300 Win Mag???

I have a HMR it cost $850.00 new shoots 1 hole from day one. It's killed 3 Elk in 3 year and hopefully a 4th this fall. It came threaded for a break. the one I have on it works well. The clip allows for long big bullets to be loaded I use 212 XLD-X. The only problem if you're worried about weight they're not light!

Nice choices to consider above, and hopefully with some good hunting lands available.

Well, I am intrigued by the 300PRC, which is sort of a more modern, reloader-friendly packaging of the 300 Weatherby case capacity in a standard-length case and helpful throating. I guess I don't understand a 300WM being too heavy kicking. One solution to that would be to shoot someone's 375 for a couple of range sessions, along with some 223 or 243 to maintain good techniques. Browning does a 300PRC, which would probably smooth out any feeding concerns that were mentioned earlier in the thread.

In the other direction, I can see getting a Tikka 300WSM. Any of the rifles from 300WSM and more robust could be tuned for 800yards, although a light rifle always helps when walking long distances.

Whatever you choose, sleep on it for a week. When you spend the money you will be able to be sure that it was the right choice for you.

jpndave has the right idea. Take what is your Dad's and make it part yours. Install new barrel, maybe heavier profile but fluted, same caliber with the brake of your choice. I'm very fond of the Winchester claw actions, the old stocks can really increase the felt recoil on the bench/range but I've never noticed when I'm out hunting.

So, I realize this is a personal decision. I am just trying to get a little feedback.

I am thinking strongly of going with a 300 WM for my next rifle. I already have one, pre-64 M70 that was my dads. It shoots great, but…… it is a shoulder killer. I can't bring myself to putting a muzzle brake on it due to collector and sentimental value.

So here's the dilemma. I can go out of the box with something like X-Bolt, Tikka, bergara, or others for around the price point I am thinking. What would I be looking at custom-wise? Right now I am looking at just the rifle. I will figure out optics at a later time.

My goal is 800+ Yards. This will be used for hunting also. So weight is a consideration, but it doesn't have to be the featherweight option.

I am already a setup to load 300 WM which is another reason. I don't really want a new caliber due to how tough it is is to get certain things at the moment.

For what it's worth, I just purchased a Begara rifle, 6.5 Creedmoor, after selling my Mod 70 in 300 Win Mag (sold it due to the recoil, after having a shoulder replaced). I am so impressed with the Begara, shot a under 1/2" 3 shot group. I would absolutely consider the Begara. Purchased from Eurooptic, about $1650.00+-

So, I realize this is a personal decision. I am just trying to get a little feedback.

I am thinking strongly of going with a 300 WM for my next rifle. I already have one, pre-64 M70 that was my dads. It shoots great, but…… it is a shoulder killer. I can't bring myself to putting a muzzle brake on it due to collector and sentimental value.

So here's the dilemma. I can go out of the box with something like X-Bolt, Tikka, bergara, or others for around the price point I am thinking. What would I be looking at custom-wise? Right now I am looking at just the rifle. I will figure out optics at a later time.

My goal is 800+ Yards. This will be used for hunting also. So weight is a consideration, but it doesn't have to be the featherweight option.

I am already a setup to load 300 WM which is another reason. I don't really want a new caliber due to how tough it is is to get certain things at the moment.
In my opinion if you are wanting a gun for 800 plus yards for target shooting then a out of a box gun would be fine. If you are wanting to use it for hunting at 800 plus yards than I would do a custom build. Just my opinion. I hunt at some pretty long distance if and when need be. I do try and get as close to my Charlie as possible. Sometimes you just have to rise to the challenge when I shot presents itself. Custom is usually better either way. If your going to take a animals life then respect it enough to use the best equipment you can get. Don't skip out and take short cuts. The most expensive is not always the best. There are some pretty good out of the box rifles for 1000 yards. Take your time and don't rush your decision.

You have one of the best bolt actions ever made. I would take the factory stock off and invest in a quality aftermarket stock do a little trigger work and be done. It's a hunting rifle not a bench gun and a aftermarket stock and recoil pad will reduce felt recoil substantially. This will be handed down and i would take pride in using it! Just my 2 cents.

My box stock Savage 112 BVSS reliably shoots sub MOA at 100, 200, 300, 500, 600, and 1000 yards with Federal Gold Medals, best was .7 MOA with hand loads. No brake on mine, but it's a heavier rifle, have shot it 60 rounds back to back in matches several times, and it's been bounced around on several elk hunts. I'd buy a decent factory rifle with heavy barrel, add brake or limb saver if you need, and spend the money on decent glass. Several manufacturers offer sub MOA guarantee. I've had a decent $3000 custom, and I won't tell you they're not better, but for hunting, they're not better enough to offset good glass and a few hundred rounds of good practice. My $0.02.... Light and low recoil is possible, but it isn't very affordable.

Sounds like you re set up to load 300 WM and have components, etc.

Sounds like you don't plan on shooting it a lot.

Sounds like it's got sentimental value ( I ve got those too) and you plan to keep it.

Get a GOOD recoil pad on it and enjoy it!! (You could probably add a little weight inside of stock butt and barrel channel. ).

I got a 7 1/2 pound 300WM with a good pad and I can shoot 15-20 rounds in a session. That's practical and tolerable for me. (If I want to shoot 40-50 rounds then I take a 6 CM , 223 or 22-250. Just some "food for thought"!