300 Win Mag???

So, I realize this is a personal decision. I am just trying to get a little feedback.

I am thinking strongly of going with a 300 WM for my next rifle. I already have one, pre-64 M70 that was my dads. It shoots great, but…… it is a shoulder killer. I can't bring myself to putting a muzzle brake on it due to collector and sentimental value.

So here's the dilemma. I can go out of the box with something like X-Bolt, Tikka, bergara, or others for around the price point I am thinking. What would I be looking at custom-wise? Right now I am looking at just the rifle. I will figure out optics at a later time.

My goal is 800+ Yards. This will be used for hunting also. So weight is a consideration, but it doesn't have to be the featherweight option.

I am already a setup to load 300 WM which is another reason. I don't really want a new caliber due to how tough it is is to get certain things at the moment.

I have a pre64 model 70 in 300WM as well. I took the wooden stock off and put the McMillan pre64 stock on. It reduced the felt recoil and the gun shoots great. Make sure you a gunsmith properly bed the action. Good luck

Well if it was me I would throw on the best recoil pad I could find and have a competent gunsmith fit it to the rifle.
Not removing any wood and being sure the original butt pad could go back on.

My 300 win Mag weighs in at 12 plus pounds. Recoil is a non-issue.
(Remington 700 XCR tactical. 26" fluted stainless barrell)

The Bergaras seem like a great value but that Remington 700 style extractor looks really minimal for a magnum. I don't know if Bergara uses a Remington style extractor or they use a sako/m16 style? The rest is all 700 pattern so you could always swap the stock easily to something that fit you better.

There's lots of good choices.

I would definitely go with a 300 win Mag I don't like muzzle brakes cuz they're so loud I prefer a good recoil pads and heavy rifles never bothered me.

I personally shoot a heavy rifle a lot better than a light one it's harder to shoot light rifles well.
One of my friends has a Winchester model 70 featherweight and 300 Winchester short mag and it kicks like a mule even with a break. Maybe the break is just a poor design, but they just turned recoil into noise.

I like your 300 win mag choice. Ammo is much easier to come by if you need it. Be sure to get a good idea of what bullet weight you want to use for hunting and check the rifle manufacturer you decide on using for twist rate. Last time I checked the Tikka was 1 in 11 inch twist rate. I bought a Bergara HMR. Guaranteed sub moa and 1 in 10 twist. Magazine fed and factory threaded barrel. It may be a bit heavy but I really like it.

I've got a few customs. The last factory rifle I bought (other than Tikka) is a browning hell's canyon long range 7mm. Wheat field white tails killed at 400 to 700 yds by many shooters with a little instruction. After a gunsmith trigger job it is absolutely impressive. Always suppressed. Many good options. Just throwing that out.

So, I realize this is a personal decision. I am just trying to get a little feedback.

I am thinking strongly of going with a 300 WM for my next rifle. I already have one, pre-64 M70 that was my dads. It shoots great, but…… it is a shoulder killer. I can't bring myself to putting a muzzle brake on it due to collector and sentimental value.

So here's the dilemma. I can go out of the box with something like X-Bolt, Tikka, bergara, or others for around the price point I am thinking. What would I be looking at custom-wise? Right now I am looking at just the rifle. I will figure out optics at a later time.

My goal is 800+ Yards. This will be used for hunting also. So weight is a consideration, but it doesn't have to be the featherweight option.

I am already a setup to load 300 WM which is another reason. I don't really want a new caliber due to how tough it is is to get certain things at the moment.
Bergara hmr 300wm nib here if interested.

I had the same dilemma a couple of years ago and went with a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300WM (as I noticed a few other guys are recommending). It's a couple of pounds lighter than my beloved Sako that I carried for nearly 20 years and what a difference those 2 pounds make in the field!

I was going to take the brake off because I am not particularly recoil sensitive, it makes the total outfit a couple of inches shorter, and it saves ears... But I never got around to dialing it in w/o the brake so I took it hunting with the brake on. Now I'm glad I did. I've shot two deer and a barbary sheep with the gun and I was able to watch all three react to the shot through the scope. I can't remember ever seeing that with the Sako. It was very cool, even if the reaction was to disappear into the grass.

I have two 300 win mags. I bought a couple of Remington 700s (a 300 5R lr, and a 22 250 vssf) because I got a deal on them but I wanted to try the 5R long range and I wanted the HS precision stock and I wanted a threaded barrel but they didn't have the 26" barrel threaded so I bought that and threaded it . You can get the 24" barrel already threaded, at least you could a couple years ago . And I tried all the premium ammo in it because I wasn't handloading at the time And believe it or not the most accurate round is the basic Remington 180 grain corlocked bullet. I shot a sub half inch 3 shot group with it. I had tried federal premium and scirroc bullets and all that stuff and the basic corlocked basic bullet with a lead tip shot the best, at 100 yd. If you don't wanna brake take the brake off if you want the brake put the brake on. I. I have a JP eliminator tank on it and it shoots like a mild 243. I wanted this for long range target. The look is not for everyone I know.but you learn to love it.. check out my youtube videos.. I can put the JP 3 port brake on it and it's almost as good.
I put in a timney Calvin elite trigger set at 1#.
The long action stainless steel machine turned bolt is as smooth as most custom actions! I cant believe how smooth it is. I went to the SHOT show 2 years ago and tried almost everything. The only custom action i would buy now is a Defiant action.. anyway.. i love the 300 win mag. It will take anything on earth. ANYTHING!

I read some high ed name here even too expensive.. a hell canyon browning will do the job. a savage.. always affordable.. I can still find new old stock rem 700 long range.. aluminium bed stock or same rifle in the magpul version.. .. ruger is an option. Tikka.t 3 why not? depends only on you and your budget..

I had the same dilemma a couple of years ago and went with a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300WM (as I noticed a few other guys are recommending). It's a couple of pounds lighter than my beloved Sako that I carried for nearly 20 years and what a difference those 2 pounds make in the field!

I was going to take the brake off because I am not particularly recoil sensitive, it makes the total outfit a couple of inches shorter, and it saves ears... But I never got around to dialing it in w/o the brake so I took it hunting with the brake on. Now I'm glad I did. I've shot two deer and a barbary sheep with the gun and I was able to watch all three react to the shot through the scope. I can't remember ever seeing that with the Sako. It was very cool, even if the reaction was to disappear into the grass.
p.s I never machined the barrel for muzzle break.. but I finally find an option using the clamp on one from Witt machine.. and it is amazing.. one of the best on the market based on thousands of video and rewiev. anyway I machined for you barrel not just a piece of metal screwed clamped on.

Tikka in any long magnum is very limited in mag length. They are wonderful in the short mags and standards tho. A Christensen arms ,beragra, proof or best of all the seekins havak would all be worth a look.
Love my "new" Benelli Lupo. All the optional adjustments give it a custom feel. Can shoot it a bunch without hurting.

Once again thanks all!

This conversation has me considering updating the old one more so than before. I can make some changes that are easily reversed, even above what I had considered originally.

I will think on this for awhile longer. I will get through hunting this year and then start my decision process for real.

A lot of helpful things, but it just makes the wheels in my head spin more, thanks!

Oh, and here is what it is today….. a true classic!

Attachments

• FC5069CF-6089-4F90-9F93-E84056B5CF28.jpeg
    FC5069CF-6089-4F90-9F93-E84056B5CF28.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 68