300 Win to 300 UM?

littletoes

I have a Rem 700 BDL in 300 Win mag.. How hard is it to change to a 300 Ultra mag. or a 338 Ultra? This rifle has had no modifications. I purchased it new back in the early 80's. It is in excellent shape, and hasn't been fired much.

It is an easy job. However, if your going to spend the money to get it re-chambered and send it off to a gunsmith or take it to one you might as well spend the extra cash and get a quality barrel in a twist that matches the weight bullets you intend to use.

My suggestion for a particular barrel maker are Shilen, Hart, Douglas, and Lilja, all are high quality and are in no particular order any of them will perform exteremly well.

Since this is the Longrange board, why not take the leap and get yourself a long barrel and send it off to have the 300 Tomahawk chambered. Youll be right where you need to be when working with it using information gathered on here.

Good luck and happy shooting.
Dave.

rather to spend money in rechambering better way to purchase a new one
from a great barrel maker

best is to chamber in tight spec than the 300 RUM ( broad throat and lead )

300 RUM is better in 28 inch barrel lenght

I use BORDER , PAC NOR , G SHCNEIDER barrels ,

Good shooting

DAN TEC

Don't forget to get the "triangle window" magazine box or it won't feed worth beans. It will also need some very minor rail work also. If you do, get the longer one from Brownells and have your GS cut the rear of the magwell cut to fit it and you pick up a bunch of mag room for long seating your bullets. Get the barrel throated to suit and you of looking good.

Steve
www.prairiegunworks.com

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.