300 Win Mag???

Chadp82

So, I realize this is a personal decision. I am just trying to get a little feedback.

I am thinking strongly of going with a 300 WM for my next rifle. I already have one, pre-64 M70 that was my dads. It shoots great, but…… it is a shoulder killer. I can't bring myself to putting a muzzle brake on it due to collector and sentimental value.

So here's the dilemma. I can go out of the box with something like X-Bolt, Tikka, bergara, or others for around the price point I am thinking. What would I be looking at custom-wise? Right now I am looking at just the rifle. I will figure out optics at a later time.

My goal is 800+ Yards. This will be used for hunting also. So weight is a consideration, but it doesn't have to be the featherweight option.

I am already a setup to load 300 WM which is another reason. I don't really want a new caliber due to how tough it is is to get certain things at the moment.

Just look at the classifieds. I am sure there are quite a few and the price that goes with them. Custom is custom, you get what you pay for.

My only 300 win mag is a Ruger M77 tanger. It has had a Hart barrel put on it with a brake, McMillan stock, and the sear replaced. It shoots very well. Do the math on what you consider "custom" or "customizing" and you could get closer to what you want.

I put a 300 RUM together in my garage with a Remage set up. It was carbon, so it was about $850, Rem action $450, Manners EH1 $500, Trigger $100, brake $150, Bottom metal $250. I did have it opened up for a Wyatts box, but you do not have to. It shoots very well. Add all that up and then add labor for a gunsmith. Add $500 and you have a custom action...

Of the rifles you mention (I did not price them) a custom action will cost $1200ish. Again, you get what you pay for.

Look in the classifieds, semi custom/customized factory guns come up all the time. May be something that trips your trigger.

Buy once, Cry once!!!

Take $1500 off for the optic and that is what you are looking at for a Top Tier custom and the action isn't "custom" but worked over as good as any. Now I want to buy in Dammit!!

Shane, I am thinking maybe $1200 +/-. So you hit it about right on.

Don't think I can do that one you posted. A little out of my range.

I should add, that I have other 30 cal so shared components (bullets mainly) is nice too with the pinch we are all seeing.

If you go cheap, heavy stock, steel barrel and find a reasonably priced gunsmith you can "build " one for just under 3k. If you want a high end manners , AG or McMillan stock, carbon barrel etc, it will be over 3.

Seekins is awesome. Only negative to me is the spiral fluted barrel, but that just me. But I'd overlook it. Almost did. If you want to dive deeper into customs, checkout Alamo precision. They post guns in stock quote often and will do whatever you want. They did a nice carbon 300 prc for me.

I haven't owned one of these but its a Definace Machine owned company. More than most factory rifles but not full custom prices either.

Tikka in any long magnum is very limited in mag length. They are wonderful in the short mags and standards tho. A Christensen arms ,beragra, proof or best of all the seekins havak would all be worth a look.

I have been watching Christensen for awhile too. Should have mentioned them in my OP.

Eurooptic.com has a 10% off Christensen Arms promo going on now. There's a 300 Norma MPR just calling my name but I'm working on an all-out custom build now in a big 338.
1635110866950.png

Recent Posts