.300 Winchester Magnum & Hornady ELD-X bullet?

PVTJackSon7rm

I have just built a .300 Winchester Magnum and am looking for a load that has worked well for others using the Hornady ELD-X bullet. I have purchased 200, 220 grain Hornady ELD-X bullets. I have found several loads for it but don't know how fast that heavy of a bullet should run. I was hoping Hornady would load a factory round for the .300 Winchester Magnum to try and match their velocity but Hornady only loads the 200 grain ELD-X running at about 2850 fps. So any information would be helpful however I don't need to know what loads work well in a .300 WSM, .300 RUM, .300 Weatherby. These are all good calibers however they will help me in no way.

I have just built a .300 Winchester Magnum and am looking for a load that has worked well for others using the Hornady ELD-X bullet. I have purchased 200, 220 grain Hornady ELD-X bullets. I have found several loads for it but don't know how fast that heavy of a bullet should run. I was hoping Hornady would load a factory round for the .300 Winchester Magnum to try and match their velocity but Hornady only loads the 200 grain ELD-X running at about 2850 fps. So any information would be helpful however I don't need to know what loads work well in a .300 WSM, .300 RUM, .300 Weatherby. These are all good calibers however they will help me in no way.[/QUOTE]

I have just built a .300 Winchester Magnum and am looking for a load that has worked well for others using the Hornady ELD-X bullet. I have purchased 200, 220 grain Hornady ELD-X bullets. I have found several loads for it but don't know how fast that heavy of a bullet should run. I was hoping Hornady would load a factory round for the .300 Winchester Magnum to try and match their velocity but Hornady only loads the 200 grain ELD-X running at about 2850 fps. So any information would be helpful however I don't need to know what loads work well in a .300 WSM, .300 RUM, .300 Weatherby. These are all good calibers however they will help me in no way.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Here you go ... also, you can do a custom query using the top right hand corner, there are a few threads on ELD-X bullets.

LRHcustomsearch_zpsa1485285.jpg

Attachments

• ReloadingData300WinchesterMagnum200grELDX.pdf
    63.3 KB · Views: 2,064
  • ReloadingData300WinMag212grELDX.pdf
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,393
  • ReloadingData300WinMag220grELDX.pdf
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,419
Thanks for your help however I have another question I have a 7MM REMINGTON MAGNUM that I need load data for a 162 grain ELD-MATCH bullet. Can find no data for these bullets any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again

[/QUOTE]

Here is load data:
Win brass, cci 250, 200gr ELD-x, RL 22 at 74.0gr. 2970 fps and 3900 ft lbs of energy. THis is from a Tikka with a 24" barrel. Note that this is over a max load if you look at Hornady's chart. I worked up starting from 72 grains.

Thank you ihuntak what kind of a groups are you getting out of the 200g ELD-X?

I shoot them out of my factory 7mm Remington Magnum and get 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards (that is as long as my range is) and I am using 60g of H4831 at about 2780 fps using a 162g ELD-M. I think that Hornady has made an even better bullet than their A-MAX bullets. I shot an 1 1/4 group with a 168g A-MAX in my .308 using H4895 41.5g moving at 2650 fps. I used to be and still am a Sierra fan however I am more and more impressed with Hornady bullets. I have switched from Sierra to Hornady A-MAX for my match round in my .308 for two reasons. The A-MAX is cheaper and uses less powder to get the same velocity. I have found them to be more accurate once you get beyond 250 yards.

Thank you for your help again. I am looking for a start load for the 30 cal 220g ELD-X for my new .300 Winchester Magnum.

I forgot to put the range in the last post for my .308 A-MAX group of an 1 1/4 was shot at 300 yards (had to stand in line at a public range to shoot that group).

Hornady is making better bullets each day. I also switched from Sierra to the A-MAX was because the BC is higher than that of the Sierra MatchKing. The A-MAX hasa BC of 0.475 forva 168g where the Sierra MatchKing has a BC of 0.462 (BC's were taken for each bullet manufacturer).

Don't get me wrong I LOVE THE SIERRA MATCHKING however the A-MAX is can find almost everywhere I go and it is cheaper than the Sierra MatchKing. So if I was competing for great amounts of money in would use the MatchKing but to punch holes in paper and shoot coyotes and varmints the A-MAX works more than okay.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Here you go ... also, you can do a custom query using the top right hand corner, there are a few threads on ELD-X bullets.

LRHcustomsearch_zpsa1485285.jpg
Well, I'd really like to know what primer to use. I'm assuming this is factory winchester brass, LR26 powder and of course the 200 gr eld-x to get the 2850 FPS but no where can I find if this is a federal 215 M primer. I do not want to over pressure.

Well, I'd really like to know what primer to use. I'm assuming this is factory winchester brass, LR26 powder and of course the 200 gr eld-x to get the 2850 FPS but no where can I find if this is a federal 215 M primer. I do not want to over pressure.

Hornady uses their own brass (Hornady/Frontier) and WLRM primer on their 10th ed reloading manual. It does not list RL26 as one of the powders tested for 200 ELD-X.

Hornady uses their own brass (Hornady/Frontier) and WLRM primer on their 10th ed reloading manual. It does not list RL26 as one of the powders tested for 200 ELD-X.

So are you saying I should not use this data as it is shown here. All I really need to know if what primer they used with this RL 22 to achieve the 2,850 FPS which is the factory load speed for this bullet. This is to be shot in a off the shelf weapon.

Attachments

• loading data.jpg
    loading data.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 7,643
So are you saying I should not use this data as it is shown here. All I really need to know if what primer they used with this RL 22 to achieve the 2,850 FPS which is the factory load speed for this bullet. This is to be shot in a off the shelf weapon.

I provided a load data tested by Hornady, what you do with it is entirely up to you. I provided the primer they used, which is WLRM and the brass, which is Frontier/Hornady. What else needs clarification?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.