300 win or 300 RUM

DXHI

I'm anticipating purchasing one of the 2 by end of summer for a combo mule deer and elk hunt. Ive narrowed to these 2 calibers, leaning towards the win mag honestly due to availability of components and price.

Other than a few hundred fps is there that much of a difference in performance?

Gun is going to be a remington long range or a tikka

If you are leaning toward the win mag then that is what you should get. If components are available for the win mag and not the rum then it's a no brainer also. One other thing to think about is, if you are out and run out of ammo or some how lose your ammo you can probably pic up factory ammo anywhere for the win mag Vs. the rum. Just something to think about.

If you are leaning toward the win mag then that is what you should get.

+1 I have one of each and I appreciate and use them both. My RUM is a Sendero so not my first choice on a hunt, especially one with a lot of hiking. Also, if you don't reload the ultra mag has limited choices in factory ammo and you won't be able to pick up a box at your local Wal-mart in a pinch. The ultra mag works best with very heavy vld bullets and large amounts of powder making it somewhat more expensive to shoot than the 300 Win mag, plus brass can be hard to come by.

If I could have only one of the two I believe it would be the Win mag.

JM2C

I have had both , plus some other large cased 30's. I made my way back to the 300 win. Loaded with a 215 Gr Berger the 300 win will do everything I want to do with a 30 cal at the distances I feel comfortable hunting with a 30 cal. There is no doubt the 300 RUM with a 230 Berger has very impressive ballistics. But for my hunting needs taking elk to 1000 and deer or antelope to 1300 my 300 win does me very well. Plus you have to consider barrel life. If you only shoot a 100 rounds or so a year the RUM will last a long time. But for me enjoying long range practice all year I would need to rebarrel a RUM every 1 to 2 years.

Jeff

I too would get the 300 win mag. Also, between the two firearms, the Tikka will be better in the mountains. That Rem LR is very barrel heavy. I would also consider the Savage Bear Hunter in a 300 win mag. I have looked heavily at all 3 rifles and will be picking up the Savage when I get my bonus check. Tikka was a very close 2nd but the on/off brake was the clincher for the Savage.

I say one of each.:) Like several above I do have both. If I was only going to have one like above it would be the 300 in mag. Barrel life will be better, whether you reload or not ammo or brass seems to be more available for the win mag, If your not going to have a muzzle brake the 300 win mag recoil would be more manageable. Once you make up your mind on which rifle you are going with, even though you aren't purchasing until later this year, it might be a good idea to start looking around for ammo or reloading supplies if you are in fact going to load for it. Instead of scrambling for these items at the last minute. Have fun and good luck.

of those two i prefer the 300 wm. the stainless fluted sendero is what took on my sheep hunt. not to heavy not too light.

I have the Remington 700 long range in 300 win mag and I would recommend it. The weight really isn't that bad and tames the recoil down quite a bit. Im running mine without a brake have no problem getting blown off target and spoting my own hits. The gun shoots very well. Trigger sucks but other than that I have no complaints. I have shot it to 700 yards with factory hornadys and it does good as long as I do my part. Good days I can go 2/3 on gallon jugs. I just recent put a load together with the 185 bergers and went .3 moa at 100.

The difficulty of choosing between one of the many 30 calibers is why I have such a bad collecting habit.

300WSM
300Weatherby - Several, maybe more than several. My alternative to the 300WM
3-8/26-Nosler
300RUM - only 2, hmm, I'll have to work on that.

So you probably should avoid my advice unless you have a collecting habit that needs work.

Get both.

but

Realistically, get a 300WM. I'm not find if Remintons but many many are. The Tikka will probably server your purposes very well. I would of course steer toward a Weatherby Mark V or Vanguard.

There are many fine 300WM rifles in what ever price and weight range you desire.

Enjoy the shopping.

Did you consider the 300 weatherby? More power than the 300 win mag, and easy to find brass, compared to the Ultra Mag.

The Tikka T3 is a nice rifle, but not for high BC bullets in 300 win or larger. The magazine OAL is 86 millimeters or 3 3/8 inch. That will force you to seat the bullets to deep. If you don't need a detachable magazine and want a lightweight rifle…consider Blaser R93. About same weight as the T3, insanely accurate and shorter with the same barrel length. Magazine length in R93 is 93.5 millimeters or 3 11/16 inch.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.