300 win mag vs. 300 RUM

dpevey

As far as versatility which round would y'all suggest? It would be used for deer hunting in SC and long range shooting at distances of 600-800 yards. I was thinking 7mm RUM but not sure as I thought .30 caliber was better at long ranges. Any input?
Thanks
David

fwiw, i like 'em both, but after 3 bbls in 6 yrs with the 300 rum, I re-bbled action back to 300 Win. The rum shot VERY well, but the last bbl (pac nor) only got 830 rounds before "toast", one of my 300 Win's has over 1300 rounds and still going strong.

fwiw, i like 'em both, but after 3 bbls in 6 yrs with the 300 rum, I re-bbled action back to 300 Win. The rum shot VERY well, but the last bbl (pac nor) only got 830 rounds before "toast", one of my 300 Win's has over 1300 rounds and still going strong.

Thats says it. "Speed Costs Money. How fast ya wanna Go?" After doing the large case magnum thing I too am very happy with my 300 win.

Jeff

+3 on both are winners. I really love my 300RUM but it does eat up some $$$. But so does my 338LM so I will rebarrel it when needed gun)

Seriously both are excellent choices for the shooting you are going to do and will serve you well in the woods. It just comes down to personal preference.

I don't think I'd want to use an UM for skinny SC white tail. In that class of cartridges (300WM/300UM), all else being equal (accuracy, optimum bullet weight for the cartridge) "long range" become more about optics and your ability to use them. If I can't do it with a WM,,,,, an UM probably won't help me.

Speed is cool, but accuracy is absolute! I have a 300 UM in a sendero. It is accurate, and deadly with my combo. The barrel is starting to show signs of wear, but still shoots well enough. I recently picked up a 300 win mag, that shoots it's #%* off, and it dosen't throw me around as much. As far as the 7 rum, IMHO, it is TOOOO much of a good thing. The 7 STW is about the most ( and perfect), amount of overbore that a 7' can be. Barrel life is ridiculous. Brass is getting hard to find for the 7 RUM now anyway. The 300 ultra, is awesome. They shoot well in the right gun, and are FLAT and hard hitting. The 300 win mag will last longer, and are very accurate as well. Spin the bottle on the 300's, but get a gun that can handle each. One last thought, 300 win mag brass is everywhere, and made by everybody. ( some VERY good brass)........

For 600-800 yards on a deer there are smaller less damaging rounds that will do it. Like instead of the 7mm RUM, the 7mm rem mag is a great choice with the 168-180 vld's or even the 160 accubond. That being said between the RUM and Winnie I'd choose the Winnie, and actually I'm about to finally get my build rolling and I have decided the 300. Win mag is what I want!

I've got a 300 RUM and a 7 STW that are the main tools. RUM for elk and larger stuff and the STW for the things smaller than elk. Sure they cost to shoot in components and barrels and it's the law of diminishing returns but those things are fast, flat and hit hard. Exactly what I like in a round. That said, a buddy of mine is a die hard Winny Mag lover and he does very well with his. 6 one way, half dozen the other. Get the best deal you can and have fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.