(

Eric B.

Congrats on the Bull Tag! I drew mine two years ago and had a great hunt. You will be just fine to 600 yards with the 180 Accubond. That is the exact combo that I used. Shot my bull at 560.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.