300 win mag

big mike 2121

As from my previous post, i have put money down on a remington 700 ss 5r in 300 win mag. I plan to hunt with this gun, but not more 500 yds max range. Is it too much gun for whitetail between the ranges of 50 to the 500 yd max? I may be able to get the same gun in .308 (possibly, havent asked of they can get it yet) I am strongly considering a .308 or 7MM 08 because I will mainly deer hunt with this gun. From reading in these forums, it seems the 5r likes heavier bullets...say 175 and up. Just my opinion but I feel its a bit too much gun for what i need.

From 0-800 a .308 will do well. A 300WM some would consider overkill, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. However you are going to go through the barrel faster and recoil is going to be much heavier than that of a .308. I have recently made the transition back to .308 from 300WSM because of expense of shooting and a desire to shoot more comfortably for longer periods of time. Not to sound like a sissy, but the WSM would get a little much after awhile. Not to mention the barrel heats up quicker and brass life isn't up to par with where I would like it to be.

The .308 will serve you well to 500yrd and further if you choose to do so. It is a great trainer for long range shooting. It is cheaper to shoot and the barrel will last much longer than any 30 caliber magnum. If you want a nice comfortable gun that is going to last through thousands of rounds the .308 will get the job done. If you plan on shooting to 1000yrds for varmint and target the .308 will fill the bill. The 7mm-08 can be added to the list I am giving at the moment. If you plan to regularly try and shoot 700+ yards on game (which you will get there eventually, 500 is merely a taste) then the 300WM would be the better option for hunting large game. I hunt with a buddy that has a Lapua, so we plan to use that for the really far shots, and I plan to use my 08 for 800 or less.

Tank

Stick with the 300winmag. More versatile. If you are reloading you can load it down to 308 levels, which reduces recoil and saves some wear on your barrel. You don't have too load the 300wm to max.

the 300 wm is very accurate. with a muzzle break it kicks less than a 308. i bet the 5-r with a 165 baltip or a 168 cbt would be awesome.

I have the exact gun you are posting about 5r in 300win mag with the 26"bbl, and being in Mississippi, my primary target is whitetail. I dont feel like it is too much gun, I shoot berger 210 vld and it shoots great. I have a buddy that has the 5r in 308 and it shoots great too. If 500 yds is your absolute max, and you will only be hunting whitetail then I would go 308. If you will be stretching that max range out farther and could possibly hunt larger game then I would go 300win mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.