.300 win mag

How about something like; Berger 190gr match hunting VLD's, B.C 0.570... (75.0gr's) of N165, primer 215M, case Winchester, Vel's should run about 2850 fps.

for deer i would use a 168 berger or cbt at 3050 or 3100. i have never shot a 190 speer . you do not say what rifle.

A few years ago I was reloading for my No. 1 in .300 WinMag. I wanted a paper load so started playing with 168gr Match. Speer was what was on the shelf. I was never really impressed. I switched to 168gr Hornady Match, what a world of difference. I have wanted to play with the Sierra MKs, never got around to it. Now since I've been hanging out on this site I want to play with the Bergers, and SMKs.

I know Ruger barrels have a habit of being picky. Mine definitely is picky. I can hardly wait to get home and start ladder testing, and getting ready for hunting season.

will the 190gr speer bthp match be adequate for hunting? i am looking for some good loads to start with, so any ideas?

You might get a more definitive responses that is more applicable to you if you share what your current hunting set up is (as roninflag noted) , what you are going to hunt, and at what distances.

Good luck!

Ed

well a guy offered me a century arms .300 win mag built on a enfield p-14 action. the original load i have always used was h4350 with a 165gr sgk. i bought some match speer 190gr from a guy a couple months ago, and was interested in using them. use would be for white tail mostly. i have on hand a few other types of bullets, but was interested in trying to work up a load for these first

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.