.300 win mag

First I agree wholeheartedly with your decision to put the brake on now. My 300win weighs 13.5lbs. And it has a brake. I can spot my own shots from 400 on out. I simply don't see the noise as an issue.

Next, you said you had a BOSS then you asked if anyone had a BOSS. Personally, I think a baffle type brake from SSG, Defensive Edge, or APS would be more effective. Plus, they don't have ports on the bottom.

The primary long range hunting field position is prone from a bipod. The brakes without bottom ports will kick up 1/4 the dust of the BOSS. Shoot that BOSS prone on an antelope hunt and you'll think a bomb went off. Talking about practicing with it on and hunting with it off is a fine theory. In practice it's a pain in the ***! Plus removing the brake WILL change point of impact.

You will give up the tuning feature. But it's effectiveness is somewhat debatable, and you will have to tune your ammo iether way.

I shoot off a bipod and beanbag wether on the bench or in the field. However, I have a great rest. It's called the Benchmaster. Available from Sportsmans and Cabelas at least.

Good luck!

Grit, the reading I have done says there are two BOSS's. One just "tunes" the barrel vibration but has no perferations. It does nothing to reduce recoil. The other is a BOSS muzzle brake. I found the standard one but would like to find the muzzle brake one as well so I can experment with both.

I see. I remember the BOSS weight. My first 300 win had a BOSS. I liked it. But I didn't shoot prone much.

I think you'd be better served to use a baffle style brake without holes on the bottom. Honestly, 90 of all my shooting, hunting, or practicing is off a bipod in the dirt. A side benefit is the bafffle style brakes wont scorch your hood with flames and carbon. I actually blew a hole in my girlfriends canvas topped Mustang with that old BOSS braked rifle!

Even changing from the brake to the weight is likely to effect your point of impact / barrel harmonics.

Skip the BOSS. Take a look at SSG's brakes. His banner is at the top of the page. His prices are fantastic. His brake is effective, and it looks superb!

Don't take my word for it. Post a thread, "Which Brake"? The long range hunters will agree with me. The bench guys and the hunters who aint gettin' down and shootin' far might not.

Last edited:
Holy smokes-I bet that was one happy girlfriend:rolleyes: I like your thoughts on the no baffles on bottom brake. I can see where it would be like a bomb if the brake was close to the dirt-those right there are two good lessons I'm glad I didn't learn the hard way! I'll do a little DD on the brake you are suggesting-sounds like a good option.

A brake is very loud I don't care who's you have. You will only shoot it once without hearing protection and say oh my gawd or even better expletives! I hunt with those ear plugs that look like a horseshoe that lay around your neck. Plenty of time to put them up and in, you have to range 'em too right. You are planning on shooting long range here if I read your posts correctly.

Personally don't know if I would put a brake on that rifle seeing what it is, a collectors piece. Just shoot it and get use to a big mag first, maybe put a Limbsaver on it but keep the old factory pad.

Later get new Sendero or something in that field. The new Sako's are pretty nice. Then put a brake on but I agree you need to shoot one with a without brake first. Then find someone who does have one and revert back to the second sentence of this post.

Good luck with your quest we have all been there!

Straight Shot Gunsmithing

another good one : Defensive Edge ... Covering your 6

A baffle style brake usually has slots cut in the sides. No holes on the pottom. Some have a small hole or two on the top as well to reduce muzzle jump. The BOSS on the other hand is like a sieve, with holes everywhere.

I don't personally see the noise as an issue. You will never shoot it at the range without ear plugs. Only perhaps 1 in 4 hunting situations don't allow time to put in ear plugs. Frankly, I never bother with ear plugs while hunting. I don't find the noise of 1-3 shots bothersome.

Freebore has a good point about it being something of a collectors piece. Although Winchester is basically back. I don't personally think a nice brake would detract from it's value. But, something to consider...

luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.