300. win mag

matt_3479

Im about to pull the trigger on a Remington 700 Sendero in a 300. win mag for a long range hunting rifle. I will be reloading and was wondering if anyone had any loads. I was hoping to test a few different bullets out. this rifle will be used for moose, black bear, caribou and sometimes whitetail. I hoping to shoot the 210 VLD for long range big game, but was wondering if you had any other suggestions. I have always loved Nosler Accubonds and considered them with the 200gr.

any other suggestons and loads would be appreciated. I was also hoping you boys would help me out with one other decision. right now i have to buy a scope for one of my rifles as for i just sold a scope too my brother with a rifle. I could move my PST too my 7mm or the new sendero. now should i buy a second PST or step up and buy a Nightforce. The scope will be used for long range shooting and hunting!

Put 20 MOA picatinny rails on all your rifles.

It'll be easy to switch scopes and be zeroed with one or two shots.

Continue with the PST and save up for the NF or best optics you can afford.

The Nosler AB is a good choice as is TTSX in the right circumstances.

Nothing against the VLD, but people are saying the 230gr Berger Hybrid OTM is very successful on game even though Berger hasn't yet endorsed it as a hunting bullet due to lack of testing.

-- richard

A good friend of mine just went to the range the other day with the exact same setup. This was the very first time he shot this gun and first load he tried. Not sure what brass but with 74 & 76 grains of H-1000 he shot .5moa with the 210vld. Factory trigger still set to a billion lbs. No signs of pressure. Start low and work up to it and see how it works for you.

Get in touch with BROZ about the 210 and 230gr Bergers and the 300 win mag. He has done a lot of field testing with both on game out to and maybe past 1000 yards.

With the 210's start at .020 off the lands and with 74gr of H-1000 and work your way up. My accuracy load was at 76.5gr @ 2940fps and .015 off the lands.

Mike

Take a very serious look at the 215 berger Hybrid or even the 200 hybrid in your 300 Win. These weights will allow your impact velocity and trajectory to be better and you'll still have plenty of LR energy. The 215 does have the edge on the 230 and 200 though. Certainly not knocking the 230 Target, that would be a great choice as well.

We have indeed tested the 210 VLD and the 230 Hybrids. I also have owned and worked with several 300 win sendero's. For both the 210 or the 230 OTM we found H-1000 to be the powder. A Fed 215M works well for a primer. I have found the RWS brass to require a lower charge of about 3 or 4 grains compared to WW, RP and Lapua. This I believe is due to it having a lower case volume. So I recommend a starting point of 71 to 73 grains with a 210, depending on brass used, and a starting point of 66 to 69 with a 230. Both of the bullets I have used have been one shot killers on game up to elk size many kills recorded to as far as 1000 yards. Since you mentioned moose I would say go with the 230 and I doubt you will regret it. The 300 win is a very capable rifle to 1000 yards. The brass and bullet selection for long range is awesome.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Broz, I'm glad you posted that. I just got a bunch of RWS 300 Win brass and loaded some up the other night. Maximum case capacity of h1000 (full to neck) was 81 grains. I also started low at 72-76 grains and hope to test them over the chrono this weekend. Winchester brass held 86 grains.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.