300 win mag

longrangehunter

Got another easy question. What weight bullets (SMK) are likely to shoot well in my 300 win mag with a Lilja 26" 1:10 barrel. How about the 168's and 240's?

The 168's will probably shoot OK but I'm guessing that you might want to shoot 220's .The 240's again, might shoot, but $155 for a box of bullets(500) is rather expensive to find out that your rifle keyholes them at 100yds. Darryl can probably tell you for sure but I think the 200-220 gr range is probably where you will find your best accuracy with that twist.

I have a Walther barrel on my 300 Win Mag. It is 26" long and a 10 twist. It shoots the 220 SMK very well. I am getting 2850 fps with it. Rufous.

Moosehunter, I am using Federal cases and Federal 215 match primers. I am using H1000 and 77.0 grains is giving 2870 fps. This is a hot load. Do not try it without working up to it. It is likely well over SAAMI max. I was shooting 76.5 grains and got some great groups but was also getting some shots that were well out. I did not think I was flinching but with a 9.3# rifle the recoil was pushing me around a fair bit. So I had Darrell Holland install one of his muzzle brakes. The recoil reduction is amazing. This is my climb the mountains big game rifle so it has a fairly narrow sporter stock. With the brake it wanted 0.5 grains more powder (I have not tried 77.5 and it may be more accurate but at 77 I am happy). I shot 3 groups of 3 shots each at 100 yards with the 77.0 grain load (bullet is 0.010" off the lands). The largest group was 0.8" and the smallest was 0.63" for an average of 0.75". If I had shot all 9 at the same spot I would have had a 1" group. Then I fired 4 shots at 300 yards and got a 2.1" group. This is not that great for many of you but for me I am quite happy, especially considering that it is a light rifle with skinny stock and max magnification is 9x. I cannot imagine taking a shot at an animal beyond about 600 yards since I will not be hunting from a bench, but rather on foot with just a sling and bipod. So the accuracy is plenty for the type of hunting I do. Rufous.

Rufous,
That's the same type of equipment and range that I'm into. Although I would rather sneak in close when possible. I practice a lot of shooting standing, kneeling, and prone off the bipod. I also practice using shooting sticks even though I don't carry them in field. I think this gives me a big advantage over the guys in the club that only shoot groups off the bench.

I was kinda wondering cause Sierra lists their accuracy load for the 220mk as H4831 powder. I was contemplating just working up to their load and seeing what kind of results I get. I have used the H1000 a lot and like it. Also the 5010 looks attractive cause of the price. They list IMR7828 as th emost accurate with the 240 so I was figuring I might be able to use it for both.

OK, got my results. 68gr. 7828/220mk/cci BR primers. .010 off lands. YUCH!!! On the way up they tightened nicely until 72gr. produced .6"groups. Now Im 72.5 and waiting to try again. Not much for pressure signs at 72 so Im not to concerned about .4 over max. Results forthcoming.

Results in on the 72.5. Yuch again. Opened up to 1 1/4 and 1 1/2". Also I went 3 shot groups at .010/.020/.030 and the seating depth made NO diff whatsoever. Gonna go to 71.5 and see what happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.