300 WM Bullet Testing Results -- Opinions??

i wouldnt settle on those es's either .. everone wants a 1 es .. highest id settle for is maybe 20-30 if the group was great .. good case prep and carefully weighing powder will usually get you in the 10-20 range fairly easily

if you dont plan on loading em .. might be best to just try 4-6 different factory options and go with what shoots best

some good reading material
http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html

s7 contour .. 26"

or https://northlandshooterssupply.com/barrels/criterion-savage/

Last edited:
Sorry sir, but I am going to be brutally honest. Those groups and the data collected are not close to being acceptable for shooting at the ranges you indicated.

I know you said someone else was loading the ammo for you so it is difficult to further advise on load development without more information as for the powder, primer, seating depth etc. used. If you can provide this information, maybe we

Without control of the reloading process you may want to buy commercially available ammo (if you can find any) and see what shoots best in your gun. A quick check on ammoseek.com I turned up a few options. May be cheaper unless your reloading company will do your load development for you. Those SD ES numbers are not good enough for long range hunting.

Hello all,

I wanted to see if I could get some opinions, based off of my results, for which bullet you would choose to do load development on. Disclaimer, I am very new to LR/precision shooting, so there is the possibility that my accuracy ability slightly affected the groupings. I ordered this ammunition from a local reloading company, and will detail the data that I recorded below (I shot two, 5-shot strings on different days and recorded the following data). I have included photos of a few of the groups below, and used a quarter for reference in grouping size. Personally, based off of what little knowledge I have, would say that the Barnes LRX and 180gr. Accubond performed the best. I hunt elk, deer, and bear, and want a bullet that is capable at taking these animals out to 650-700 yards.

**EDIT: I should also add that I am shooting a stock Savage 110 Hunter in 300 Win Mag... the barrel on this is a standard "sporter" contour, so assume that some shots may have been thrown as barrel heated up.

Please tell me your recommendations on how you would proceed (e.g. which bullet). Additionally, what should be the next step in the load development process to bring down my SD and ES? Is it charge weight, seating depth, or otherwise? Thank you all!!

190gr. Barnes LRX
FPS per shot: 2972, 2979, 2906, 2928, 2912
SD: 30/34 (2 separate recordings)
ES: 64/74

190gr. Accubond Long Range
SD: 23/44
ES: 62/103

180gr. Accubond
FPS per shot: 2970, 2986, 3013, 2979, 3004
SD: 12/17
ES: 30/43

View attachment 274536View attachment 274538View attachment 274539View attachment 274540
I'd try a box of factory shells to make a comparison....close to same weights...if someone else is loading for you you may be on a long quest,. However you have pointed out that this is new to you....just a question here so please don't take exception to it.....are you happy with these groups? And are you good enought to shoot better than this....or have you shot better groups yet? If yes...to better...with what ammo ..this might be the best this loader can give you!

Hello all,

I wanted to see if I could get some opinions, based off of my results, for which bullet you would choose to do load development on. Disclaimer, I am very new to LR/precision shooting, so there is the possibility that my accuracy ability slightly affected the groupings. I ordered this ammunition from a local reloading company, and will detail the data that I recorded below (I shot two, 5-shot strings on different days and recorded the following data). I have included photos of a few of the groups below, and used a quarter for reference in grouping size. Personally, based off of what little knowledge I have, would say that the Barnes LRX and 180gr. Accubond performed the best. I hunt elk, deer, and bear, and want a bullet that is capable at taking these animals out to 650-700 yards.

**EDIT: I should also add that I am shooting a stock Savage 110 Hunter in 300 Win Mag... the barrel on this is a standard "sporter" contour, so assume that some shots may have been thrown as barrel heated up.

Please tell me your recommendations on how you would proceed (e.g. which bullet). Additionally, what should be the next step in the load development process to bring down my SD and ES? Is it charge weight, seating depth, or otherwise? Thank you all!!

