300 wm 10 twist - which hammer hunter

Just to contrarian, Why switch, Siroccos are pretty reliable?
The scirricco's have been very reliable, and the factory ammo is very good for factory, but I'm hoping to step it up a notch - gain more consistent accuracy with handloads, and maybe increase velocity. Also like the higher certainty of an exit wound with a monolithic bullet, particularly on long quartering shots, or when you want to break down the shoulders and anchor them on the spot. Getting rid of the lead is an added bonus.

Now that you have your twist rate, call the guy at Hammer Bullets and ask him. He will have solid advise for you about which powder(s) guys have had good results with, as well as other tips that will keep you from using a ton of these bullets to find your preferred load.
Great advice. I called and spoke with Steve today, he was very helpful. I've got a couple boxes of 178 gr. Absolute Hammers on the way, and got some great tips on where to start.

Sounds like you did alright with measuring. The shorter barrel won't hurt you in terms of twist. It's tough to add velocity, and gain stability. JBM has an online stability calculator that's easy to use to help sorting stability issues between bullets.

If what cartridge you're using has been mentioned I missed it.

Butterbean is a high velocity guy, I'm historically a bigger bullet fan, and when changing bullet weights it's usually 25-30 grains at a time. He says use the 152, but he generally uses lighter faster, I like the 174 grains Hammer Hunters in my .30 calibers, which my minimum in .308's used to be 200 grains. Whose right? Split the difference, and use a 166 Hammer Hunter?

Hammer's are slowly changing how I view terminal performance. A lighter bullet that has consistent performance can work very well. The 181's likely will work fine for you, but a little more stability helps keep the bullet square to the target, and in my opinion helps with expansion, and straight line penetration.

Good Luck!
I'm more in the "heavy bullet" camp myself, at least for elk. Hunted with a 7mm Rem mag for years, using 150 and 160 gr bullets, and while I did have several DRT shots with it, I feel like the 300 win mag with 180 grain bullets, on average, has been a more emphatic killer. I'm hopeful with the 178 gr Absolute Hammer I'll get the mass I'm looking for, and have better than average speed.

I prefer the 196 HH out of my Sendero 26" 300WM with RL 26=3150 fps. I am also in heavy bullet camp fir the 300WM. Easy 1/2MOA with this load. Can't wait to try out on some of bigger Indiana whitetails on a lease down there. The 166HH are shooting great out of my 300WSM as well. Have some 162 AH coming to try. Believe the 196 HH will be great elk load too.

... .....I feel like the 300 win mag with 180 grain bullets, on average, has been a more emphatic killer. I'm hopeful with the 178 gr Absolute Hammer I'll get the mass I'm looking for, and have better than average speed............

A good choice, looking forward to you experience.

Highly recommend RL26 with the 181HH if you like screaming velocity. 3300 is reachable in 26" barrel. I just shot it for fun and it shot well but still prefer heavy weights.

Great advice. I called and spoke with Steve today, he was very helpful. I've got a couple boxes of 178 gr. Absolute Hammers on the way, and got some great tips on where to start.

Very good. Looking forward to hearing how that works out for you. Best of luck.

Tell me more about this 300 wsm. What is your set up gun and powers

Thanks

Buck
It was a Winchester Mod 70 Sporter, 124g Hammer Hunter using a max load of H414, it hit the plate so hard@ 500 I could stick the tip of my finger in the crater

D0B45EE5-EC92-49B5-9054-9DB69D9B7297.jpeg

It was a Winchester Mod 70 Sporter, 124g Hammer Hunter using a max load of H414, it hit the plate so hard@ 500 I could stick the tip of my finger in the crater

View attachment 219586

Butter Bean,
Most of us punch paper, not steel!
I've been shooting 168 g TTSX out of my 300WSM, but I'm also ready to try some Hammers.
I don't need no steel puncher though! The game I hunt are not near that tough!!!

Butter Bean,
Most of us punch paper, not steel!
I've been shooting 168 g TTSX out of my 300WSM, but I'm also ready to try some Hammers.
I don't need no steel puncher though! The game I hunt are not near that tough!!!
Bud I swear they stand up to the name "Hammer", I've shot Barnes myself and they are a great bullet but the Hammers are a game changer, I just got an order of Absolutes in so I'm anxious to see how hard I can push them

I've got some Peterson brass on the way, and plan to full length size it before loading. I've got a Whidden bushing die set, what should I be running for the bushing diameter to get a good grip on the Absolute Hammer bullet? I've got some once fired Fiochi brass that I sized to .334 but the Absolute Hammer slides in and out pretty freely.