300 Win Mag ==> which bullet ? 208 Amax, 212 ELD-X, 210 LRBT, 215 VLD's

dibbs

Since I just got back a 300 WM with a fresh 10 twist Broughton Barrel, I've read with great interest the articles on the success Broz and others have had with215 Berger Hybrid at long range on both big game & targets. This bullet may be my best choice for my desired uses.

My local gun shops don't have the 215's, but I do have in my posession approximately + or - 500 of each of the others shown in the title. The test target with the rifle rebarrel was with a 210 VLD/H1000 and was a tack driver.

The rifle will be used for both long range target shooting and hunting. Is there a substantial difference in the trajectory of the above bullets, out to 1500 yards, and does one of the above bullets perform noticeably better on big game?

Finally, what advantages does the applied ballistics calculator have over shooter, which I am currently using?

Last edited:
Broz is using the 215 Berger hybrid target, not the vld. His results have a lot of people using them with equal results.

dibbs, I tried the 212eldx in a 300Win with three powders with no success. The 210 Bergers took the H1000 well, but when we loaded six loads with the 215 Berger using H1000 in three and Retumbo in three the results were outstanding with H1000. Retumbo was close, but not quite as accurate. Remington 700, Nosler brass and 215M primers. I would try Norma brass if possible, less runout than the Nosler. Going again Saturday to shoot seating tweaks to see what we get. Didn't try the A-Max. Shouldn't be too hard to find the 215s, they're plentiful here. Good luck

ive had some great success with the 212 eldx. After a little hiccup with brass. I guess rifles like what they like.
Just used federal brass, H1000, and cci br2 LR primers. Loaded to AICS mag length obviously for a 300 win mag. Shoots about 1/2 minute. Although, i could probably shrink it down if i loaded of the lands a little bit, but i actually use the ammo in the box mags.

Whatever your rifle likes. Mine happened to not like the Berger 215's but did like the 200gr eldx. It shoots those consistently sub .5moa if I do my part.

Whatever your rifle likes. Mine happened to not like the Berger 215's but did like the 200gr eldx. It shoots those consistently sub .5moa if I do my part.
im kinda going through that right now, im not having the best time getting the 215's to better than 1.25moa

215 berger, Fed GM 215M, H1000, 30 thou off. This combo has worked in a few 300 Win Mags. Actually never seen a 300 WM that did not shoot the 215.

215 Hybrid is what I shoot in .300WM.
230 Hybrid in my .300RUM.

The 210 HVLD also shot extremely well in every .300WM or .300RUM I have loaded them in. And put quite a few elk in the dirt too.

When I started load development on my .300 WM Mausingfield I used the 215s in Norma brass. I could get them to group between 0.5 and 0.75 MOA but not much better, when I switched to the 212gr ELD-X I can routinely shoot them around 0.25 MOA if I do my part at the same velocity with less powder.

I have also shot the 225gr ELD-M as well, they routinely shoot into the 0.3s but aren't quite as accurate as the 212gr in my barrel. My Model 70 super grade in .300 WM absolutely loves the Berger 230 OTM, I don't know what it is about that bullet but that combo shoots under 1/2 MOA even with the factory sporter barrel.

I could not get the ELD-X to shoot worth a crap in my new, custom, 300 WM.

1" -1.3" at 100. Tried all different combinations of powder, primers and seating depths

I ditched the "X" and went tith the ELD-M (old A-MAX) and it shoots much better.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.