300 winchester case head seperation ???

bigbuck

A friend of mine was out hunting yesterday and shot a doe when he tried to extract the spent shell the case head came off I would like to buy a tool that would fit my 300 rum as well as his 300 winchester . Does anyone make an adjustable broken shell extractor tool? Is their any shade tree methods that will work. Thanks for the help in advance:)

Bigbuck

A 20 guage copper brush will pull it right out.

Now park your full length sizing die and get a Lee Collet die. The head separation is from bumping the shoulder too far back.

A 20 guage copper brush will pull it right out.

Now park your full length sizing die and get a Lee Collet die. The head separation is from bumping the shoulder too far back.

Thanks I'll try it ..... I always thought that it was from too many loads. Maybe I'm wrong but why does my 22-250 .243 7mm 300rum 06 .270 all work fine from full length size die ? Not trying to argue could it be that the belted cased 300 win. is the problem? Thanks for your help and input.

Bigbuck

The belt is a small factor but any bottle nose case is suseptible to head seperations if you bump the shoulder back too far. On belted cases I prefer to neck size so as to headspace off the shoulder rather than the belt. Then belted cases last as long as any other cases.

Did the copper brush pul the case remains out for you? A 45 cal pistol brush will work sometimes too. Just push it in from the breach end and then pull.

The belt is a small factor but any bottle nose case is suseptible to head seperations if you bump the shoulder back too far. On belted cases I prefer to neck size so as to headspace off the shoulder rather than the belt. Then belted cases last as long as any other cases.

Did the copper brush pul the case remains out for you? A 45 cal pistol brush will work sometimes too. Just push it in from the breach end and then pull.

I just read your post I will try it as soon as I can I don't have the gun with me at this moment . When you push the brush throught the breach end do you try to push the brush through the case neck or does it bind in the shell body? The tools that I've seen from brownells work by going through the neck I just want to make sure of how far I need to push the brush Thanks

Bigbuck

Bigbuck, have you checked the other cases for head seperation? You can use a sharp pointed tool as a feeler to keep tabs on this. If you take this tool and gently feel the inside of the case, you will usually feel the ring start to form on the inside first. This will tell you if they are starting to fail. Sometimes a paper clip will work for this, but what I ended up getting was a dental hygenist tool. The stainless one with a sharp point on both ends. The other post about not pushing shoulders back too far is sound advice. I only try and push the shoulder back about .001-.002 and headspace on the shoulder itself.

Bigbuck, have you checked the other cases for head seperation? You can use a sharp pointed tool as a feeler to keep tabs on this. If you take this tool and gently feel the inside of the case, you will usually feel the ring start to form on the inside first. This will tell you if they are starting to fail. Sometimes a paper clip will work for this, but what I ended up getting was a dental hygenist tool. The stainless one with a sharp point on both ends. The other post about not pushing shoulders back too far is sound advice. I only try and push the shoulder back about .001-.002 and headspace on the shoulder itself.

Thanks for the advice:)

Bigbuck

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts