300 wm bullets/ Broz

bob4

In a topic where Broz tested the 215 Berger Target he compared the 210 he had been shooting before. Does anyone know if he was talking about the 210 Target or hunting bullet? Another question was altitude. Does lower altitude effect how these 2 bullets act? I hunt the east coast for the most part.

If I had to guess about the bullets, I would say the hunting version being the one he tested. I have read the post before but can't remember all the details. He resides over at "longrangeonly.com" now. Lot's of good info/reading over there also.
As far as altitude; I shoot in Eastern NC, 30-45 mins from the coast. My altitude is 45ft, according to what I can find and measure, I changed it in my ballistic app to 4500ft and 10000ft and it made little to no change, at least nothing I would worry about while dialing (45ft; 18.05MOA to get to 1000yds, 10000ft; 17.96MOA to 1k). That was using my 7mmRemMag with 169.5gn Wildcats at 3062fps. Not the 30 cal bullet but gives you an idea, I would think.

I shoot the 215 & 230 Hybrids in AZ from a 1:10" .300RUM. From 1100 to 9000+ AMSL. No stability issues here.

As for drop changes from sea level to 10k, I do not see how you cannot notice a difference in drop. I am seeing a 27" difference in drop, or .7MIL.

I tried the in a 300 Weatherby 1-10 twist at 800ft. I had to adjust BC to lower to get hits at 1000 yards. The BC was lower than the 208 ELD and I seen no benefits to using it.
When the temps dropped in the 40s, I really started having problems.

Sorry Johnny, gotta set this straight.
I shoot the 215 & 230 Hybrids in AZ from a 1:10" .300RUM. From 1100 to 9000+ AMSL. No stability issues here.

As for drop changes from sea level to 10k, I do not see how you cannot notice a difference in drop. I am seeing a 27" difference in drop, or .7MIL.
Thats because his pressure isn't absolute, he is only changing a number in the app that has basically little to no effect (altitude). If you don't adjust the barometric pressure to match that altitude then you may as well be at sea level, the app will make it so you are.

Sorry Johnny, gotta set this straight.

Thats because his pressure isn't absolute, he is only changing a number in the app that has basically little to no effect (altitude). If you don't adjust the barometric pressure to match that altitude then you may as well be at sea level, the app will make it so you are.
I know exactly what you mean. Makes a big difference with accurate inputs into a ballistic program.

Yep, at the altitude we elk hunt my buddy's .300winmag with a 215 Berger @ 2900 fps has the same retained velocity and energy as a fast .300 RUM with the same bullet @ 3200 down where we live (close to sea level). I leave the altitude at zero and use station pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.