300 wm factory hunting ammo

JasonBales

I have a 26" 1/10 twist 300 wm. I was given 200 grain eldx ammo with it. I was told it "liked" this stuff. Well I shot it today and I didn't "like" it. I have seen eldx do well before but not this time. I do not reload or have familiar information with 300 wm ammo that typically works well. I was thinking of trying the federal Berger hybrid Hunter ammo next. Any other recommendations? I did manage to get the eldx to steel at 700 rounds today. It just shoots a little wild for me.

I your looking to shoot heavy try Berger 215 factory. If you are ok with 180 gr there are tones of options.

I have a 26" 1/10 twist 300 wm. I was given 200 grain eldx ammo with it. I was told it "liked" this stuff. Well I shot it today and I didn't "like" it. I have seen eldx do well before but not this time. I do not reload or have familiar information with 300 wm ammo that typically works well. I was thinking of trying the federal Berger hybrid Hunter ammo next. Any other recommendations? I did manage to get the eldx to steel at 700 rounds today. It just shoots a little wild for me.
They shoot ok out of my 300WM, enough to kill deer in the woods, but they do not group as well as the 178grn. or 168grn. Amax bullets do ! I reloaded all that I shot. All you can do is keep trying different bullets, and possibly have someone you know that is competent load some rounds for you to try . I use nothing but boattailed bullets ! Good luck !

I would not hesitate to use Berger factory 300 Win Mag loaded with 215's on up to elk size game. They typically shoot 1" @ 100 yards in my rifles, (some do a little better). I believe they are loaded with about 78-78.5 gr of Ramshot Magnum powder in a Norma case, and what most likely is a Federal 215 primer. Yields 2886 FPS in the 26" 10 twist rifles I've tried them in.
If your rifle shoots them and you don't reload, look no further.

Maybe you could save all your Norma cases for me! LOL!! I have a rifle and a load that likes their volume.

My Savage M116 in 300 WinMag really liked the 180 grain Hornady sst Superperfomance under one inch five shot groups at 100 yards.

Try Barnes. I believe they load their 200 LRX. You might want to try the Federal 180 TBT load.

I like 168 to 180 wt loads in both 300wm & 300Sm. I have harvested mule deer at 440 yards. Neither like the heavy bullets 200 plus. The burgers that I have purchased will shoot hole for hole , five shots. My 300sm likes a clean barrel , the 300wm likes a foul round. Both are stainless

I might very like the 200g ELD-x ammo but you're n the mercy of factory that may vary from lot to lot. Below is an example of a variation of a factory load except in 6.5 CM and Winchester deer season XP at 200 yards.

1 of 2 6.5 CM.jpg
2 of 2 6.5 CM.jpg

Another vote for the 215 Berger!

haven't tried em myself but Berger's got loaded ammo out now, Berger 185 Classic Hunter.
I ran at least six different brands through a 300WM Tikka T3x and settled on the 200gr ELD-X, it's what the Tikka liked. My 7RM stainless Tikka likes the Barnes and my 7RM T3 Hunter likes Hornady.

My Xbolt (same barrel twist/length as yours) shot the Nosler Trophy Grade 190 ABLR very well (but they are expensive) and since late last summer unavailable. My rifle also liked, the HSM 168 gr Berger HVLD. Both shot sub-MOA. I since have worked up a load (just recently) for the Berger 190 gr HVLD and it shoots half-MOA if I do my part. That is the round I'm going with and will reload it myself for a lot less cash. I haven't chrono'd it yet but assuming its pushing around the 2800-2900 fps range. I will confirm that once I re-zero my scope and get Turkey season and my dog test out of the way

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.