190gr. Barnes LRX
FPS per shot: 2972, 2979, 2906, 2928, 2912
SD: 30/34 (2 separate recordings)
ES: 64/74

190gr. Accubond Long Range
SD: 23/44
ES: 62/103

180gr. Accubond
FPS per shot: 2970, 2986, 3013, 2979, 3004
SD: 12/17
ES: 30/43

View attachment 274536View attachment 274538View attachment 274539View attachment 274540
Quick question did you do any ladder test with any of these bullets to try different weights of powder to see which one the barrel like best. Are you aware of barrel harmonics? And as far as The LRX they are more deadly than anything I took an elk last year with 127 Lrx out of a 65 300 I shoot 190s out of my 300 WinMag and 175 out of my 300 saum.
it's a real lights out round. oh and the 127 is also my Creedmoor hunting bullet for deer. I guess what I'm suggesting
Is pick one bullet you want to try ladder test it find which two or three group pretty good with each other with ample cooling time of the barrel then do 2 to 33 round groups to see which one shoot you better and tighter. Then play with your seating you might have to pull in a route to fine-tune it to make it a one whole gun. Most of the time you can get anything to shoot.

I shoot LRX bullets exclusively. Elk and antelope hate them.

They are very sensitive to COAL, preferring a long way off the lands.

Almost all calibers shoot less than 0.5 moa at distance. Some 0.25.

Terminal performance has been outstanding. They perform like a bullet 20% heavier than lead core.

You will not be able to tune the loads without doing your own reloading.

Good luck.

Gotcha. The bayonet hanging off the end of your "sporter" contour barrel definitely played a part in "throwing" some of those shots pictured.

I'm afraid this is going to be difficult to do if you are not in direct control of the reloading process. 😕
Interesting. I guess I probably should have only recorded data for the first 25 rounds... guess I know for next time!

Luckily, the company does custom loads, so I have the ability to order a next box to test seating depth, etc. At some point a custom would be nice... 😂

Sorry sir, but I am going to be brutally honest. Those groups and the data collected are not close to being acceptable for shooting at the ranges you indicated.

I know you said someone else was loading the ammo for you so it is difficult to further advise on load development without more information as for the powder, primer, seating depth etc. used. If you can provide this information, maybe we could help out.
I will see if I can obtain that information. Yes, I am fully aware of that. Frankly, I was somewhat disappointed to see the ES/SD values I recorded. No plans to shoot at that distance until I can do my part... just trying to make sure my rifle and ammunition are up to the task, and then work on the final variable... me.

It's gonna be very hard to accomplish what you're wishing to not loading you own ammo in my opinion. Those ES and SD are pretty high and won't help you . Granted with the info you've been given by others that will help but being able to roll your own will drastically change your outcomes. If and when you get to where you can roll your own ammo I personally only change one variation at a time .
As far as bullets go I've never tried Barnes but I do like the way accubonds perform on game and have never not been able to get them to shoot nicely.
I'm not saying that you can't get your desired results shooting the ammo you're able to get from wherever it is your getting it from , but it'll be more difficult
Trust me... I wish I had the equipment. I have the press, now need the other components... powder, bullets, etc. were hard to find last I checked...

I personally believe that you are chasing your tail with this supplier. Even if you do a full seating test and then a full ladder test, do they have the lot numbers of brass, primers, bullets and powder to make it meaningful? If they do, are you then willing to purchase a meaningful quantity to make it all worth while? What about throat erosion and temperature and elevation deviations.

Not that it can't be done, but I find it very unlikely and probably a money pit.

Id be spending my money on reloading supplies, even if you have to "over pay" for some of the components.

Good luck Sir!
Steve

@BoomFlop has a very solid point here especially from the monetary point of view. Considering all the 'variables' that could be changed concerning the ammo (and I don't even know what the company you're using charges for this service) I'd be concerned about the cost to benefit ratio here...🤔

The bullets you are testing will certainly get the job done in my opinion. Hitting and cleanly killing a deer or an elk at 650 yds in the field though is really difficult. I was on a plane once with one of those folks that film a lot of 800 to 1000 yd one shot kills and at the end of his pitch to sell his product, I asked how many attempts did it take to produce the 10 one shot kills in his video. He closed the scrapbook he was showing me and never said another word for the next hour of the flight.

i cant see how anyone could liability wise offer this service .. short of taking your gun for a month and doing all the reloading chores for you .. then in the end having a custom taylored round 300 win mag that might end up in the wrong gun.. what parts are ya missing