300 WinMag - Nightforce & Bullet Recipe

Glassin

300 Win Mag w/#4 Contour, 25" Shilen barrel and Rem 700 action. Building for optimum elk/mule deer rifle accuracy and energy up to 800+ yds. Heavily considering Nightforce scope. Questions: 1. Best bullet brand and grain weight for elk/mulies 800 yds (ie- Berger/Barnes 185 gr?). 2. Nightforce: 3.5X15 or 5.5x22? 50mm or 56mm? If 56mm, do I need the medium or high scope mounts? I think the bullet ballistics (velocity) are required to determine which Nightforce reticle is appropriate prior to ordering scope? Thx 4 your time.

My rule on optics is always go for the larger objective. It gathers more light by a considerable amount due to the increased diameter. Glass quality being equal on the two models you'll therefore have far better low light performance.

As for bullets, you'll get a lot of answers. Find what your rifle shoots best as bullet placement is far more important than any other factor.

I prefer to use true hunting bullets with my favorites being the Hornady Interbond and SST (I won't use SST's at magnum velocities in sub 300yd shooting though because they can be pretty explosive) as well as the Nosler Accubond and Swift Scirocco II's.

I have killed literally thousands of hogs, deer etc with the Hornady bullets and they have never failed me but there are higher BC offerings out there today.

The difference in BC's though with bullets like the Berger don't make a whole lot of difference at these ranges but definitely do as you get to 1000yds and beyond.

For the really dedicated guys who are strictly loading for LR and ELR the Berger's work best.

They are however tricky to get to work in a lot of rifles and really want to be loaded long or they do not function well consistently.

You will probably need to go with Medium rings depending on your base if you go to the 56mm Obj. I use lows with my EGW HD rails and NF Rails and have clearance with the 50's but not a whole lot.

Good luck and welcome.

200 grain accubond
Norma brass
h1000
Seat .005 off lands
Runs about 2930 fps in mine
Low rings with 5-22x50 nightforce. 56mm will be close, maybe mediums. MOAR reticle or npr1. NF rings and rail

This is my 300 which is very similar to your described

Luke hits a good point. Your best down range performance will probably come with 180gr or heavier bullets due to their higher BC's and energy over similar lighter bullets.

For a 800 yard shot on elk if you don't load the 215 Bergers you are really missing out. The 215 breaths new life into a 300 win. Mine just went 22 and 0 with 215 Bergers for one shot kills. Probably 15 or more of those were elk from 400 to 800 yards. 3 antelope over 1000.

Fed 215 M primer
H-1000
Berger 215 (start at -.040" off the lands)

I have shot 30 cals for years and this is a killing machine.

19 of those 22 kills are documented in this thread. Read it and decide for yourself if this is what you want.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Jeff

I prefer the 5.5x22 npr-1 or moar (you don't have to use the extra power but is nice) and like the 50mm just because of the size of the objective.
For bullet weights go 200gr or better. I live in kalifornia, we are copper only in certain areas and soon to be state wide. The barnes 200lrx shoot and perform well although I haven't shoot them at extreme range. When I hunt out of state I have started using the berger 215's. As with any frangible bullet, you better use care in shot placement, they can not be run from stem to stern.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.