300 winmag vs 338 lapua ??

steffen454

Hello

in the next days, i will go to buy a new hs precision htr rifle in 300 winmag with muzzle brake or the same in 338 lapua mag?

Im not sure wich caliber i should select? What catridge is the better in accuracy and so on?

I will use it especially for wild boar in germany.

What barrel length should i choose, i think in winmag the 26 inch is right.. But is 26" enough also in 338 lapua..or better 28" necessary for lapua??.. im not sure!

What do you mean? What caliber would you choose?
Thanks a lot for answering!

Greetings

I've had both of these rifles as offered (in the past) by HS Precision.

The 300 Win mag In the HS 2000LA was probably one of the highest precision rifles I've ever owned. I have several three (3) shot groups under .2 MOA with the Nosler 180 Ballistic Tip (BT) @~3150 FPS.

The 338 lapua in the HS 2000LA was NOT a keeper and I won't buy any more HS rifles based on the experiences involving the 338 Lapua HS 2000 LA.

For the money I'd go with a different builder and use a cannibalized action. The 300 Win Mag would be my choice and I've killed big game animals at over 900 yards with the 180 BT in the 300 Win mag. I pick the 300 Win mag because of ammo availability, recoil and handiness. I'm getting to where I like a shorter rifle and for hard to kill critters I can load heavy bullets.

26 inch barrel in a 300 Win mag should be fine but for the Lapua a 28 would certainly be better IMHO.

I've killed hogs with both the 300 Win mag and the 338 Lapua and it's not to difficult to figure which performs better in that department... the big 338 rounds (I used the 250 Game King and the 300 Match King) are hard to beat for killing power. I have lost hogs after hits from both the 300 Win mag and 338 Lapua (double lung shot with the 338 Lapua) but it's certainly no contest between to two for which to use as the 338 Lapua is serious medicine.

For a populous area hunt or shoot I sometimes worried about the larger 338 rounds bouncing around after they leave the critter whereas in the 300 Win mag I didn't worry nearly as much.

Thanks a lot Dave !

I think about but i think i will go with the hs 300 winmag with muzzle brake..
i have had this gun but without the brake, now i sold it cause of the recoil was to much for me..

Now i will buy a new but with muzzle brake

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.