300 Win Mag???

I sold my .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker because I bought a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro.

BUT, If I wanted something like the very good .300 Win mag these days I'd choose the 300PRC because it has several reloading and head spacing advantages.
1. The 300 PRC can load longer (heavier) bullets without compressing the powder charge due to its longer neck.
2. The 300 PRC is headspace off the shoulder and NOT the belt as with the .300 Win mag. (more consistent)
3. The US Army Marksmanship Training Unit and Hornady worked together developing the 300 PRC as an improvement on the .300 Win mag.
4. The 300 PRC cartridge shape is a bit better shaped (steeper shoulder angle and water powder case) for better, more consistent combustion.

These are the reasons I'd choose the 300 PRC.

Once again thanks all!

This conversation has me considering updating the old one more so than before. I can make some changes that are easily reversed, even above what I had considered originally.

I will think on this for awhile longer. I will get through hunting this year and then start my decision process for real.

A lot of helpful things, but it just makes the wheels in my head spin more, thanks!

Oh, and here is what it is today….. a true classic!
Good luck with your hunt!!!

Bought 700 Remington magnum action ($450) PAC-NOR 28" STAINLESS, SUPER MATCH GRADE BARREL, 6 FLUTES, 5/8"X 24 THREADS FOR MUZZLE BRAKE ($420). Gunsmith mate action to barrel 300 win mag ($250). Archangel 700 adjustable magnum stock(nice stock) comes with 5 round magazine clip.($225) Finished rifle shoots excellent groups.

You mention that you can't bring yourself to put a muzzle brake on the gun due to it being a collecttor. To me, that implies that you'd might sell it someday. If that's true I can why you'd not brake it.

You also mention the sentimental value, that to me implies that it's a rifle you wish to pass on someday. If so, then I see no reason not to brake it.

First and foremost I'd say sort out if it's a long term family rifle that you'll pass on or if it's a collector that you want to cash in on someday.

Personally, I'd say brake it and use it!
Because a pre-64 model 70 in excellent condition is worth 2500 and up. If you modify it at all, it is worth 750. A person may want to keep their options open, not knowing what the future holds. Pre-64 model 70s aren't the same as any other rifle. If you want to modify something, buy a rifle that isn't a collector. I'm 100% on board with the OP in protecting the value of his pre-64.

So, I realize this is a personal decision. I am just trying to get a little feedback.

I am thinking strongly of going with a 300 WM for my next rifle. I already have one, pre-64 M70 that was my dads. It shoots great, but…… it is a shoulder killer. I can't bring myself to putting a muzzle brake on it due to collector and sentimental value.

So here's the dilemma. I can go out of the box with something like X-Bolt, Tikka, bergara, or others for around the price point I am thinking. What would I be looking at custom-wise? Right now I am looking at just the rifle. I will figure out optics at a later time.

My goal is 800+ Yards. This will be used for hunting also. So weight is a consideration, but it doesn't have to be the featherweight option.

I am already a setup to load 300 WM which is another reason. I don't really want a new caliber due to how tough it is is to get certain things at the moment.
Have you considered a clamp on brake from Witt machine? No marks or evidence remains after removal. They work great

So, I realize this is a personal decision. I am just trying to get a little feedback.

I am thinking strongly of going with a 300 WM for my next rifle. I already have one, pre-64 M70 that was my dads. It shoots great, but…… it is a shoulder killer. I can't bring myself to putting a muzzle brake on it due to collector and sentimental value.

So here's the dilemma. I can go out of the box with something like X-Bolt, Tikka, bergara, or others for around the price point I am thinking. What would I be looking at custom-wise? Right now I am looking at just the rifle. I will figure out optics at a later time.

My goal is 800+ Yards. This will be used for hunting also. So weight is a consideration, but it doesn't have to be the featherweight option.

I am already a setup to load 300 WM which is another reason. I don't really want a new caliber due to how tough it is is to get certain things at the moment.
Don't forget about a SAKO. They make some of the best "production" rifles out there. I just had a 280ai built with a SAKO 85 action and it is a dream to shoot. My Smith told me that the SAKO action are as straight and square as any custom actions he gets in. All I know is I have a shooter and I love the features of the SAKO. DBM, Bolt lock, great trigger, safety with a button for the bolt release.

Just look at the classifieds. I am sure there are quite a few and the price that goes with them. Custom is custom, you get what you pay for.

My only 300 win mag is a Ruger M77 tanger. It has had a Hart barrel put on it with a brake, McMillan stock, and the sear replaced. It shoots very well. Do the math on what you consider "custom" or "customizing" and you could get closer to what you want.

I put a 300 RUM together in my garage with a Remage set up. It was carbon, so it was about $850, Rem action $450, Manners EH1 $500, Trigger $100, brake $150, Bottom metal $250. I did have it opened up for a Wyatts box, but you do not have to. It shoots very well. Add all that up and then add labor for a gunsmith. Add $500 and you have a custom action...

Of the rifles you mention (I did not price them) a custom action will cost $1200ish. Again, you get what you pay for.

Look in the classifieds, semi custom/customized factory guns come up all the time. May be something that trips your trigger.
You may want to take a look at ER Shaw rifles...they make a good semi custom rifle that's affordable

Savage 111
300 winmag
200 grain
Muzzle brake
Scope
bipod
3/4 inch stock pad
Very surprising results

Well, I am 90% on my decision.

I am going to put a brake put on. I am either going new stock or replace the existing recoil pad….
Also, I haven't 100% decided on new barrel vs existing. I want to keep the character of the rifle but make it enjoyable to shoot.

This rifle will be passed down from me to my child. So I want to make it comfortable to shoot and enjoy it for the next 30+ yeas that I can enjoy it.

The tipping point, I won't be selling it. I will use it, maybe even take some game with it. :)

The fact it will be an heirloom, I want to shoot and use it. I have a Leupold scope on back order as of yesterday.

It will be a bit of time before all things are done, but shoot it while I got it! I don't feel I am sacrificing anything. After talking to family, they say dad would have much preferred it stay in the family and be used for a hunting rifle. (Vs. a safe sitter)

Last edited: